Kiddy World Plus

mamakc

This seat on the blog is fascinating me. I learned a little about impact shield boosters a while back and I am impressed. But I am curious, who would this seat actually be used for? If kids 20-40lbs should be RF (ideally), who is this seat for? Especially at that price point!

ADS

jessi f

Oops, posted before thinking ;)

ETA: It would be good for younger kids that need to FF for medical reasons.

christineka

This seat on the blog is fascinating me. I learned a little about impact shield boosters a while back and I am impressed. But I am curious, who would this seat actually be used for? If kids 20-40lbs should be RF (ideally), who is this seat for?

The kids who for whatever reason can't or won't be rfing. Some kids get car sick rfing, or have medical issues, or there are kids like my 6 yo who are super light, but old enough that rfing isn't what they want to do anymore.

mamakc

When we first saw it, they said it couldn't be used with a lap-only belt, but they said they were going to work on getting it approved for that. I don't know if that has changed or not.

Seems like it should be able to be approved for it. It works w/ Latch which is basically a lap belt!

I love cool new seats, but I don't think I'll ever *need* this one :thumbsdown: LOL

Jennifer mom to my 7

I think they are hoping to up the weight limit for the states. I think 50 pounds would be perfect. Just enough. It makes quite a tall booster, so I think it might be worth it to buy for my now 4 year old, when he turns forward facing.

christineka

When it come out, I'm going to have to try it out in person. I like the shield, the super tall booster, and the cool belt guide. My kids don't need it, though.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
They're looking to get the shield approved to 65 lbs.

Their rep at Lifesavers kinda ticked me off because she kept saying over and over again how because of the shield their seat is as safe for a smaller child as a RF seat.

I don't for a second believe that. It might be safer than a harness, but I don't see how it could possibly safer than RF. And even if it is somehow true, it's an awfully confusing message to be sending. (RF until 2 unless you have a Kiddy!)

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
i just don't understand...maybe i'm out of the loop it looks just like those boosters i was in when I was little except with a back? .

boost-2.jpg

I just don't understand how it can be safer than a harness plz someone school me?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
It is way different in its construction and function and they have been used in Europe for quite some time. The shield is much bigger and is up against the child's body providing support from the chest to the hips.

mamakc

OOH I just thought of a reason why I might "NEED" it. I could use it to clear up some space in our little car, since DS should be RF for 2 more years. For a 2-4 year old, would it be an acceptable seat to use FF in a small car, to get the front passenger farther away from the airbag? :) Hope that made sense

christineka

I was thinking it was a good seat for the car. The kids from 1 (almost 2) up to 11 would fit in the kiddy world.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's neat in person. If you can see my avatar, that's exactly the color I'd like :whistle:
Here's a picture of Leah in her Recaro Start with a similar shield (she got too heavy to RF in any of the seats I owned at the time, but I just happened to have one of these :whistle::cool:) https://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/RandomCarseats#5545016703684873666

The shields are really nothing, nothing like the shield boosters we had here, they are solid/heavy foam right up against the chest, spreading forces evenly and not allowing submarining or ejection (huge problems with the US shields...)

urchin_grey

I can't waittt for these to be released. I don't think I'll use it as a primary seat but now that I'm in a house with 4 little boys, it might help to have another option than trying to fit 3-4 RF seats in one vehicle. I just hope its narrow enough to work in a 3 across...

cowgirlsmommy

They're looking to get the shield approved to 65 lbs.

Their rep at Lifesavers kinda ticked me off because she kept saying over and over again how because of the shield their seat is as safe for a smaller child as a RF seat.

I don't for a second believe that. It might be safer than a harness, but I don't see how it could possibly safer than RF. And even if it is somehow true, it's an awfully confusing message to be sending. (RF until 2 unless you have a Kiddy!)

The Kiddy bubble! The newest, safest thing since the Britax bubble:sarcasitc-bow:

Kat_Momof3

remember, kids come in all sizes... a 3yr old who is tiny and only 25lbs and wants to be forward facing could use this. Families who just won't keep their kids rearfacing past 2 and have slim/petite kids could use it.

Also, remember they said they want to see it approved for higher weight limits, it just hadn't yet.

there are many on this board, though, with petitie kids (Bram's mom urchin_grey is one who REALLY sticks in my mind... her son is 5 and "pocket-sized") and by the time his bone age is to where she's comfortable turning him, he'll be at most about 30lbs... from what we've seen in crash tests from europe, the pallas/shield actually provides better crash force distribution than a harness, so I know at least for her, this would be the seat I'd be recommending.

it can indeed be used with a lap-only belt, which is a great advantage... we loved that with the britax laptop/romer vario, but as britax says there is no way to make it latch compatible (though I think that this seat shows that it could be done... which is why I hope SOMEONE points that out to Sarah Tilton at Lifesavers), and seats HAVE to be latch compatible unless they are booster seats to pass US standards, they discontinued it.

I still want to see the laptop make a comeback because it was a very inexpensive solution and very travel friendly because of size (and it could definitely have been faa approved, since it could be used with a lap-only belt, though I don't know if it was or not)

Urchin, when did you get these extra boys?? lol... babysitting?

oh, and just to add to what Julie posted (and if you are at lifesavers, Jools, could you please attack Britax with how the Kiddy people made a shield latch-compatible and point out that a latch strap that had connectors that could store on one side of the seat in a pocket similar to the one they'd made for the manual, or in the front even would totally be doable so they could bring this back for easy 3-acrosses, travel seats, and lap-only belts which still exist in cars that are recent) here are some pics of my kids with the laptop

Damian was 6.5yrs, 54", and 63lbs.. so 1" past the height limit... just demo'ing when we first got it to show fit... he has aspergers and LOVED how snug this seat got around him... and honestly, I wish I'd known about this seat when my boys first hit 40lbs, because for the price, I would have had two... but they were discontinued before I learned of them, so there it was... ours was one of the last made and expired in 2008.

Jeffrey was 5yrs old, 47", 47lbs

Ruthanne was 2.5yrs, 33lbs, 38"... 5" over the minimums... as you can see, she slept comfortably in it

about 36lbs, 39", and almost 3 or just past (hard to remember)

abigaylebelle

I think it looks interesting. It would probably work well for my 4 year old who prefers to ff even though he is under 35lbs and could rf. I bet there are enough smallish 3-5 year olds who could make use of the shield. I'll have to see how it works as a booster too before I decide to buy one because I don't want to turn around in a year or 18 months to get a different booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC