Heat Rash Strikes Again!!! WWYD

arly1983

I had such high hope for this summer and fall but both kids are getting heat rash and Jacksons eczema is more enflamed each time we get in the van...

This van has a tan interior instead of the black we had before and each child has a vent pointed at them. I have been letting the van run and cool off before getting in. Even Camille is getting the heat rash (with no eczema)...

So I took off the plush covers and put on a black onyx and a freedom. Camille is so much cooler in the freedom. Jackson is better in the Onyx but that black gets hot....

So I think I am going to try to trade my cougar or onyx and black straps with someone with tan straps and Sahara cover. What do you think? Would it help being it is a lighter color...

I also think I am going to try to trade or sell my artic cat marathon for a new blues.....

It is only in the high eighties and we having these problems:( (and the smoke and humidity is about to kill us all, PLEASE let it rain!)

ADS

amy919

I have the same problem with Kaylie. I don't know that there is anything that you can do about the heat rashes. Kaylie only seems to get them when it's 90+. Her eczema flares up big time as soon as the temps go up, though. We got prescription hydrocortizone cream from her pediatrician and it clears it up right away. It has made a huge difference for us. As long as I'm dilligent about putting the cream on, we're able to keep it under control.

She usually gets it right above her butt and lower back area. If I don't catch it in time, she scratches it until it bleeds. It's awful!

Good luck! I wish I had more advise to offer!

Amy

arly1983

Yeah, the heat really makes the eczema worse doesn't it!

I just wish there was a 100% cotton cover for the regent...We have a denim on the Husky and it is wonderful. Too bad you can't use a husky cover on a regent...

Lys

Senior Community Member
I'm sorry about you children's excema and rashes.
Do you BF by chance? I've heard BM does help when rubbed on kids with rashes.
Also, If you do want to get rid of your Cougar cover. I'll take it from you. I :love: that cover!!

TheRealMacGyver

( (and the smoke and humidity is about to kill us all, PLEASE let it rain!)

We had that last week, it was really bad. My car was covered in ash and just walking out into my garage I could smell the smoke. It really is amazing. You are pretty close too aren't you? I think they are forcasting winds to start coming from the north, so if the fires are south of you that should help.

Could you cut an old cotton sheet to lay over the carseat? Just to give a layer of cotton.

Morganthe

Do you have really good protective tint on your windows? I purchased an aftermarket professional installation of UVB/UVA tint and it's really made a difference on the chronic heat/sun rash that shows up on my left arm. But I can slightly handle the heat better than the sunlight which just fires up my skin so painfully :(

Sorry I can't help more. It's gotta be miserable there. :(

jennsmile

you don't want to sell you husky cover do you? I keep wishing for a denim cover.

Jenn

Yeah, the heat really makes the eczema worse doesn't it!

I just wish there was a 100% cotton cover for the regent...We have a denim on the Husky and it is wonderful. Too bad you can't use a husky cover on a regent...

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I would try darkening the windows if you can afford it (in NY the back windows can be like mirrors, but the front can' tbe tinted at all) & lighter fabrics might also help -- do you cool the car when possible before getting in? I've left those crackable cooler packs in the carseat during very short errands.... A single layer of flannel receiving blanket might also help, so long as it doesn't interfere with the harness.

arly1983

Our windows are one shade lighter than the darkest you can get legally....(our new-used van was owned by an older couple who had it done. you should see the interior, it is spotless!)

I might have to start carrying those cooler packs around.

My 3rd chld had horrible eczema as a baby/toddler/prechooler. Bleeding, weeping, looked like a leper severe. I never thought about carseat padding; I just knew it did get worse in the car (we lived in Tucson, AZ at the time, so talk about heat!). I do think a lighter-colored cover would help, especially if it's cotton or cotton-y.

The best product I found to treat her eczema, was a homeopathic cream called Florasone:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp30626_3...sone_maximum_strength_cardiospermum_cream.htm

Best of luck!

arly1983

My 3rd chld had horrible eczema as a baby/toddler/prechooler. Bleeding, weeping, looked like a leper severe. I never thought about carseat padding; I just knew it did get worse in the car (we lived in Tucson, AZ at the time, so talk about heat!). I do think a lighter-colored cover would help, especially if it's cotton or cotton-y.

The best product I found to treat her eczema, was a homeopathic cream called Florasone:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp30626_3...sone_maximum_strength_cardiospermum_cream.htm

Best of luck!

Thanks so much!

I will order some of this and someone else suggested emu oil so we have two new things to try!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC