I found a screw in the bottom of my MA70 that just came out!

msg221

I decided to clean seats and wash covers tonight and after taking off the cover to the MA70, I found a loose screw just laying in the bottom of the seat! I can see where it fell out because there is another screw on the opposite side (the one in the photo, just under that half circle shape), but the other half of the screw that is on the outside of the shell and looks like a washer, is missing. I'll be calling Britax in the morning to see what they say. Here are some photos of what it looks like and where it goes.

Last edited:
ADS

msg221

I must have missed that thread! That is scary! It does sound like the same issue. I never would have known had I not decided to wash the cover. This seat has pretty much stayed in my vehicle too. It doesn't get moved between any vehicles and the only time it is removed is if I need the room in my car for passengers when I don't have the kids. I took them out two weeks ago but didn't notice anything then.

ETA: I just looked more closely at the other screw and it is pretty loose and I'm sure it wouldn't have been long before that one fell out as well. I've only had this seat for about 7 months!

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Britax will replace your seat for you. Give them a call tomorrow, and report it to the NHTSA.

Wendy

luckyclov

I called not too long ago because the screws on either side were loose. They're supposed to be loose to accomodate the reclines, however Debra said if they were ever to come *out*, to call right away and they'd send out a replacement seat.

So, call CS right away (stop using the seat in the meantime)...and report it to NHTSA since it's not been an isolated issue.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Here's the link for filing a complaint online with NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm If you'd rather call (not my cup of tea as a phone-phobic person but just in case you'd rather call :)), here's the contact number and hours for calling to file the complaint:
File a Complaint for Child Seats, Tires, Equipment, Vehicles
Monday-Friday (8 am to 8 pm)
(888) 327-4236 TTY: (800) 424-9153

msg221

I called Britax before I left for work and they are shipping a new seat to me today and it should be here on Thursday.

I tried to fill out the form online but I can't even find the right Marathon on there. None of them say Marathon 70 and none of the numbers match up to the serial number I have so I will need to call them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC