Harness/Booster? One of each?

melniemi

I'm still trying to decide how to put my kids in the 2 cars. I'm working on dd1 right now. She will be 7 in June, 48", 50#s. She currently rides in a FR85 with 2 slots left. She would like a booster but has only ridden in one a handful of times.

We will keep our van for running around town and such. The YukonXL will be used for longer trips or if we all go as a family somewhere (dh hates the van, he's too cramped).

I'm thinking of getting her a booster for the van and keeping her harnessed in the Yukon. She would like a booster in both, but she does sleep when we travel late or far and I have no idea how she'd do.

So, should I just keep her in a Frontier in both? Put her in a booster in one, harnessed in the other? Van in an 02 Venture and Yukon is a 2010, if that makes any difference in your opinion.

Thanks!

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I'd start with a booster at that age.

What I'd do is convert one frontier to booster mode in the secondary car first... see how well she does even when she dozes off.

in fact, what I might do is give the 10yr old's parkway (only if it's OS and thereby nanot giving him/her as much height potential) to her and give the 10yr old the frontier in booster mode.

melniemi

Thanks for the input.

The Frontier doesn't work well as a booster in either car. 10yo's pw is going to 9 yo so he has one in each car. Dd1's frontiers will go to dd2(1 for each car), dd2's marathon will go to baby in van. 10yo will have a backless in each car.

So I need to buy 2 seats - and I'm torn as to buy one fr85 and one booster or 2 boosters. I bought a pwsg but it doesn't fit her well. I like the probooster, not sure if it'll tip in the vehicles though. Monterey? Vivo? I don't know:eek:

Kat_Momof3

ah, I see the issue.

where are you putting everyone in the Yukon?? I see from the images of the interior of the 2011 that seats are tall, but only the outboard seats in each row have headrests.

also, I see that, in the third row, the seatbelts all come from the seat itself... a recaro booster, a monterey... neither will be a good option there because of how the belt guides angle (in fact, now Id be surprised the parkway works there... unless it is the new style one)

IF your 6yr old can sit outboard 2nd row where the seatbelts (at least in the 2011... not sure what they changed in a year) come from the wall instead of the vehicle seat, then I'd probably get her a Vivo there... it's narrow, tall, and would fit her well regardless of her build. If she's a broad-shoulder'd child, then I'd go with a Monterey.

if the seat she'll be in does NOT have a headrest and/or the vehicle seatbelt is coming from the actual seat, I'd try the, the Cybex X-fix (because of the flatter guides, though it is not a taller booster), the Combi Kobuk, the Chicco Strada, and the Evenflo Big Kid, as well as the Compass B570.

I'm also thinking that since the parkway didn't fit her well, that will cross out the monterey, which also has wide spacing of the shoulder guides, and perhaps the B570, cause it is a wider booster.

for the venture, a vivo or probooster should be fine in the 2nd row, where the seats are nice and sculpted... I'd probably go with a vivo if you want the option to have it in the 3rd row, though. (because of the thick sides of the probooster and the tippiness due to the narrower "feet" of the booster)... and the thick sides could make a tougher 3-across.

melniemi

Venture will be 10yo/baby/9yo in middle row, girls in back row in a fr and booster. I can put the girls in the middle row outboards if the boys want the back. It doesn't matter to me. Middle row center is a goofy seatbelt so I can't install the fr there, but a rfing seat works great.

Yukon will be pretty much the same, boys switched but no difference really.

I ordered a ProBooster to try in both vehicles. I'm hesitant on the Monterey because it's heavy and I can't latch it. Vivo is my next try.

Thanks

Kat_Momof3

since it's pretty flexible (I didn't know if perhaps she or one of the other kids were say... possessive about a certain spot... and of course, the middle seat with no headrest needs to be for a harnessed seat), I hope the Probooster works in one or both...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC