Mclarens good for tall mum's and dad's?

Colleen

Hi! I'm thinking about buying a Maclaren quest (in the mod black print:cool: ) for my 33lb 5 yo. I know I'm little late in game buying a 5 yo a new stroller but see I just started roller blading so I cant have her in my sling, and the only other stroller I own is a 1941 vintage Rex pram (just like silver cross) from England. I do still you the pram, but i think it would like a tad weird pushing that in roller blades! Anyway I'm 5'7" with a long torso, so I have issues with stroller handle bars being down too low, but I'm guessing the Maclaren's wouldn't have that issue? TIA.:)

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Maclarens are generally good for taller people, but I think you'll be way too tall with the roller blades on. Honestly, the best choice for roller blading (or running) is a true jogging stroller.

Colleen

Forgive me I'm s new at this stroller thing...is the volo pretty much the same as the quest? height wise also? I'm trying to avoid a jogging stroller, as I think I want to have a Maclaren anyway since we will be having another baby in the next couple of years. Nothing against joggers, I guess I'm just not used to them.

LuvBug

Im 5'10 and my dad is 6'4 and we can both push our vogue with no problems at all. maclarens are great for tall people.
I think the higher up in model the taller the handles, so ours is the version now called the techno classic, so it is one of the taller ones.

amy919

I'm not sure about the differences between the Volo and the Quest. I *think* they are pretty similar in size, but the Quest seat reclines and the Volo doesn't. Don't quote me on that, though. I'm not an expert, either!

Amy

lovinwaves

I would avoid roller blading or doing any kind of jogging or running with a stroller that does not have a fixed wheel. It can be very dangerous. The Stroller can do what is called "The Shopping Cart" effect. The front wheels will start to wobble, and could go sideways ending with disasterous results. Just ask my husband who jogged with our stroller (front swivel wheels) the other day down our drive way. The front wheel started wobbling and became lodged sideways and he almost flew over the stop of the handlebar putting our kids at risk for being hurt, not to mention his "pride" (if you know what I mean).

If you are just walking then I would highly recommend the Maclaren for taller people. I know a 6'2" guy that pushed my Maclaren with cowboy boots on, and NEVER kicked the back. The higher up version of the Maclaren also feature adjustable handlebars, IIRC.

The Volo, would not be good for a new baby because it does not recline and the seat is mesh. The Quest (which is the step up) will have more features on it then the VOLO, but it is also $100 more :thumbsdown:

Even though the front wheels lock into position on the Maclaren, don't let that full you into thinking that is safe :twocents: :thumbsup:

lovinwaves

Anyway I'm 5'7" with a long torso, so I have issues with stroller handle bars being down too low, but I'm guessing the Maclaren's wouldn't have that issue? TIA.:)

5'7" isn't *that* tall, so there are many strollers on the market that would work perfect for your height. I am 5'9 1/2", and have had many strollers that I never kicked the back of. ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm just having a hard time imagining rollerblading with a 5 year old in a Maclaren, honestly...it's going to be a LOT rougher ride than a nice smooth pram (small plastic wheels and minimal suspension... macs are better for walking and very smooth surfaces).

I'd get a Volo and any cheap jogger, if it were me... :whistle:

southpawboston

5'7" isn't *that* tall, so there are many strollers on the market that would work perfect for your height. I am 5'9 1/2", and have had many strollers that I never kicked the back of. ;)

i'm 6'1" and i can push our maclaren triumph single and triumph double just fine... even witha diaper bag hanging from the handles my feet don't kick the back. i did have a problem with our previous stroller, a britax esprit which was at least 2-3" shorter.

if you're 5'7", that's 6" shorter than me, i don't think the rollerblades would make you too tall for a maclaren.

but ditto the comments above about using a dedicated jogging stroller if you're going to be on rollerblades.

Colleen

Maybe I just hang around really short people!:p I have a 34" inseam in pants. Strollers always seem so low to me. I'll consider a jogger, I'm just not to thrilled w/ them. I want a souped up umbrella stroller so I thought Maclaren was the way to go.
I just got back from BRU and test drove everything. Chicco capris were too short, the maclarens seemed great. I liked the triumph and the quest. The volo was alright (and I would take it in heartbeat compared to the dreaded "sea life" umbrella stroller :p ) but it seemed not as stable as the triumph and quest. Whats the difference between the quest and triumph mechanically? I wouldn't be using it for a newborn when we finally get pregnant w/ #3, I would use our Pram. And I'm not doing hardcore roller blading, just rolling along w/ my SIL and her kidos in their stroller. Whats the best price on Maclaren triumphs and quests? Sorry so many questions, I've never done serous stroller shopping before other than the vintage pram.

Last edited:

lovinwaves

Did you put your little girl in the strollers when you pushed them around the store? The VOLO is the cheapest(price and features) of the Maclarens, but still an awesome stroller. Every stroller pushes differently and usually better when it has weight in it.

southpawboston

Whats the difference between the quest and triumph mechanically?

same exact frame, wheels, and fold mechanism. quest adds an extendable leg rest and a more advanced recline mechanism (triumph only has the pull strap adjuster, the quest has a nulti-position sliding mechanism).

lovinwaves

Quest Sport Paired down pram-alternative with a smart, sporty style.

Specifications:
basic weight: 5.5 kg / 12.2 lb (with out hood, shopping basket or raincover)
appropriate from: 3 months

Features + Functionality:
One-hand fold
5-point safety harness
Lightweight
Adjustable leg rest
Reflective accents
Tilting hood with a 99% UV protective viewing window
Carry handle
Above + Beyond:
A sleek new design and superior steering puts the fun into being sporty around town
Reflective accents for safety at night and removable seat for easy wash-and-go
Four seat positions and adjustable leg rest ease baby into a nap, rest, or a good stretch

Triumph

A classic and lightweight workhorse.

Specifications
basic weight: 5.0 kg / 11.0 lb (with out hood, shopping basket or raincover)
child capacity: 25 kg / 55 lb
appropriate from: 3 months

Features + Functionality
5-point safety harness
One-hand fold
Multiple seat positions
Lightweight
Carry Strap
Round hood tilts for added sun protection

Above + Beyond
Maclaren’s flagship buggy gets a fun new look with a striped harness and updated wheels and mouldings in a Charcoal-colour
If baby spills on the beautiful seat, don’t stress, just remove and wash

Colleen

Did you put your little girl in the strollers when you pushed them around the store? The VOLO is the cheapest(price and features) of the Maclarens, but still an awesome stroller. Every stroller pushes differently and usually better when it has weight in it.

I went by myself, Shaki's in preschool right now (and I should be cleaning the house right now :whistle: ). I'll have to bring her to BRU to tell for sure.

Colleen

Okay, I just got back AGAIN from BRU. This time I brought DD. I tried her in everything. All the maclarens were GREAT! The combi's wouldn't turn very well w/ her 33 lb weight and wasn't a smooth ride. The peg something (the one that the shade pulls down to cover the whole seat) looked really cool but wouldn't corner easy and the handle bars felt really rickety like they were bending on the corners. I was afraid repeated use would snap them. Liked the joggers but want a stroller that turns good. The fixed wheel although great for running, seemed to bulky riding in the store. Shaki wanted to Pink/Grey triumph. I want gender neutral for #3. I did like the volo, but think I want one that can recline for when she naps or if we were to use it w/ a baby. I ave lots of nieces that would most likely end up using it also. So I think its down to the triumph or quest. Now I have to pick a color. I want the mod black quest, but it 225.00 everywhere. I can get a triumph for a little as 100.00 at albee.com Oh, and BTW I ran into a CPS tech in the car seat isle at BRU, she works there but is not allowed to give CPS advice on the clock. :( On the plus side they started carrying the Regent there a couple weeks ago!

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
I'm certainly allowed to give CPS advice on the clock, and I do so, all the time. Unfortunately you misunderstood what I was saying.

cheerbop

You can get a quest at 225 plus take off another 50 with the Baby Universe and baby tv deal with the rebate..so it would be 175. We are considering this ourselves

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC