Finding out when LATCH started for certain makes/models

wanderingwoman

How do I find out when a car manufacturer started offering LATCH in their cars? We are starting to look for a second car and my husband is adament that we only get a car with LATCH in it (we previously had one and miss it VERY much!). I've always heard approximately 2002, but see some models have it even as early as 2000.

We are the most interested in getting a Subaru - maybe somebody knows at least specifics for this type?

Thanks so much!

ADS

Pixels

You can ask here. It's in the LATCH manual, which many techs have.

Subaru's weight limit for LATCH is 48 or 60 pounds, and that is weight of child and restraint together. 48 pounds if the CR is installed using only lower anchors, 60 pounds if the top tether is used as well.

Forester 2003
Impreza 2002
Legacy 2001
Outback 2001

wanderingwoman

and then it goes to belt and latch or just belt? dd is probably getting close to 40 pounds and we just upgraded to a britax frontier 85 because she got too tall for her britax convertible.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
And as all carseats require the top tether with the lower anchors, it's 60 pounds, weight of child plus seat.

Wendy

Squeaky McMurdo

How many kids are you planning on having before you trade it in? I love our 2004 Subaru Outback, but there isn't much room in the back seat with two kids, and to compound the problem the seats have an indent to cup a person's bottom so you loose several inches by the doors. Some car seats don't install well in the middle either because it's more of a hump than a seat. :thumbsdown:

You can't use LATCH in the middle of a Subaru. (a shame because we puppysat my brother-in-law's puppy and he chewed the middle seatbelt) :(

There are top tethers for FF in all 3 seating positions though. :D

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, they don't. We've had this conversation before. :rolleyes:

Yes we have. And as the T in LATCH stands for tether, seats perform better with them, I wouldn't use a forward facing harness without a tether if at all avoidable, I'm not going to tell parents the nitty gritty of FMVSS213. It's confusing enough for technicians. The manuals I can think of right now say to do the lower anchors, then attach the top tether.

Wendy

Pixels

When you tell parents something that isn't true, and then they find out that it's not true, you lose credibility. The Radian manual uses the word recommended in regards to top tether use, definitely not required. The Radian is not the narrowest convertible, and the SmartSeat is not the only convertible that lacks FAA approval.

Yes, using the top tether improves performance. I always recommend using the tether when using the lower anchors, but there are times when the parent may choose not to do so. In which case, with a Subaru, there is a lower weight limit, and the parent should have that information available.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Yes, using the top tether improves performance. I always recommend using the tether when using the lower anchors, but there are times when the parent may choose not to do so. In which case, with a Subaru, there is a lower weight limit, and the parent should have that information available.

While you are technically correct, the majority of parents need to hear the message that TETHERING IS AN IMPORTANT STEP IN INSTALLATION. They need to hear it loud, clear, and repeatedly until it becomes second nature. There is a fine balance between knowing the exceptions to the rule and addressing those exceptions accurately when they become an issue, and accidentally sending the message that tethering isn't really that big of a deal.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
While you are technically correct, the majority of parents need to hear the message that TETHERING IS AN IMPORTANT STEP IN INSTALLATION. They need to hear it loud, clear, and repeatedly until it becomes second nature. There is a fine balance between knowing the exceptions to the rule and addressing those exceptions accurately when they become an issue, and accidentally sending the message that tethering isn't really that big of a deal.

I agree. Let's keep these types of discussions on the Tech Forum, which is a more appropriate forum to discuss such technicalities. When we're dealing with a tether use rate of less than 50%, we need to be spending time on getting these seats tethered, not nitpicking over which seats technically don't require the use of a tether in the manual.

Bottom line, if the carseat is forward-facing, it should be tethered. :thumbsup: Bravo to the OP for looking for a vehicle that has the equipment to do that!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC