How important is padding in seats to you?

MoreLatte

I really love DDs KF, but it seems so hard and unpadded in the lumbar area. She is a total bear if she's in it much more than an hour, and we are on the road a lot running kids here and there so sometimes we're in the car for extended periods.

I think it would be uncomfortable. I don't carry her in the seat and rarely use it in the stroller. Does the padding of a seat play a role in what seats you buy? Maybe I'm being goofy.

ADS

henrietta

For our every day seats, I think it's really important. We travel 8 hours to and from the beach twice a year, make a 14 hour trip to visit extended family once a year, etc. And, of course, we are in and out of the car at home regularly. For the spares that grandparents use, I don't care, as long as my kids do not complain.

All kids are different though. Some may be really uncomfortable in all but the most padded of seats, and others may be fine in just about anything.

henrietta

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I don't know. To an extent, yes, but no at the same time :D I don't feel like the Radians are *super padded* but they're by far the most comfortable seats for my kids. And our MA is the squishiest, but DS hates it because it gets so hot (even with our denim 100% cotton cover). Even between Radians one is fairly new and still a little cushy, where our older ones are pretty flat (after nearly 5 years of every day use) but DS rode in the older for a 14 hour ride and never complained.

I feel like infant seats are kind of uncomfortable-looking, TBH. Like they don't have the padding that convertibles do? Maybe it's just my infant-seat-hate coming out, lol.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
DD has sensory issues & we spent a lot of time in the car running errands for work or commuting 2+ hrs, so padding was quite important with her. I spoiled myself knowing she would be comfy & just don't want barely padded seats for her lil bro now. However, the daycare kids had Sceneras & DD's spare seats rarely used in family's cars weren't as fancy/expensive, lacked the comfy padding & she usually did ok as long as they didn't decide to take an unannounced trip up the lake (they learned pretty quickly to tell me in advance if they'd be doing that so I could install her primary seat in their vehicle first).

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

cookie123

Kind of. I passed on the EFTA because of that ridge where the foam ends behind the back - it seemed like it would be uncomfortable.
Also so far have skipped the CA because it seems too unpadded.

MoreLatte

The KF has a definite ridge where the padding stops too. I wonder why the couldn't just extend it all the way down to be under the bum too. I didn't notice it when the infant insert was in. Idk how people use this seat so long. I think we're going to pull out the CCO here soon.

Chely7425

I kinda just go by how my kids do in the seats... they like their Radians, and T2 doesn't mind the Scenera for short trips but gets shrieky for longer ones. We did get rid of the CA because they both complained about it.

Kat_Momof3

I think to an extent, it does... I mean, I'm not going to go broke getting the most padded seat or beat myself up if I can't afford a seat with more padding than the cover, but I'm gonna do the best I can with the budget I have.

on the kf, I think that's where the eps foam stops, not padding.

in your situation, I'd be pulling out the cco... but that's also why I tend to prefer convertibles to infant seats (aside from being a babywearer and saving money and all that)... many of them just plain offer better padding.

Pixels

Nope. Kiddo wears a diaper. They come with their own padding that way, at least for the first few years. Plus, they are a lot lighter than adults, so they aren't putting anywhere near as much presssure.

I have a BabyTrend, which is just a thin (after several washings) cover directly over plastic. Neither kid has complained, and both fall/fell asleep quickly in the car. I also have an unpadded Avenue, a cushy Radian, and a cushy TrueFit, and DD will ask to ride in the Avenue.

MoreLatte

I think to an extent, it does... I mean, I'm not going to go broke getting the most padded seat or beat myself up if I can't afford a seat with more padding than the cover, but I'm gonna do the best I can with the budget I have.

on the kf, I think that's where the eps foam stops, not padding.

in your situation, I'd be pulling out the cco... but that's also why I tend to prefer convertibles to infant seats (aside from being a babywearer and saving money and all that)... many of them just plain offer better padding.

You're right, it is where the eps foam stops on the KF. I just wish there was more eps, or at least the cover was a little thicker. Makes me feel bad for the kiddos who practically live in their seats, which is pretty popular in my area:rolleyes:

BabyKaykes

It's important enough to make me choose a more expensive seat because of it. It's the reason I ditched our Scenera and got an Uptown. DS generally complains in his TB. He has never made a peep in his Monarch. I factor it in because we drive A LOT during the week.

Years ago my goddaughter complained DAILY about her seat. Her back hurt. Her butt hurt. Her head hurt. It wasn't comfy. We called BS. Then I washed the cover one day and reazlied she must have felt like she was sitting on concrete covered with a thinning towel. It was a Graco Cargo.

moonangel12

I think it likely depends on the child. DS screamed in the infant carrier starting around 5 months. As soon as we would get near it he would arch his back and start to fight... it was awful. I figured comfort might have been an issue so I splurged on a Marathon and things were much much better after that. He still wasn't a huge fan of long car rides, but at least getting him into the seat wasn't an issue. DD didn't seem to be bothered as much by it, but I prefer convertibles over infants seats anyway. I like the infant seat for the first few months when they sleep alot so I don't have to disturb them as much, but after that it's convertibles and baby wearing - much easier and takes up a lot less room (shopping and stuff), plus hands free!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC