DD is 13 now and wants to ride in the front seat...

bethng

because the law says you have to be 13 to ride in the front and she knows it! lol Today is Skylar's 13th birthday. I have told her that if there is a back seat available then she will ride there as it is safer. But she is not pleased. Ugh. Any youtube videos on why the back seat is safer?

ADS

Keeanh

Boy, I don't know. I think the best way is to be honest. Tell her that it's your responsibility to protect her, and if anything happened to her because you let her in the front seat, you wouldn't be able to forgive yourself. Tell her she can sit in the front seat when you feel comfortable enough with it that you wouldn't feel you failed her if you were in a crash.

I let my older children ride in the front seat sometimes when I'm driving DH's car, which has no airbags. It's a standard and they like to shift when we're driving around our little "village" :duck: (not on the highway or in traffic in town). But on the highway, or in my van which has an airbag, I like them in the back. If I don't have a full van, I kinda "fix" it by buckling an empty booster in the front seat so they just hop into whatever seat is available, LOL.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Hmmm, has she reached puberty? Do you think she will get any taller?

We let my 14 year old sit in the front now, when it is just the driver and her.

This only started once she hit 14 though...

eta: I still will not allow my 11 year old to sit in the front. She is definitely still growing.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
There's a study from a university in NY that says the backseat is up to 86% safer, but not sure about a Youtube video.

Keeanh said:
Tell her that it's your responsibility to protect her, and if anything happened to her because you let her in the front seat, you wouldn't be able to forgive yourself.

:yeahthat:

Jennifer mom to my 7 said:
We let my 14 year old sit in the front now, when it is just the driver and her.

I myself sit in the back unless I'm the only passenger & I already use myself as an example to teach my daughter I expect her to do the same when she's older. She's already started puberty (still waiting for actual menstruation but it's coming soon). Still, she fits a booster & will use one in the backseat until she no longer fits any. I'd say highschool is when I'll feel comfortable with her up front (assuming proper fit of course) because that's a good time to begin having ongoing detailed disussions about driver's ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Jennifer mom to my 7

There's a study from a university in NY that says the backseat is up to 86% safer, but not sure about a Youtube video.

:yeahthat:

I myself sit in the back unless I'm the only passenger & I already use myself as an example to teach my daughter I expect her to do the same when she's older. She's already started puberty (still waiting for actual menstruation but it's coming soon). Still, she fits a booster & will use one in the backseat until she no longer fits any. I'd say highschool is when I'll feel comfortable with her up front (assuming proper fit of course) because that's a good time to begin having ongoing detailed disussions about driver's ed.

And, umm, that was my point? She hasn't grown in the last year, started mentruating over 2 years ago (umm, don't tell her I told you :eek:) and I think at least needs to see that up front view once in a while.

I can never tell if I am being called out, or agreed with:eek:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Wasn't there a study showing that due to advances in front-seat technologies (airbags, active headrests, etc) the front seat may be safer (or as safe) for adults?

Maybe it wasn't a study, just a school of thought.

Even so, you'd have to determine what constitutes an "adult."

Personally, I wouldn't flip out about a 13-year-old in the front as long as he/she fits properly. I don't know what I'll do for my own kids yet, though.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
And, umm, that was my point? She hasn't grown in the last year, started mentruating over 2 years ago (umm, don't tell her I told you :eek:) and I think at least needs to see that up front view once in a while.

I can never tell if I am being called out, or agreed with:eek:

I'm not really sure what looks like me calling anyone out there :confused: I try hard to speak from my own pov/experience so that others -- specifically the OP -- can apply to their own situations or disregard as they see fit.... I quote what I find useful or I explain why I disagree.

I couldn't tell from your post that your DD has menstruated (I know girls & women who hadn't by their 14th bday).

Kat_Momof3

I let Damian sit in the front in his dad's car, because he is so far into puberty that his voice has changed almost all the way and he's got chest hair... but he's also 5'6"... I told the kids that once they are over 5'5" and either have their voices changed or are done with puberty, they can ride up front, or when they're 15yrs old... they took that well.

but most 13yr olds, I wouldn't... I just can't fit any booster in the middle anymore for Ruthie (even the fpsv booster had had to be widened too far before we switched her to the big kid) and neither boy has proper head support there... so it was out of sheer desperation... now if I HAD to put someone in the middle, it would be Jeffrey as he has less of a lack of proper head support, but since all 5 of us have never traveled in this car and probably never will (barring an unforseen zombie attack or natural disaster when the van can't start)

I also have him put the seat all the way back...

and he never gives me any words or anything about riding in the backseat in my van... he knows he will always ride in back when there are seats open until he's at an age where he's old enough to drive.

And when all 3 kids aren't going in his dad's car, the booster not in use goes in the trunk and Damian goes in the back seat.

Last edited:

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I don't know of any videos, but there is at least 1 study showing that the back seat is safer for kids under the age of 15 that you could share with her.

babyherder

If I had kids now I would want them in the back until they're 15. But when I do actually have teenagers things will probably be different (new research, maybe new driving age, new safety technology, etc) so I don't know what I'll do.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Sorry, Papooses.. it came out on you. But it is a thing with me here. There always seems to be some tech coming behind me to say I am wrong (not that you did that... just, in general), or that my thinking is wrong, or whatever.

Truthfully, if I could actually make enough sense of it and be "that" paranoid, I would make everyone sit in the back, including me! (very hard to do with 7 kids, 2 parents...now having to use 2 vehicles IF we go to the same place as ds would also bring his girlfriend and having to sell the vehicle the 9 of us could travel in very comfy).

But, after KQ's accident... I know it will be what it is. I am comfy with my 14 year old up front... for in town drives... NOT my 11 year old. Still not comfy with my almost 5 stepping 8 year old out of a booster... but I might not have a choice soon. My 5.5 year old is still harnessed... the 4 year old is still rf as is the 2.5 year old. I am trying to do what I can, to make them as safe as I can.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Sorry, Papooses.

No apology necessary! I could've been more clear that I found that quote useful & was just expanding on it with my own perspective -- I appreciate that you checked, though, rather than assuming the worst & holding it against me for later :)

ConnorsMommy

How much does she weigh and how tall is she? I heard that airbags are dangerous for anyone under 5 ft and 100 lbs, I barely am over that so I have to sit farther back from the airbag. If she's under either one of those requirements, tell her she has to wait until she reaches that or until she is 15.

Leche Mami

Another approach you could take is that laws are minimums and just because we can do something doesn't mean we should. You can forward face a one year old baby, etc. but you don't. You understand that she really wants to ride in the front but you want her to be as safe as possible and for now that means waiting.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC