Car seat for low-tone 2 year old frequent flier

U

Unregistered

I feel like a horrible mom. I just turned our 2.5yo 29pound 36" RF again after almost a year FF after reading the most recent studies.

He has low tone, but I never thought of that as a car seat safety issue - until I found this board. He seems happy enough in the RF Boulevard at the infant recline in the captain chair of my minivan, but I am wondering if there is a safer option.

Should I get one of the Swedish car seats? I'm sure our Ped would write a prescription. Should I try to order a SN seat and file it with insurance?

We flow 5-6 times a year, so would definitely need a seat that works on planes.
Thanks!!

ADS

skaterbabs

There are a lot of great seats on the market that will last you a long time, I don't know that you need to import a seat just yet. I'd stick with what you have until he's closer to outgrowing it. A rear facing seat is outgrown when EITHER the weight limit is reached OR there is less than an inch of seat shell above the child's head.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It is unlikely that you would be able to use a Swedish seat on an American airplane. It's also unlikely that insurance will pay for something that is not legal to use.

If the Boulevard works for now, don't mess with it. When he's closer to outgrowing it, explore your options then -- there are lots of legal, FAA-approved seats with higher rear-facing capacity.

henrietta

Both of my boys were low tone--my older one still is.

Don't feel bad that you didn't now about keeping your ds rearfacing. You know now and have turned him back around, and nothing bad happened while he was forward facing.

My 2.5 yr old is 37" tall, almost 34 lbs, and so long torsoed that he outgrew the Blvd rearfacing by height months ago. So, be really glad he can still fit in it rearfacing! ;) At his age and size, he can probably rearface to at least 4, even if he needs a different seat, like the True Fit, Complete Air, or Radian.

My older one rearfaced till 3.5 yrs old, when he outgrew the Britax convertible rearfacing by height--he definitely preferred it!

GL!

henrietta

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The myride is nice and deep. It works well for low tone. I can't remember her name, but Charlie rides in one. Hopefully her mom will see this. She tried her in lots of seats one day and posted photos.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

swtgi1982

Definitely use what you have got for now. The highest weight limit for RF is the radians with the 45 lb limits for RF. But who knows what will be out there when your kid outgrows his current seat. My daughter is five years old and 35lb limit seats were all I could find when she was six months and moving to a convertible. Now 40lb is pretty much the new standard with everyone mostly switching slowly to it. There is the one 45lb as I said but things are changing so fast I would wait and see what is available when you get to needing it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC