Untethered dedicated FF seat..

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I am struggling with the seat situation in dh's truck.

It currently does not have a tether (1997). I can have it retrofitted, but even then tethering is going to be really odd as it is going to have to go pretty high up (above the top of the car seat) and down again to the floor. (I hate the seats in the F-150.) Plus it is one day a week, maybe 2 some weeks and soon enough, July, he'll be taking my vehicle when he has kids on the one certain day every week.

So, if he goes untethered, what seat?

He's got a killer torso and is 34.5-35# on average. The only rf seats that work are the CA, RN, and TF (but TF is outgrown by weight practically). I'd like to keep him rf, but the RN has the most terribly on edge install ever and I'm not comfortable with it. The CA, well, it is made by Dorel. I hate the tf to a degree but would love a 40# limit.

Last edited:
ADS

babygirlsmom1005

Both the Radian and Graco Natalius did well untethed in the Canadian Transport testing. When we have to go untethered, we use the Radian XT (like once in a blue moon she rides in Dad's 90 or 91 pickup).

valleyfam

I was going to suggest the Nautilus too. I remember seeing on here that it did very well when tested with out the top tether. At the time I was looking for something to go in dh's pu that did not have tether anchors and like you it was a rare occasion to travel with children in the truck but I wanted my best option. Hopefully some others will chime in soon.

babyherder

I figure a kid is safer rf in a dorel seat than ff in an untethered seat. But if you're going to ff without a tether I'd use one of the seats that gets good numbers without a tether.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I figure a kid is safer rf in a dorel seat than ff in an untethered seat. But if you're going to ff without a tether I'd use one of the seats that gets good numbers without a tether.

Part of my issue with Dorel and the TF is that they have a continuous harness. Dh doesn't, afte 2 years, grasp the concept and it is perpetually loose. I must tighten it almost every ride when they have stopped on a previous one and dh had to put him back in. Also, somehow in the continuous harnesses ds can get out since he's so narrow.. I have hated the TFP for years. :eek: Now I get to replace it. Not going to replace it with a convertible when I could get him a combo. He'll be 4 in Dec and flipped everywhere anyway (we have 2rns). Plan on buying new cco in summer so each kid has two seats and when dd2 kicks the sr32 she'll get ds's rn and he'll get another combo. It is also a short term thing. 1 day a week (sometimes Sundays) until July-ish... We'll have 2 5+ sseater vehicles sometime soon thereafter as well.

macmomma

How about a Fr85 with the long belt path? That is what I just ordered- I tried my neighbors in our car and it is a really good/ tight install (even though or because of- my seatbelt has to be pulled all the way out to make it work- no slack whatsoever). Someone here had suggested it when I asked for info on a non-tethered seat.
My neighbor has an older model Expedition and she gets a very tight install in it too!

fyrfightermomma

Sophie never has a tether (just how the seating arrangement works) and goes between a Radian and GN. I've felt comfortable with both. Although there is nothing in front of her seat (the seat in front is stowed) so that changes my perception a bit. If she does fly too far forward there is nothing to hit.

Mommy2Marcus

Marcus is in the middle of my 99 Intrepid right now in the Nautilus untethered. I am getting anchors installed hopefully sometime this next week, but untill then he is not tethered. I chose to use the Nautilus b/c I have heard it does well not tethered.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC