Kia Sedona owners

agurlsride

We just bought an 07 Kia Sedona...I just wanted some opinions from Sedona owners. I had an '03 short base at one point and I hated it. I'm hoping this one is better, we were limited on choices with our bad credit so it was the Sedona over the Freestar. Any installation issues with any particular seats? I have an MA and the rest of the seats are boosters but I have not installed any of them yet. I am looking to get a new seat for my 5yr old, it will either be a Prosport, Frontier 85 or Nauti....Any input would be greatly appreciated (on installation or integrity of the car).

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The vehicle is *excellent* They were redesigned for the 06 model year and are a completely different vehicle than older pre-hyundai Kias. :) They have the BEST crash test ratings.
DD rides in a turbo in ours, and it fits fine everywhere but the middle of the 3rd row, since it's not a wide enough space. Ds has ridden in a Rfing titan and AOE.

agurlsride

Nice....its a pretty nice mini-van and even though I told myself that I was done with the whole mini-van thing..we got it anyway. :)

Mama Jo

I have an 07 Sedona and love it. I've used a number of different seat arrangements and have had 5 different seats in there all at once.

The two "issues" I've had - I couldn't use the Nauti in the 3rd row because the bench isn't very deep and it hung over the edge. The other issue was that in a 3 across, the Radian doesn't fit in the center seat because it doesn't leave enough room on the drivers side seat for any other seat. Not even another Radian. Other than that, I've had a SS1, old style BLVD, RN65/RNXT, Turbo (both HBB and backless), Vivo, FN, GN (in the captains chairs only), and RA55, and haven't had any install problems anywhere other than what I mentioned.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
We have an '06 (pretty much the same as the '07). The only seat I've put in it so far is DS's MR65. (Can you believe that? I actually only have 2 seats in my posession right now and they're both the same! I'm totally no fun.) It goes in well RF & FF in the captain's chairs. I haven't tried it in the back yet.

agurlsride

Mama Jo said:
I have an 07 Sedona and love it. I've used a number of different seat arrangements and have had 5 different seats in there all at once.

The two "issues" I've had - I couldn't use the Nauti in the 3rd row because the bench isn't very deep and it hung over the edge. The other issue was that in a 3 across, the Radian doesn't fit in the center seat because it doesn't leave enough room on the drivers side seat for any other seat. Not even another Radian. Other than that, I've had a SS1, old style BLVD, RN65/RNXT, Turbo (both HBB and backless), Vivo, FN, GN (in the captains chairs only), and RA55, and haven't had any install problems anywhere other than what I mentioned.

So is it not feasible to do 3 across in the third row?

Sent from my MyTouch using Car-Seat.Org

agurlsride

CommMom said:
We have an '06 (pretty much the same as the '07). The only seat I've put in it so far is DS's MR65. (Can you believe that? I actually only have 2 seats in my posession right now and they're both the same! I'm totally no fun.) It goes in well RF & FF in the captain's chairs. I haven't tried it in the back yet.

LOL, its ok...I've only got one harnessed seat right now....:)

Sent from my MyTouch using Car-Seat.Org

Lillibelle

Can I ask you Sedona owners if you feel it's reliable? It gets terrible ratings from Consumer Reports, which makes me wary. I like it for the safety, but if it's breaking down on me with the kids, that's not really safe!
Thanks!
Linda

Mama Jo

Can I ask you Sedona owners if you feel it's reliable? It gets terrible ratings from Consumer Reports, which makes me wary. I like it for the safety, but if it's breaking down on me with the kids, that's not really safe!
Thanks!
Linda

I have not had my 07 break down on me yet and I have almost 95,000 miles on it!! (yeah, I have a long commute every day....)

The one complaint I have is that my headlights seem to burn out quickly. My dad told me the headlight mechanism isn't really the greatest set-up (he does all my maintenance for me :love:) and the lights themselves are $25 each, but if that's the worst I have to deal with, I'm ok with that. :thumbsup:

I also just blew an AC related fuse, but that was a cheap easy fix.

KiwiGem

I'm not sure how my car compares because mine is the Carnival model made for the NZ market which I think comes straight out of Korea - we don't have long or short wheel base options here. I have a 2009 LTD model with 3 seating positions across the rear row - lapbelt only in the middle with no top tether anchor and 3 separate captains chairs in the middle row with the middle also a lapbelt only plus a top tether anchor. All other seats have full seat belts, Isofix and top tether anchors.

The only seat I've tried in my car that I didn't get a 100% installation with was a Multi Tech (but I'm sure if I had someone with me who had experience with the foot prop, it could have been perfect). A friend of mine as been able to get 3 Radians installed perfectly across the rear row of her Carnival (same model as mine), all seatbelt installations as the Isofix anchors aren't spaced correctly to allow the Radian to be installed in the middle. There wasn't much room (if any) left at all... I doubt any other seat combination would work in that row, especially once all seats are facing the same way.

As for reliability, I've had no issues at all. I've owned my car from brand new since August 2009 so it's been regularly serviced and the only thing that has needed repairing so far was a computer component for the sliding rear door which was fixed under warranty. We do lots of open road driving and I'm glad of the power my car has (although our fuel prices are hideous at present - it cost me $140NZD to fill my car up from empty this week :eek:) but because of where I live and the activities we do, I don't have the option of not using my car so reliability is extremely important.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
I haven't had mine for long, but thus far haven't really had any significant problems. We did replace the headlight bulbs (one was burnt out when we bought it) and I've got a tire that needs a couple more PSI, lol. Otherwise though, it seems as solid as anything else. I also believe very strongly that driving smart and keeping up with regular maintenance on any vehicle also goes a long way toward protecting reliability.

When we bought, we got a lot of flack from my uncle (who's a mechanic) about the reliability of "foreign cars" and how hard/expensive it is to fix them, etc. Here's the thing though, it's difficult and expensive to fix just about anything these days. We also drive cars more, at higher speeds, and frankly harder than ever before. Of course that means things are more likely to go wrong. Bottom line is that I don't feel like the Sedona, on average, is any more likely to have reliability problems than anything else.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
We've had our '07 Sedona for nearly three years now, and we love, love, love it. No maintenance issues (knock on wood) and it even took us out to Oregon and back for a summer vacation, and that was 26+ hours each way.

It's very versatile, and I've had an endless array of car seats in many different arrangements and never run into a serious issue. I even used it as a demo/practice/skills test vehicle in my last two classes, so there were students crawling all around in there with one seat after the other and no problems there, either.

I think you're really going to like it!

muchfaith22

We are supermclose to buying a 2009 Sedona...talked to the dealer last night, will probably bring it home tonight if it all works out. We have 3 kids all still rearfacing in 2 true fits and a radian XTSL. We also have 2 sceneras and a SR35 that we used in it for test driving and will probably put them in it to bring it home, and use them until I can get the twins TFs cleaned (they are disgusting...am I able to take a scrub brush to the platic frame?? They spilt m&ms down in them and they got smashed, among other stuff...what about hosing it down or something?).

Anyways, just wondering on installs with any seats and my DH really wanted to recline the back bench seat back to make more room for their feet during the test drive and I wouldn't let him. I need to read the manual yet...and hows a radian install (since we haven't tried yet, it'll be in a captain seat in the middle row). Any other tips trick, tidbits and info I could use?? Thanks!

Lea_Ontario

We have an '05 Sedona, and overall I LOVE it.

Wish I'd held out for the newer style and a longer wheel base - NEXT time I'll do that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC