does us air allow preboarding for small children?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Not sure. American denied me a couple times, even though I had a seat to install. I figured if they wanted me to hold up the plane, that was their problem.

As long as you're flying with another adult, though, here's what I've found works even better. You or your DH (or other adult) gets on alone with the car seat(s) during normal boarding. That person installs the seat(s).

Meanwhile, the other person stays at the gate and lets the kids mess around and use up some energy. Then that person boards with the kids right at the very end.

The seats are already installed and the kids have less time to get bored and antsy.

Eclipsepearl

That's a good tip for those of you who have the luxury of flying with TWO parents (it has happened a few times for us but never on the really long flights, of course).

Another tip for pre-boarding is to stand near the front and look ready to roll. Often they've just let me and my three babes on with the UM's and disabled passengers with no announcement.

I love telling this story. I was connecting in Paris with a 4 month old, and 2 and 4 year olds. As they were leaving with the pre-boards, this guy who just saw me (we hadn't even interacted) picked up the barrier and yelled "HEY YOU FORGOT THIS LADY AND HER THREE KIDS!" Like how could they NOT take me after that???

jnamommy

Yes, they do allow preboarding. And they never batted an eye on my flights last month with two kids and two seats. (And I even had one almost 3 yr old rear-facing..:whistle:)

Depending on your seats, you may need to ask for a seatbelt extender. I, uh, got a carseat stuck on the plane, and the plane belt had to be removed to get my carseat back...

ETA - My flight was on US Airways. Is this different from US Air?

Last edited:

cat mommy

The US Air shuttle does NOT allow preboarding. And the FA will then deliberately block the aisle--while you are all by yourself holding two babies, a carseat*, and a diaper bag--so the first class passengers can take their sweet time getting their coats off before they sit down. When you finally ask said FA to move--in lieu of dropping a baby--said FA gives you a nasty glare and makes nasty comments under her breath. :thumbsdown: And don't even get me started on their refusal to issue a gate pass to a relative to meet me at the gate and then refusing to provide me with any assistance getting out past security--I had to have a STRANGER carry DS out for me.

I used to be a loyal US Air flyer (see--I even call them "US Air") but now I fly Jetblue unless I am using my miles.

*Don't worry--no lap kiddos here. An employee had taken the other car seat down for me.

Last edited:
L

lojosol

US Airways does have pre-boarding for passengers needing any special assistance and passengers traveling with Children under the age of 5.

On a side note, i am shocked to hear about all the airlines that do not offer pre-boarding for people needing special assistance and small children. I am glad I work for US Airways, and not the other guys.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC