Bad idea? Rf Scenera

Cilia

OK, so I picked up a 40 # Scenera at Target today for DD1 to be rf in. She is 4 years and 8 months old and expressed a wish to rf again. Was this a bad idea?

So far I have not yet installed it, but tried it at the store. She had at least one inch of shell above her head. I have not yet read the manual, but I thought I'd ask here first anyway...

It said that it fits kids that are up to 40 inches tall rf. DD1 is close to 41 inches tall... She is about 34 # with clothes and cast. Is she too tall for this seat? Should I just return it? Her RA50 fits her very well, but she is only 1 # away from the limit to rf right now (with cast and heavier shoes).

She will also start school in the fall - how will she feel about being rf then? I know she will probably not be in a booster due to her low weight, but rf? Maybe this is just something that is fun for a few days?

WWYD?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I really wouldn't have bothered with that seat, it's pretty short for kids that tall, she may have teeeeny bit of growing room, if she's got long legs and a short torso, but it's not toooo likely she has even that (my dd was 42" and almost 4 and she was AT the 1" limit 18 months ago).
A good deal on a Complete Air would be a better way to spend the money, it's so much taller, can be used FF longer, and will give her a choice to RF or FF for longer.

Cilia

Her torso is 14 inches, if that makes a difference.

Complete air - what would a good deal be? And does it come in pink?

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Does it not have the 1" rule? We aren't to either of the limits yet, but never really thought anything different than 1" of SHELL... :confused:

Cilia

Does it not have the 1" rule? We aren't to either of the limits yet, but never really thought anything different than 1" of SHELL... :confused:

That is what I thought for both the Scenera and the CA, but on the specs they both have for rf to 40 # and 40 "... :shrug-shoulders:

henrietta

But now I read that it is rf to 40 # and 40 inches... No gain there...

But the CA is a good 6 inches taller than the Scenera. So, it's a personal choice to go against the 40" tall limit. I would feel completely comfortable using it even if my child were 41" tall, as long as the top of his head was at least one inch from the top of the shell (or headrest, if the manual allows that).

Almost every seat has a basic "one inch from the top rule"--the general consensus seems to be that this is safe, and many techs do it w/their own kids even though they may not be advising it necessarily.

I would go w/the CA.

hths

henrietta

Cilia

Well, you guys were right. She is too tall for the Scenera so that one is going back. Or, she might not be too tall just yet, but she will be if she just grows a tad more, so no. I'd rather stick with the RA50 since we will gain some more weight room in just two weeks when her cast comes off and it will be flipflop season here in the dessert.

If she still wants to rf then I might look into getting a good price on a CA.

jjordan

I personally wouldn't go against the manufacturer's recommendations (ie max 40" height limit for RF) to RF a child who is 4 yrs 8 months. If she has height growing room in the scenera, then she will have growing room in any of the 40# RF seats. So if you really want to RF her, I'd get a seat that explicitly allows RF until the head is 1" from the top of the shell. (Choices would be a radian, Britax convertible, or a bigger Evenflo convertible.)

But honestly I'd probably not buy a new seat and just turn her FF in the roundabout50.

Cilia

But honestly I'd probably not buy a new seat and just turn her FF in the roundabout50.

Well, I will see what she says in a couple of days. I will keep the scale by the door and keep her rf for now. Who knows, she is a very fickle 4.5 year old, so she might change her mind about rf by Mon. :rolleyes:

I turned her ff almost two years ago (I know, I should have had her rf even longer and I am still mad at myself for turning her so early - at 3). The seat DD2 is in will expire in march next year, so we will need a new seat then. I just don't know if I should go for a combo seat for DD1 and just pass the RA50 down to DD2 or if I should get another convertible for one of them. If we get a radian, I could easily rf them next to each other, but I cannot remember just how far forward the front seat has to be then. Nor do I remember if DH can drive with the RA rf behind the driver's seat...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC