Will this last a couple years??

diaperjoys

This is my smallish 5yo (38lbs) in his new Radian (ff). The seat is sitting on the vehicle seat, uninstalled. It was more upright after installation. That doesn't look like much growing room, and I'm wondering if I should send the seat back and work out another seat configuration.

ADS

rachelandtyke

At that age, their torso growth tends to slow and the legs often kick in, so I do think you could get a couple of years out of it. The Radian does allow use with the shoulders over the top slots by up to one inch (only seat that does). Some would have no problem with doing that, some would not prefer it no matter what SK says.

icnee

my best guess is also that you have couple of years.
Like the PP said legs start growing. With DD2 when she was a baby I always had to get her cloths as seperates cause he legs were so small, and now she has long long legs.

Kat_Momof3

here is my suggestion before you throw in the towel... is your 5yr old built (legs in proportion to torso) as your 3yr old?? I notice they are similar in size... was your 5yr old the same size at 3 that your 3yr old is now?

if yes to BOTH questions... then have your 5yr old test it out and see how much room he'd have... if there is grow room, then you'll know your 3yr old will have at least a good 2-3yrs in it... possibly more.

Then repeat this questioning in regards to your 6yr old.

if they are built the same and are following the same growth patterns, your older children can help you figure that one out.

What vehicle are you using and do you need a narrow seat like the Radian, or is giving the Nautilus that your oldest uses in hbb mode to your 3yr old (by putting the harness back in) an option?

Pixels

At that age, their torso growth tends to slow and the legs often kick in, so I do think you could get a couple of years out of it. The Radian does allow use with the shoulders over the top slots by up to one inch (only seat that does). Some would have no problem with doing that, some would not prefer it no matter what SK says.

The Radian allows use with the shoulders over the tops slots, no matter how high the shoulders are, as long as the child is under 53 inches and top of ears are below the top of the seat.

rachelandtyke

The Radian allows use with the shoulders over the tops slots, no matter how high the shoulders are, as long as the child is under 53 inches and top of ears are below the top of the seat.

Thanks for clarifiyng, I had it in my head that the shoulders could he only one inch about the top slots. Did they use to say that and changed it or is my memory just defunct on that one?

thepote

My 4.75yo who is about 38lbs is right there on the RN harness, too. He and his brother have had similar torso growth rates, and his brother was even with the top slots of the RN at 6y6m.

diaperjoys

Thank you everyone! I installed the seat, and he has quite a bit more room when installed. In fact, I need to move the harness down a slot.

Kat_Momof3

I'm not surprised... that's Radian magic for you... it probably means the cover was sitting lower than the actual seat's slots.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC