Crazy new Radian harness covers

sparkyd

Apologies if this has already been discussed - I couldn't find anything.

I was at a clinic yesterday and saw the craziest harness covers on a new Radian XT - see pic below. Sorry the picture is rotated wrong, it is fine on my computer but wouldn't upload properly. The Dad assured me they came with the seat - and I believe him, I think - but man are these ever a departure from a normal harness cover. I was quite stunned when I saw them. My initial impression is I don't like them - I couldn't tell him to use the pinch test to check for tightness because there is no way that will work with these suckers. I flipped through the manual to see if there were any new rules to go along with these new covers, but I couldn't find anything. Could have missed it though, because I was flipping fast. There are no pictures of these on seats on the SKJP website, nor any replacements for sale.

Anyone else seen these? Impressions? They are so substantial that they almost seem like the kind of thing that would be required (like HUGS are for FF on Britax seats), but I don't think that is the case.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Looks like they may help with making sure the chest clip is at the right spot, but other than that, I would hate those.

Mae

Um. Wow. Those are THICK!

Makes me wonder if this is a "solution" to the narrowness of the harness (on the higher slots), so this is to provide more comfort?

cookie123

Off. I don't use harness covers at all. To me they're just in the way of a good harness fit. Those would NOT seem to be safe at all.

mommycat

Subbing so I can hear any updates. I wondered about fit for a noob as well, though I can see how that would help keep the chest clip actually on the chest, in general. And prevent harness burn. They look very thick though - how "squishy" was the foam?

Calleiah

Are they loose from the seat? Like individual components? Or do they go through the harness slots and 'attach' to the seat? Im reserving judgment until I can mess with them. They look very similar to the harness covers on the Euro Concords/Britaxs etc. How dense are they. If they are dense enough, they might go a long ways towards keeping a harness in proper position.
Interesting, they arent on the SKJP website though.
Do you know what the DOM on that seat was?

sparkyd

To answer a few questions... I don't know what the DOM was, but I'm guessing very recent (like maybe January) because I had another Radian the same day with a Dec 2010 DOM and it had the regular covers.

They were quite firm, without being hard. I didn't play with them as much as I would have liked; this was literally our last car of the day and there was no time for messing around just to satisfy my curiosity. The child wasn't present, so I didn't get to see them in use on an actual human being instead of a very squishy doll. I *think* they are separate, in the sense that you could just un-velcro them and take them off. I think you would have to take them off for a noob.

It bothers me somewhat they they don't discuss their use in the manual (unless I missed it), because I can easily imagine a caregiver keeping them on for a newborn if it doesn't say in the manual that you can (and probably should) take them off. They are so big that they really look like a part of the seat and not just an accessory. Or maybe it would be so painfully obvious that the harness is too loose with them on that people would take them off? :shrug-shoulders:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Someone needs to call and ask. Even if the answer is just that they've "never heard of this before," I'm really curious.

They didn't have these on the demo seats at Lifesavers. Seems like they would have.

Maybe they accidentally sent out a prototype, sort of like the person who received the box o' Monterey parts.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Someone needs to call and ask. Even if the answer is just that they've "never heard of this before," I'm really curious.

They didn't have these on the demo seats at Lifesavers. Seems like they would have.

Maybe they accidentally sent out a prototype, sort of like the person who received the box o' Monterey parts.
I was thinking maybe prototype of a Euro version...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC