good spare booster?

Baylor

I need a booster for transporting other kids in my car and for my son to use in other cars.

I don't really want a turbo because I don't want to have to deal with it falling apart. I don't want to spend too much right now, But I need to have one.

I want something I can get now. The one I really want is a Monterey, but I have to order that.. Can not get it around me.

I have a Walmart, Target, Kmart, and BRU AND TRU near me.

ADS

MoreLatte

I really like the Compass/First Years booster because it folds and can be stored easily in the trunk. It fits my DD nicely.

I have the B570 but I think the new one is called the B540. It's on the walmart website and not too pricey (I'm on my phone or I'd link for you, sorry)

Baylor

What about just picking up a Literider?

I have a literider. I am just not comfortable at all with my son using it in someone else's car or putting someone else's child in it who is really not size or age appropriate for it in my car.. Even if they don't ride in anything in their own car. my son only uses it to drive up the street for school and back. Any where else he is in the GN.

I hear kmart has the pronto on sale for $25. It's super tall. It needs head support, though.

I was just there to pick a wii up for my son. I saw the Pronto but did not know anything about it. It was listed at 34.99.. Maybe I will call and see if it is on sale. The kids were doing the itchy dance so we had to get out.. I do have head support at all positions..

I looked at the big kid too. It was 39.00.. There. Not too bad.. I like that the arms go up.

I really want a Monterey when he is ready for full time booster, But I need an in between that will do for him and other kids in a pinch.

mommyfrog

The Monterey does the same thing as the Turbo when you pick it up. It doesn't always fall apart but does fall down. I've just learned to carry it differently to prevent it.

Baylor

I looked it up, the kmart sale starts on Sunday.

Thanks. I will head over and maybe get 2 then. That is cheap.

The Monterey does the same thing as the Turbo when you pick it up. It doesn't always fall apart but does fall down. I've just learned to carry it differently to prevent it.

Really? I did not know that. Why do they do that? How annoying. I don't really mind for me.. I have enough seats to keep them in all the time..
But I would be worried if I gave it to someone to use. They may just toss the back in the trunk if it came apart.

Thanks. I know I have asked before. What I am realizing is that there is a myriad of different reasons you could need more than one seat.

Chely7425

If I was buying a seat for a spare, I would probably buy a Turbo... the Big Kid is pretty short. I have one as my spare "oh sh*t" seat for my nephews but that is because Chrissy got it for 13 bucks at Walmart and I couldn't turn that down!!

henrietta

I really like the Compass/First Years booster because it folds and can be stored easily in the trunk. It fits my DD nicely.

I have the B570 but I think the new one is called the B540. It's on the walmart website and not too pricey (I'm on my phone or I'd link for you, sorry)

Oops--little mix up here.

The newest one, that fits kids better, is called the B570. B540 and B530 are two of the older models (still being made though).

henrietta

Kat_Momof3

keep in mind that seats that convert to backless often have that issue because they convert easily (which is good when you want to send little Joey or Janie along with grandma and her older oldmobile alero (or other car with a middle seatbelt that is a lap-only ETA - thereby, you can't simply put it there and use it in highback mode... and it HAS to go outboard and fixed headrests that angle out) and need to just pull the back off so Joey/Janie can ride in grandma's car... or in my case, because I don't trust grandma and grandpa to help him and he fits the backless just fine for that short trip... and/or he wants to ride in the third row with his favorite cousin only 4mo apart in age and the Monterey gets tippy in the third row... AND it gives me an excuse to raise the headrests for both kids, because my nephew was riding with the headrest all the way down.

aka... I like to be able to send a backless for those situations... they're easy and kids can install them themselves from the time they're able to ride in them (well, in my case, starting at about age 6.5-7.5).

for an inexpensive seat that you want to fit most booster riders well and doesn't fall apart, I'd pick up an evenflo big kid/big kid sport or (though it's shorter than most boosters) a harmony dreamtime

Last edited:

Baylor

I think I am going to grab a pronto tomorrow just because it is so cheap, and I will have one for now. It looks like it goes higher than the others..

U

unclemat

keep in mind that seats that convert to backless often have that issue because they convert easily (which is good when you want to send little Joey or Janie along with grandma and her older oldmobile alero (or other car with a middle seatbelt that is a lap-only and fixed headrests that angle out) and need to just pull the back off so Joey/Janie can ride in grandma's car... or in my case, because I don't trust grandma and grandpa to help him and he fits the backless just fine for that short trip...

:eek: :thumbsdown:

Booster seats must not be used with lap-only belts!

RTFM!

hrice

unclemat said:

RTFM!

This. Never use a booster with z lap only belt. And for that matter never put a child (or any other person that you value their life) in a seating position with a lap only belt. They should ONLY be used for installing harnessed seats. Otherwise it is a *dead* seating position.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
keep in mind that seats that convert to backless often have that issue because they convert easily (which is good when you want to send little Joey or Janie along with grandma and her older oldmobile alero (or other car with a middle seatbelt that is a lap-only and fixed headrests that angle out) and need to just pull the back off so Joey/Janie can ride in grandma's car... or in my case, because I don't trust grandma and grandpa to help him and he fits the backless just fine for that short trip... and/or he wants to ride in the third row with his favorite cousin only 4mo apart in age and the Monterey gets tippy in the third row... AND it gives me an excuse to raise the headrests for both kids, because my nephew was riding with the headrest all the way down.

RTFM!

This. Never use a booster with z lap only belt. And for that matter never put a child (or any other person that you value their life) in a seating position with a lap only belt. They should ONLY be used for installing harnessed seats. Otherwise it is a *dead* seating position.
Now I read that differently. As in, the middle is lap only, and the outboard have the wonky headrests therefore needing a LBB outboard because a HBB won't fit there. I truly don't think she was saying to use it in the middle :twocents:

Baylor

Now I read that differently. As in, the middle is lap only, and the outboard have the wonky headrests therefore needing a LBB outboard because a HBB won't fit there. I truly don't think she was saying to use it in the middle :twocents:

I thought the same thing.. That it was a weird back seat in general and a regular HBB would not fit well.

mama2girls

I'm completely sure that's what she meant. She was pointing out that none of the rear seat positions would work w/ a HBB.:thumbsup:

mlohry

I was just over at a friend's today helping her figure out a 3 across in her Ody and she just picked up the new Evenflo Big Kid Sport, the one with the Amp for the low back part of the seat, but it comes with a high back, that was a nice cheap seat, it was under 30$, which is a steal and she kept moving it around to different spots and the back never fell off, impressive! You can buy it at most Walmarts now. We have the HB TB and it's horrible for the back falling off and we tried out a Monterey for my DS this weekend and that thing was HORRIBLE too, the poor sales lady had to put the back on like 4 times, and it is not easy to get back on.

I totally understand why you don't want a LB booster, but that Literider was amazing to me. My friend also picked one of those up and that thing fit every kid she tried in it for the lap portion, not the neck from a 3 year old to a 7 year old, it was really a lap belt positioner, not a tummy belt positioner. She would obviously not booster a 3 year old, but it fit her perfectly on the lap, just as well as the 7 year old.

Holly

RTFM!

She knows that. That's not what she was saying.
She was saying that a low back booster is preferrable over a high back in the situation of a kid needing to ride with someone who has a car that only has lap belt in the middle (so NOT safe there) but seats or headrests on the outboard seats are slanted and wonky and don't allow the high back booster to fit correctly. So having a backless booster would be best in those situations, so have a booster that can convert is good.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC