Using foreign seats for kiddos who aren't yours

Would you use a foreign seat for a kid who isn't yours?

• Yes, no doubt about it.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • No way.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • If I have discussed it with the parents.

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

cmm7

I just got a TWE from a family I work for. I really doubt I will use it for any kiddos I drive, other than hers since she is obviously 100% ok with foreign seats. How would you feel about driving children in one?

ADS

andre149

I wouldn't do it with someone's kiddos unless they knew the risks/benefit. If the mom gave you this seat I'd use it for her kiddo, but no others... just too risky from a liability standpoint imo.

babyherder

It depends. For a 45 lb 2 year old I would totally use a foreign seat to keep him/her rf. For a 45 lb 5 year old, probably not. For me it would be very situation specific. Of course, parents would always have to be ok with it.

KaiLing

I have a giant 2 year old (pushing 40 lbs, too tall for MyRide, only fits in a Radian RF) and I'm basically afraid of anyone driving my kid around without me specifically checking his seat, especially since I know basically no one who RF past 18 months. So I'd love it if someone properly used a TWE with my kid.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd use it a) for the kid of the family who provided me with the seat, and b) if there were extenuating circumstances, *after* I spoke with the parents. I wouldn't use it for routine transport. (I briefly, albeit seriously, considered it myself -- but ultimately decided that the payoff for an older child, who was reasonably safe FFing, wasn't worth it -- even if I would have preferred to keep him RF.)

icnee

I have for a kid that was 35lbs and under 2 and there was no 40lbs rfing seat available to her, but her mom was also in my car at the time and even if she wasnt I most likely still would have,we are also friends . and when I got the seat my other friends kids wanted to ride backwards and they were 4 and 6 with their moms permission I took them for a ride.

with out the parents knowing I would do it for a 2-3 yo.

Although I am not sure just what is wrong with using a seat from Sweaden. I know it dont pass the FMVSS 213. But what trouble could some one get into.

Cryssy Jane

I've talked to all my current clients and they have no issues what-so-ever if I was to put their child in a foreign seat. After speaking to my insurance, they said they'd cover the seat if for some awful reason there was an accident. That being said I don't have one, but if the there was a need then I would consider it.

Cryssy Jane

emthecountrycat said:
Which insurance company do you have?

I have farmers and their bumper to bumper and everything in-between coverage. I also have major business liability insurance through them for the cars and house due to business regulations and extra precautions.

ETA: Just wanted to re-mention that although I have looked into the possibility, even with the giant kids I watch, there are American seats that have fit the bill at this time and I do not have a foreign seat.

Last edited:

Pixels

Is there some reason that you "need" to use it for another child, such as needing that seat (or seating position) with a different combination of kids? I wouldn't use a foreign seat if it could be readily avoided.

If it meant reinstalling daily/weekly, I might talk to the parents of the other kid. I wouldn't do it without their okay. If I could reasonably avoid using the foreign seat, I wouldn't even talk to the other parents, I just wouldn't use it.

Although I am not sure just what is wrong with using a seat from Sweaden. I know it dont pass the FMVSS 213. But what trouble could some one get into.

The same trouble that you can get into for not using a seat at all.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

As a tech, you should be familiar with your state laws. Most are written as requiring a child restraint that passes FMVSS213. Using a restraint that has not been certified as passing FMVSS213, whether it's a super-duper Swedish seat or a Bumbo booster, carries the same penalties as using no seat at all. What that is, again, depends on how your state's law is written.

cmm7

This was mainly for curiousity. I don't forsee having to use this seat for anyone other than the kiddo whose mom gave it to me, and since they gave it to me since they are ok with her FF now, I don't think it will ever be used!

I was just curious of people's thoughts on this from my other thread where someone said they would never use a foreign seat with a child who wasn't theirs.

hrice

If the parents approved I would have no problems using a foreign seat with their child. I would not do it without their consent. Also, if I had US seats the kids could RF in I would use them first.

Kat_Momof3

I would always talk with the parents first... basically, I wouldn't go against parental approval except on things that are against the manual of the carseat in use.

KaiLing

Yup, Britax Two Way Elite. :)

Oh, a TWE already on US soil not being used... A silent tear is being shed over here by the mother of the nearly 40 lbs not yet 2.5 year old...

Just FYI, the ticket you could get for a non-approved seat appears to be $100 in NY. I assume that's a pretty reasonable benchmark for other states. A cop who is a tech looked at me the other day and said "I can't say I've ever met a law enforcement officer who would care if your kid was in a properly used foreign seat."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC