Booster fit - beltpath & vehicle seat issue...

diaperjoys

We're trying to work out seats for our vehicle. Now that the seats have arrived, I have a few concerns about fit-to-car, and fit-to-child.

This is a PKWY SG, and I'm concerned about where the buckle is landing. Should I have my son twist the buckle stalk before buckling? Or is there another seat that would work better with this long buckle stalk?

Is it okay for the booster to be ON the seat belt? In order for the Monterey to fit in this location, the belt set-up is pushed forward so the hard part doesn't poke up above the seat, then it routes up to the beltpath. Is this okay?

And, finally, this lowback fits amazingly well in the whacky third row spot, and the lap belt fit is the best I've seen on any booster we've tried. But I'm concerned about using it as a full time seat since there are no airbags in the third row. Anyone know of a high back booster that has a similar footprint? It's a Harmony Literider.

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I'd like to see a picture of the monterey installed before I can answer whether I think it's safe or not.

but what I'm taking in from this is that you need a seat that won't interfere with the buckles (the parkway is definitely out in my book... I don't feel comfortable with the buckles like that)

I like the literider, but I'm thinking the footprint isn't the only reason that seat works... you just need something narrow enough, yet also thick enough or with space enough between the armrests and seat portion to allow a good belt fit.

I'm thinking a good one to try (because the base portion is narrow, but then I worry about the tipping that others have experienced in bench seats... however, yours look pretty flat) would be the Recaro Probooster. Another one would be the Evenflo Big Kid regular/dlx/sport because of the rotating armrests in the case of the first two, and the narrowness of the sport along with the tall armrests of the sport (the first two have adjustable ones, but they can also be set at pretty decent heights)

the parkway obviously doesn't have a problem in terms of width, so I'm thinking you may even be able to try a graco turbobooster or compass booster there, providing belt fit is still good... it'll all depend on where the buckles end up.

Pixels

We're trying to work out seats for our vehicle. Now that the seats have arrived, I have a few concerns about fit-to-car, and fit-to-child.

This is a PKWY SG, and I'm concerned about where the buckle is landing. Should I have my son twist the buckle stalk before buckling? Or is there another seat that would work better with this long buckle stalk?
No, you can't twist the buckle stalk with a booster. Only harnessed seats.
I'm not sure what I think about the location of the buckle.

Is it okay for the booster to be ON the seat belt? In order for the Monterey to fit in this location, the belt set-up is pushed forward so the hard part doesn't poke up above the seat, then it routes up to the beltpath. Is this okay?
No, because the belt is being rerouted. That is artificial slack in the belt system.

diaperjoys

No, you can't twist the buckle stalk with a booster. Only harnessed seats.
I'm not sure what I think about the location of the buckle.

No, because the belt is being rerouted. That is artificial slack in the belt system.

Oy! So, I have incorrect usage in BOTH of the boosters in our third row. Yikes! I'm having a terrible time finding something that fits correctly back there. Any other ideas on what I could try? Or, better yet, anything that is known to work? It's a '03 Honda Pilot.

Pixels

Have you checked the three across thread? Someone (I forget who) has a Pilot and has done several three acrosses. I'm not sure what year Pilot.

thepote

Is this the same issue as the OP with the Monterey sitting on the belt?
Is it ok to have the bottom webbing on the middle belt come out from under? I know it makes the seat next to it unusable because it sits on the belt stalk.

DSC04001.jpg

Nisha

What year is your pilot and what position are you trying to get the booster in? I've got an '04 pilot and a few boosters that I could give a shot for you!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Amy, that doesn't look safe to me. How much of the stalk is that seat fitting on?

The Parkway manual specifically forbids a setup like that. I thought there was an allowance given for twisting the belt stalk, though (like, specifically said in the manual.) I might have been thinking of a different seat.

My Monterey fits in that spot without pushing the belt anchor down. I'm gonna go out and see if I can take some pics (not surprisingly, it's very difficult.) There may be a slight (very slight) rerouting of the belt, but it's significantly more minimal than in Amy's picture. It's been a while since I had the Monterey back there, and I know I debated about it but decided ultimately that I was comfortable with it. (IIRC, my debate was because it was very difficult to see what exactly was going on down there.)

Carrie_R

Briefly -- I will have more after the kids go down for nap.

I went out and checked, and my seat does sit on the plug, slightly. I have lots of pics, it's *very* hard to quantify due to the tight space and lack of light. I am tentatively erring on the side of being ok with it under the heading of parental (caregiver) discretion, but I'm not sure as a tech that I'd advise a parent to use it. I'll be interested to hear opinions on it, though.

I have a backless Big Kid I can grab and see if it fits, but I've gotta feed some kiddos first. :)

Pixels

Is this the same issue as the OP with the Monterey sitting on the belt?
Is it ok to have the bottom webbing on the middle belt come out from under? I know it makes the seat next to it unusable because it sits on the belt stalk.

I'd say this in incompatible for two reasons. One, the belt is coming out from under like the OP. And two, the booster isn't sitting on the webbing of the next seat's buckle, it's sitting on the buckle itself. The booster isn't even sitting on the vehicle seat.

thepote

I'd say this in incompatible for two reasons. One, the belt is coming out from under like the OP. And two, the booster isn't sitting on the webbing of the next seat's buckle, it's sitting on the buckle itself. The booster isn't even sitting on the vehicle seat.

That's what I figured. I've never used it like that. Someone asked if a Monterey would fit there and I went out and grabbed a pic and posted it and asked the techs if it would work and I don't think we got any definitive replies in that thread. Luckily there's no reason I would need to have it there given that it makes the other seat unuseable.

For readers, the pic is a 2005 Odyssey, third row middle seat.

Carrie_R

Pics are below (clickable thumbnails.) I apologize for their quality; cell phone + tight space + flashlight can only go so far.

Monterey in spot but lifted up to show summary of problem:

Little white glint is anchor in question -- arrow is pointing to it in the second pic:

Belt in original position, where it ends up, and then the third picture is it in original position with my ring finger indicating how far forward it ends up.

I sat the booster on the seat where it sits when going, and held onto the belt. Then I moved the booster over a smidge so that it allowed the belt to be fully upright, and this is the slack it left. My finger (parallel to the seatback) was laying on the seatback when the seat was resting on the anchor. IMO, that tiny amount of slack (which could easily be in the belt due to a slight but allowable position change from a child, varying tension in the belt, or winter jeans vs. lightweight shorts) is not enough to be concerned about.

I've also tugged the seat every which way and can't see where the miniscule hidden slack will effect the seat's performance. But I might be missing something.

Diaperjoys, does this look like your issue or is yours more severe? (Just trying to get a grasp on the differences between years of Pilots.) Also, what does the Monterey look like on the 60 portion of the split? I might go backless on the 40 portion for your 8yo, and keep the 7yo on the 60 portion. Otherwise, if you want some suggestions in terms of how to get things set up, I'd be happy to make some.

FWIW, the Big Kid is a no-go. The new Sport might work, I haven't seen it to know if it's narrow enough at the back, ditto with the ProBooster. (I think the wall would save it from tipping.)

Last edited:

diaperjoys

What year is your pilot and what position are you trying to get the booster in? I've got an '04 pilot and a few boosters that I could give a shot for you!

We just bought an '03 Pilot. I'm trying to get two high back boosters into the third row. In the drivers side outboard I'm having problems with the long seat belt stalk & the buckle ending up in the belt path. In the passenger side outboard I'm having trouble finding anything to fit.

Here's what we've tried:

Passenger outboard:

Pkwy SG - physically impossible to buckle. The seat angle prevents the buckle from fitting into the fixed seat belt stalk.

Monterey - this does fit, as in, I can buckle it, and the 7yo can buckle it, but it has to be shoved up tight against the wall, and in doing so it routes the webbing out around the seat. More pictures to follow.

Cybex something-or-other - tried this at a friends house today. Yes, it fits! But my son's back was arched, it wasn't comfortable to put his head back on the headrest, and he had the look of being launched from the seat that others have commented on.

Lightrider fits like it is made for the spot. Is it okay to put an almost 8yo in a backless in a car with no third row airbags?? If that is okay, then we have our solution. But somehow it isn't my first choice and I'm hoping I can do better.

Drivers side outboard:

Pkwy SG - buckle really in the belt path. Twisting the belt stalk down takes care of this. clov878 says this is okay if vehicle allows it. I don't know if the vehicle allows it. Have to try to find that out.

Monterey - buckle still in the belt path, but much less. Only one corner peeps up a bit (1 cm) and is airborne. The rest of the buckle is snug against the plastic. I've got pictures and my computer is giving me trouble with the upload.

diaperjoys

Diaperjoys said:
Carrie,

I think my issue may be more severe. I took pictures, but my computer is giving me uploading issues. I have to wedge the Monterey tight against the wall. The booster pushes the belt forward so that the hard parts rotate down beside the soft part of the vehicle seat. Then, see where the stitching is on the belt? When I am facing the seat, I can see that the webbing travels to the left all the way to the top of the stitching, which is a couple inches, and then begins to go up and over the booster.

If you have other ideas, please do send them my way! This is our family vehicle, so it needs to be set up for fairly fluid every day use. I was trying to put two boosters in the third row, so it would be easy to fold down a seat when the older boys are at school or something, and keep the two harnessed kiddos in the second.

Two Radians fit nicely in the second row -one ff for the 5yo, and one rf for the 3.5yo. They are really close together, though, and there will be a learning curve on not picking at each other.

Putting the almost 8yo in a lbb could work in the third row - it sure does fit in there nicely. But I'm wondering if that is unwise because there are no airbags back there. I had thought to let him grow out of a hbb before transitioning to lbb.

Now I'm wondering if I could put the 5yo's Radian in the third row on that wonky 40 seat. Add another hbb to that third row - either the Monterey or the Parkway if it ends up being okay to twist the buckle stalk. That would take care of the third row. ETA - Never mind! I've been out fighting hard with the RN, and I can't get it in that spot.

Then, the second row could have the 3.5yo in her Radian (either ff or rf - she's old enough where it would probably be okay to turn her, even though we were shooting for 4yo?). And maybe the 8yo could share the 60 part of the seat with her in the lbb. If he's in the middle spot maybe it wouldn't be such a safety issue?

Last edited:

Nisha

I'm 99.9% sure that a Turbo Booster works on the drivers side 3rd row, but it does NOT work on the passenger side 3rd row.

You'll have some of the same issue trying to buckle a booster in the center of the 2nd row, although it IS wider than the 3rd row.

The radian installs ok FF on the drivers side of the 3rd row, if I'm remembering right, and it's a MAJOR fight to get it on the passenger side 3rd row.
Have you tried a Radian RF in the 3rd row? I never have but had other RF seats back there with great luck loading them through the back hatch.

Putting an 8 yr old in a backless wouldn't be my first choice, I think I would do a Ride Safer Travel Vest instead, if possible.

Was it your 7 or 6 or old that you were trying in the Cybex? I find it works much better reclined 1 click, and possibly with a light weight footstool.

You can't recline the 3rd row seats 1 click on the '03 pilot, correct? (by lifting up on the "fold" thingy, and pulling back instead of pushing forward to fold...)

Carrie_R

Carrie,

I think my issue may be more severe. I took pictures, but my computer is giving me uploading issues. I have to wedge the Monterey tight against the wall. The booster pushes the belt forward so that the hard parts rotate down beside the soft part of the vehicle seat. Then, see where the stitching is on the belt? When I am facing the seat, I can see that the webbing travels to the left all the way to the top of the stitching, which is a couple inches, and then begins to go up and over the booster.

That sounds like a definite imcompatability to me. Couple of inches does not equal .5". So it sounds like that's another difference between the '03 and the gen including the '06... Can you do me a favor and measure from the anchor (where on the hard part the belt attaches) to the buckle itself, right exactly at the slot where the buckle goes in?

If you have other ideas, please do send them my way! This is our family vehicle, so it needs to be set up for fairly fluid every day use. I was trying to put two boosters in the third row, so it would be easy to fold down a seat when the older boys are at school or something, and keep the two harnessed kiddos in the second.

Truthfully at this point my only suggestions would be to do a three-across the second row and then put one child in the third. Between the third row dimensions causing problems, and the fact that your second row doesn't slide (right?) so you can't get a RFing seat in the third row, I'm running out of choices. I would suggest a ProSport, but if your 3rd row 40 is narrower than mine, there's no way it would fit. Mine barely fits, it's against the wall and wedged in there good.

Nisha's right, a FF Radian is do-able in that 40 portion but it is not easy. And for me, the recline angle ended up being pretty severe -- I believe I determined I wouldn't use it for daily transport. A FF CA might work, or something up on a base (MA, EFTA, MR.) If you can get the 5yo back there in that spot, things might be a lot more workable. My FFer who sits there now (4yo, sometimes a 5yo too) is able to buckle himself up totally, and I just have to pinch slack and/or tighten the harness up. Only if something gets misaligned to I have to climb up into the vehicle to get him straightened out.

My FFers just flip over the seat to get into their seats back there. With two three-acrosses, having a fold-down seat isn't an option. I really, really dreaded it when I had to turn my eldest RFer around (prior to this I had a RF 3-across back there and we loaded via the hatch) but it really isn't so bad. It helps that J thinks it's hilarious. It is harder with the older kids, though. (This is how my almost-10yo charge ended up sitting in the RF MR last week, trying to get out, lol.)

What about putting a combo seat in the back for the 5yo, putting the 3yo RF in the center, and then the two booster riders second row outboard? If you don't have LATCHable boosters, you could just pull one out to fold down the seat if you don't want him to flip over.

Putting the almost 8yo in a lbb could work in the third row - it sure does fit in there nicely. But I'm wondering if that is unwise because there are no airbags back there. I had thought to let him grow out of a hbb before transitioning to lbb.

I would prefer him to have outgrown the HBB, yes -- but I don't think it's *unsafe* to have him in a backless, at almost 8. You need to weigh what's best for your family with the added potential safety advantage of a HBB. I might try a second row three-across for now, and then transition him back there when/if you find it to be too difficult.

Now I'm wondering if I could put the 5yo's Radian in the third row on that wonky 40 seat. Add another hbb to that third row - either the Monterey or the Parkway if it ends up being okay to twist the buckle stalk. That would take care of the third row. ETA - Never mind! I've been out fighting hard with the RN, and I can't get it in that spot.

I did it once, but it was HARD. IIRC, recline the Radian, buckle, tighten as much as possible, recline the vehicle seatback, tighten some more, pull seatback upright. There may be more detailed directions in my post (link in my sig.) If your seatback doesn't recline, it may not be do-able. And as I said above, the angle was pretty crazy.

Then, the second row could have the 3.5yo in her Radian (either ff or rf - she's old enough where it would probably be okay to turn her, even though we were shooting for 4yo?). And maybe the 8yo could share the 60 part of the seat with her in the lbb. If he's in the middle spot maybe it wouldn't be such a safety issue?

I can fit RF RN and Monterey on the 60 in my second row. I think it's easier to buckle next to a RF seat than a FF one anyways. Beware that center seatbelt, I doubt that he will fit well there in the Literider. There's a number of issues with that position, lol. (Long buckle stalks and the height of the shoulder belt are the ones I think are likely to be a problem with your 8yo in the Literider.)

I'm happy to keep trying to work this through with you, I know how frustrating it can be to just want all of your kids to be able to ride safely (let alone conveniently) in this "8 passenger" vehicle. Once I got mine figured out, I really like it, but it's got its quirks and is a way different experience than a van.

diaperjoys

Thank you Carrie! Yup, it is frustrating, but we'll figure something out. I ordered a ProBooster and a Chicco Strada to try. Free return shipping on them, of course! Yes, I wonder if a MR or an EFTA could work in that 40 third row spot. I could FF the 3.5yo there, and everything else would settle around that. The ProBooster will be here tomorrow, and if that doesn't work I'll begin searching for a ff seat that I can fit there. Thanks for your help. I'll tune in tomorrow and let you know how it is going.

On - is the ff MR too reclined when you use it in the third row?? I've heard some complaints about that.

Carrie_R

If I only get halfway through this, I'll come back later and finish.

LOL, as I started reading all I could think is, "Hope those are returnable..." Glad to see they are. Hopefully one will fit, you'll have to keep this thread updated.

If they don't fit, I think my *first* try at a convertible would actually be a CA on the 40, and put your 5.5yo in it. (I would return the Radian you just got, I think the harness heights are pretty similar.) I think, but am not positive, that someone else (Rodentranger?) has tried that and it fits. There are two advantages to that, first that your 5.5 would be more likely to be able to buckle himself than the 3.5, and second, that you could keep the 3.5 RF, which is not only safer, but I truly think will make your life much easier if you prefer to have two kids on the 60 of the third row.

The other thing about the CA is that it's low-profile, which will help with the severe lack of legroom back there. As you suspect, the MR doesn't leave much legroom at all. In fact, with the second row up almost all the way, my 4yo ended up with his feet propped up on the second row when I tried it last week. The recline is pretty decent as well. It's also a challenging install.

I haven't tried the EFTA back there, but I would suspect similar issues, along with the MA. I've only had the MA back there once and while I'm fairly certain it fits there (I didn't install totally, I was trying to eke out a 3-across and it was a bit too wedged for my comfort and my BRU gets cranky if I take too long,) I'm not sure how WELL it fits and I don't think you'd gain too much room.

I think my order would be CA-EFTA-MA-MR, although I can't recall how wide the base of the EFTA is, it might be too wide to fit. I think that would be the most comfortable for your kids. It's too bad that you don't have that bit of extra space that lets me get the ProSport in there. :(

I asked this before but I'm very interested in your answer, so I will pester again. 1) Your second row does not slide forward, correct? and 2) What is the distance from your third row 40 portion seatbelt anchor to the buckle? These not only help me help you (b/c if your second row DOES for some strange reason slide, I have 2340284 more helpful things for you, lol,) but also other people in the future.

Also, I'm sending you a PM, so be on the lookout for it. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC