Question Why did you become a tech?

JVH

I'm new here on carseat.org - but I've been reading these posts for a few months now since I've become totally car seat obsessed & crazy about car seat safety. It started when my DD (second born) needed to move out of her Primo Viaggio seat and I started looking for a new seat for her. When my first was born, I am ashamed to admit how he was sitting in car seats and how dangerously it was installed! (thank goodness nothing ever happened!)

Anyhow, I bought a Britax Diplomat for her and since then, switched all the carseats over to better , safer seats (in my opinion!) Advocate/Nautilus in one car & Boulevard/Frontier in the other :)

I constantly see friends and family who have their kid's in seats that A) they shouldn't be in, B) installed incorrectly and C) straps that serve no purpose b/c the chest clip is at crotch level! I feel like I have to bite my tounge every, single time b/c I don't want to be that 'know it all friend' ... BUT, I feel like riding in a car is the MOST dangerous thing my kids do and it's so important for them to be safe!

I was thinking about becoming a tech so that I was educated when giving my advice, and that the advice I was giving was accurate. I am curious as to why others are techs and what the process is :)

And it's nice to finally be in touch with other car seat crazy people - my friends roll their eyes when I point out their car seats.. lol :)

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I was a mom of 2 and pregnant when I became a tech. I become a carseat nut before dd1 was born 10y. I knew what I wanted because this board and another carseat board. Thanks to them I always bought the right seats at the time. I got to know out local techs and 2 of them suggested I become one. A class became open near us and I took it. I don't work outside the home, so it has nothing to do with my job.

We have since moved and I love the group of tech I am with for the most part. I answer our carseat phone. I get to answer lots of questions. This week a parent asked what would be approriate for their 3y. Someone had said a booster, but also gave our # for them to double check.

So, if you want to do it, go for it!! Its fun. Techs on here know so much and are a great help if you ever have questions.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

mommycat

I got carseat addicted while researching for DS2's carseat - I found this site and that was that. Much of the reason is that I found out how much I didn't know first time around and how much info was not easily available through mainstream sources. I was frustrated that there wasn't someone around who could have told me there was stuff I needed to know and wanted to be able to be that person for others.

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
I liked all things baby and at the age of 16 I helped my sister research what kind of seat she should get for her 40lb 2yr old (that was 10 years ago!). I spent a lot of time on online forums. I wrote a persuasive paper on the car seat laws in our state (I'm also in Iowa) and while doing my research I met a local tech who strongly encouraged me to get certified. I took the class at the age of 18--a month after graduating from high school! I haven't let my certification lapse in the last 9 years and love being able to help my family, friends, co-workers, etc. some solicit advice and I also offer my unsolicited advice as well. I got married last year and we hope to have kids in the next few years. I'm so glad that I'm still a tech as it's nice not having to worry about going to get seats checked and worrying about doing it right!

RachelND

CPS Technician
When my oldest was born (he's almost 6) we had no idea what we were doing. A friend had told me the nurse at the hospital would help, she didn't/couldn't. That car ride home was the scariest ever! I started researching online, my husband found a local place to get a seat check (I have no idea who was running this place or what it was, but all they did was look at the seat and tell him it looked ok!)

I learned a lot in my research, and then started to notice other people's kids and seats and how they weren't used correctly. Even though we hadn't known what to do, I was still pretty shocked to find out that so many people didn't know. We did everything "right" except for turning him FF around 14months.

When my 2.5year old was born I had a question about the LATCH (our first car didn't have it so I wasn't sure about something). I ended up finding our local SK's and we got an appt. When we got the seat checked (which we had perfect btw..) I asked them about doing seat checks. they were really excited :)

I didn't actually call to get into a class until my son was 18months, not long after my cousin turned her tiny 8mo old FF. No amount of information I gave her could convince her that he should be RF so I decided to take the class and hopefully i could help other parents not to make some of those mistakes..

(sorry it's so long!)

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I started researching carseat safety after my friend was killed in a car crash a little more than two years ago, my senior year of highschool. I wanted to keep the kids that I babysit as safe as possible. It eventually became something that I'm very passionate about, and I decided to be come a tech. I'm young, but I absolutely love it. I hate seeing kids that are not riding safely in cars.

Isn't it nice to find more car seat crazies?! :)

leighi123

Because I stumbled on this site asking about the 3-1 seat, and got told NO get something else, started hanging around here once I found out WHY something else would be better, found out about ERF and was convinced in about 2 seconds to RF as long as possible.

Then I got my TrueFit in the mail (on pre-order when it first came out), and signed myself up for the tech course. I was the only non nurse/paramedic there.

So mostly from hanging around here too long, it rubs off on you.

fyrfightermomma

Because I couldn't save a 2 year old in a minor crash who died of internal decapitation. That mom's screams will haunt me forever. I will not let that little boy's death be in vain so I will continue to teach others

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC