Crazy new Radian harness covers

ADS

Laurelz

My new CA has something similar to these. Sort of... They don't have the wrap arounds but the harness is in a "cover" if you will that goes from the seat to almost down to my sons belly. I wonder if this was Dorel's solution to the twisting straps?!

Jennifer mom to my 7

My new CA has something similar to these. Sort of... They don't have the wrap arounds but the harness is in a "cover" if you will that goes from the seat to almost down to my sons belly. I wonder if this was Dorel's solution to the twisting straps?!

I thought that was dorel's solution to getting it rated to 65 pounds forward facing.

In all honesty, I think they look for like covers to use when carrying the radian as a back pack. I think someone messed up here.

sparkyd

OK, OK, I called. Sheesh. ;)

I called the Canadian office ('cuz that's where I live) and she confirmed that these new harness covers started shipping around January. They are made of memory foam, and are for comfort only. If someone buys a seat with the new covers and they don't like them, they can call Sunshine Kids and they will send a pair of the old style covers free of charge. :thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm honestly wondering if these will be optional this year and become mandatory next year when everyone has to comply with the new standards? Or if they're being added to US seats too?

Have you asked Barb about the covers Sparky? I'll be talking to her in a few days, maybe I'll send her an email and ask her about the covers if you haven't asked already.

I thought that was dorel's solution to getting it rated to 65 pounds forward facing.

In all honesty, I think they look for like covers to use when carrying the radian as a back pack. I think someone messed up here.

The seats in Canada are still just 50lbs and all of them have those dumb harness covers now too.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
i would love a few sets! they look like they would keep my boys from pushing the retainer clips down and climbing out, if anyone doesn't like theres let me know!

Jennifer mom to my 7

I'm honestly wondering if these will be optional this year and become mandatory next year when everyone has to comply with the new standards? Or if they're being added to US seats too?

Have you asked Barb about the covers Sparky? I'll be talking to her in a few days, maybe I'll send her an email and ask her about the covers if you haven't asked already.

The seats in Canada are still just 50lbs and all of them have those dumb harness covers now too.

It might be that the US seats needed it, and that they just still didn't pass in Canada, but the straps performed better....

sparkyd

I haven't talked to Barb about it. If you're going to be talking to her anyway, go ahead and ask her - just let me know what she says! I might see her next week; not sure. Or I can email her. You decide. :)

jubgulia

And, I think in your situation, you are absolutely right!... and would be perfect for him! What is he in now? still the infant seat?

Yup, he's still in the Maxi-Cosi Cabriofix infant seat and has quite a bit of room yet. I believe the rule for that seat is head to the top of the shell because of the support leg. He has at least 3 inches over his head (guessing) and 10+ lbs to the weight limit. Love that seat! :love:

I'm keeping a lookout though because DS2 will outgrow the Coccoro soon and I want whatever we use to be able to be passed down when the time comes.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I haven't talked to Barb about it. If you're going to be talking to her anyway, go ahead and ask her - just let me know what she says! I might see her next week; not sure. Or I can email her. You decide. :)

I'll let you know what she says. :thumbsup:

sparkyd

In case anyone was wondering about this, word is they really are just for comfort. :)

mommy-medic

I would be worried about HE in a FFing child with those- are they being added to seats in the US as well? If so, how do they alter the HE numbers?

How can I get some (in flora) to try out on a RFing 4 year old? I would think they'd be way wrong on an infant and by just looking at the pic, it appears it forces the harness away from the body. :scratcheshead: However, on a much older kid with more shoulder and torso room I might actually see them being liked, especially for RFing. I'd have to see some crash testing and numbers before feeling comfortable personally to use them on a FFing kid- especially since they said if you don't like them to just use the old style ones. JM2C.

canmom

I had the chance to see these the other day with a child in the seat.... All I can say as I think they are a PITA and I wouldn't use them. They are memory foam, about the same thickness as the memory foam in the seat bum area. they are really long and I can't imagine using them on a smaller baby. The child I saw was about 8 months old and about 20lbs, the harness was really hard to adjust with these on. Mom and dad opted to take the covers off, we observed a lot of slack once the covers were removed.

sparkyd

I would think they'd be way wrong on an infant and by just looking at the pic, it appears it forces the harness away from the body.

I just wanted to point out that the seat was set up for a toddler so the harness is higher than it should be for the doll used in the picture and may not have been pulled tight when I took the picture either. It was a last second thought to take the picture before Dad left. I do have concerns about getting the harness tight enough with the covers though; it's harder to check for tightness.

I think you would definitely have to take them off for an infant.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC