rfing or ffing?

melniemi

My dd is 4y 3m. She is 31-32#s and 39" tall. She still fits rfing in her marathon, has at least an inch to grow torso-wise. I'm torn about turning her ffing. She would like to ff, but doesn't complain about rfing.

We bought a new car. It won't be used as often as our older, less safe van. Would you be inclined to keep her rfing in the van, but turn her ffing in the new YukonXL? I'm thinking it would be a good compromise - so she gets what she wants in a sense, but she'll be safER in the van.

I need to buy one more seat - might buy 2, but only "need" one. So do I buy a FR85 or something to rf? I have 2 convertibles and need 2 for baby, 3 if dd stays rfing in one vehicle.

So, am I crazy for wanting to keep her rfing? I was fine with turning her at 4 and after the snow melts(it's almost gone finally), but now with all the links and such on fb, it's making me second guess.

Thanks - I know I'm overthinking all this but now that I 'need' to buy some seats, I want to do it right:eek::p

ADS

rachelandtyke

I think keeping her rf in the older, less safe van and ff in the new vehicle is a good compromise since she wants to be ff and is at a reasonable age to do so.

Mama Jo

Personally, if I was buying a new seat for a 4 year old, I wouldn't buy a convertible. I'd buy something that would last longer.

I think letting her ff in the new car and keeping her rf in the van seems like a good compromise. But I wouldn't worry about ff her at that age either, if she does start complaining.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Personally, if I was buying a new seat for a 4 year old, I wouldn't buy a convertible. I'd buy something that would last longer.

I think letting her ff in the new car and keeping her rf in the van seems like a good compromise. But I wouldn't worry about ff her at that age either, if she does start complaining.

But, if this 4 year 3 month child still fit rear facing in her marathon... umm anything would last longer;) A radian would probably get her to at least 6 harnessed, if not longer. I think a frontier would be overkill for a child that size.

I do still have my 4 year 3 month old rear facing, in his radian xtsl, but he is a bit bigger:) About 40 pounds, 42? inches. He would not fit rear facing in a marathon by height, as he has a longerish torso, too, at about 16 inches. I had the same thoughts, that I would flip him after the snow this year, etc... but I too am having doubts. I might just go to the limit of the seat. I don't know.

Mama Jo

But, if this 4 year 3 month child still fit rear facing in her marathon... umm anything would last longer;) A radian would probably get her to at least 6 harnessed, if not longer.

True, size-wise, a FN might be overkill, but she likely wouldn't have to buy anything after the FN. If she got a RN, she'd still need to get a booster.

Personally, I'd get the FN, but that's not to say that's the best or right decision for anyone in this situation. A RN would be awesome too, and it could be passed down or used for a younger child if needed. Quite honestly, both the FN and the RN are my 2 favorite seats ever, so I'd be perfectly content with either one of them. I'm just looking at it from the standpoint of having it last through the booster years as well.

wvmommy007

If she isn't complaining, I'd leave her RF. But I wouldn't buy a convertible for a 4 year old, unless I bought it to pass down to a younger child.

ETA: I guess I would RF her in the van and FF her in the newer car, to avoid buying another convertible.

Last edited:

NannyMom

Will either of your convertibles expire before DS is ready to FF? If so, buy the convertible for DD, then pass it down to DS.

Sofi (4.5yrs) prefers FF, but I wish she would RF, so I know how you feel. But after 4, if she needed a new seat, it would be a Frontier/Nautilus/Maestro.

melniemi

Thanks for the input. I have 2 Frontiers already and much prefer them over the Nauti and Maestro so I'd go Frontier if I get any combo seat.

I've been considering a Radian - concerned about the loosening harness problem lots of people have.

I've also been considering just getting baby a second bv70 for the new car. My marathon is exactly 3 yrs old so it won't expire until baby is over 4.5yrs. Also considering a RA50 for one car for baby since it is only $128 at Target until today or a myride, also on sale at Target through today. I love my bv70 tho:love: Baby sleeps so great in it.

She has ridden in the Fr a few times and fits great. I'm not concerned about it being overkill, I don't intend to use it as a booster and I love it as a ffing harnessed seat.

So....I have the seats in my siggy in my van. I got dd1 a Probooster for the new car. I have a Fr and a backless turbo for dd2 and ds1 for the new car. I need a booster for ds2 and a seat for baby.
Dh doesn't care what I get. Ds2 really likes the ProBooster so I might get him one for the new car as well - I need to check fit in the car first tho on both kids - or I could just go backless for ds1 in both and give ds2 the parkways for both, might start with that and see how ds1 sleeps in a backless in one car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC