Booster, Weight Issue and Shoulder Strap question

canucksuisse

My daughter will be 6 in 4 months.

When she sits in her SK Radian the straps are now no longer coming up from the top. Strap outlet and shoulders are at best aligned. Maybe even a bit under. But she is not 40 lbs yet.

At the time I bought the Radian it had the highest ths and the Nautilus was not out yet. She is tall and skinny, extra extra skinny. Always been. That's why we picked this seat.

I don't know what to do. I am trying not to be cheap when it comes to car seats but I can't see myself buying the Nautilus now.

Do I move her to a booster seat? She is about 118 centimeters and 38 lbs maybe? Do I keep her in the Radian a few more months? What is the safer choice? I know harness straps should be at or above the shoulders but how much under is still ok? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the Nautilus. It's supposed to have 1/2 inch taller slots. (We have a Matrix,fyi)

Thank you

ADS

Brianna

I've seen other users comment that they've gained room left in a harness just by moving the car seat to another seat in the car, maybe you could try this first?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Nautilus has straps ~1.5" taller than the Radian.

If you are in Canada, as your username implies, you cannot legally use a booster if your child is not 40#.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Sunshine Kids (at least in the US) allows the harness to be below the shoulders in the top position. I'm personally not comfortable with that, but a lot of people are, so you do have that as an option.

I don't know much about other options in Canada, so I'll leave that to others.

canucksuisse

I had no idea that the Nautilus top slots were that much higher. Definitely having to reconsider that now.

I got the following from the top post on this side. So I thought we only talked about .25 inch.
I have a friend who owns a Nautilus. I might borrow hers and install it in my car just to see how much more space we get.

Graco Nautilus THS: 18.25 "
forward facing only
5-pt. harness system from 20-65 lb.
high-back belt positioning booster from 40-100 lb.
backless booster for 40-100 lb.

Sunshine Kids Radian 65 (aka RN) HS 9-18"
Rear facing 5 to 40lbs and up to 44"
Forward facing 22 to 65lbs

I am definitely going to try installing the Radian somewhere else. Current install is behind the passenger seat. Hopefully this will do the trick. Will it make a difference how I install it? Latch vs shoulder belts?
I just checked the manual and nowhere does it say that the harness straps can be lower than the shoulders in the top slot. It only states they should be at or above shoulder level.

I had always fought I bought a good seat and that I wouldn't have to spend another $250.00 for a new seat again. :mad:

Maybe I should look for really filling and fatty recipes? Possibly switch her to a cupcake diet? :eek:

Thank you for your responses. I will keep you updated on if any success.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Physically some people manage to measure the top harness slots of the Radian at 18", but it fits significantly differently. I think in terms of actual installed room you'd have about 1" extra growing space in the Nautilus vs. the Radian, but it will really depend on how each seat fits in your vehicle.

To answer your question, yes, whether a seat is installed with seatbelt or the UAS can make a difference. In general, the more upright the install, the more growing room you'll see in the seat.

What is your daughter's overall height? The official rule on using the seat when the shoulders are above the top harness slots are also related to where the child's ears are in relation to the top of the shell, and the child's overall numerical height.

Given your daughter's weight is described as possibly 38lbs, I would say you'll have to buy a new seat for her. I don't know if you have anymore kids or not, but the Frontier XT has 20" top harness slots and is the highest available on the market. The $299 price tag isn't cheap - but the seat is good for 9 years and makes a good booster, so you'll get a lot of use out of it.

Depending on when your daughter's last growth spurt was, you could still be a year away from consistently being over 40lbs, and until she is definitely over 40lbs, she can't be in a booster.

That being said - if the Nautilus does have a good 1" of growing room (make sure to raise the headrest up to see where all the harness slots are,) then that most likely will be enough to get her through until she's over 40lbs. 1" of torso growth is equal to approximately 2 to 3" overall height growth. And I would expect her to gain another 2 or 3 lbs easily if she grows another 2 to 3". Of course you know her growth pattern best, and if in doubt, it may be worth going with the Frontier XT just to make sure that you have all the harness height needed. :thumbsup:

canucksuisse

Thanks snowbird, I am definitely trying different positions after Kindergarten tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed this will work.

I am not sure she has growth spurts anymore. She is more like weeds. Over the last year she hasn't stopped growing in height, just not in weight.

In August last year her pediatrician measured her at 17.5 kg (38.58 lbs). We were just there a few weeks ago when she had the flu and she was 17.2 kg.

Length she is 118 cm which I guess are around 46 1/2 inches?

mommycat

I would try the different installs for now. Do you have the recline foot extended? If so, move it into the base to get the seat more upright. Try out your friend's Nauti in your car so you can see how it would work for you.

Weigh her again, too - to get an accuarate weight at home, weight yourself with and without her and subtract the two numbers. This eliminates any errors in your scale's calibration. Maybe she has regained the weight after losing with the flu and a little more besides?

Also, make sure that you are checking the harness position in the shell, and not the slots in the padding - sometimes these don't quite line up. :twocents:

mommycat

If you do decide to get the Nautilus, check the prices at Walmart and Zellers, as they may be cheaper. The online catalogues show the brown one at Canadian Tire at $249.99, $10 cheaper than all the models at Sears and ToysRUs. babyproofingplus.com also has 2 patterns for $249.95.

tam_shops

I've been dreading this day w/ my thin ODS for years now...5YO & 36#...

1) I thought that w/ the Radian that you could go an inch to an inch 1/2 over the harness slots, as Trudi said, as long as the ears are below??? I've yet to research the validity or safety of it, I'm hoping to just leave him RF which solves that problem anyway! LOL

2) Doesn't the Nautilus and Maestro have the same harness height?? The Maestro is half the price (Zellers & TRU), since here it has harness to 47# it'd be cheaper & might get the height you need for the weight.

Is it??
Radian 17" (PLUS 1 1/2 if you go over. SAFE?)
Nautilus & Maestro 18. 25"
NEW Frontier 20"

tamhttp://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=119737

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

I've been dreading this day w/ my thin ODS for years now...5YO & 36#...

1) I thought that w/ the Radian that you could go an inch to an inch 1/2 over the harness slots, as Trudi said, as long as the ears are below??? I've yet to research the validity or safety of it, I'm hoping to just leave him RF which solves that problem anyway! LOL

2) Doesn't the Nautilus and Maestro have the same harness height?? The Maestro is half the price (Zellers & TRU), since here it has harness to 47# it'd be cheaper & might get the height you need for the weight.

Is it??
Radian 17" (PLUS 1 1/2 if you go over. SAFE?)
Nautilus & Maestro 18. 25"
NEW Frontier 20"

tamhttp://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=119737

There is no limitation of 1" or 1.5" over the top slots. The limitation is total physical height - meaning a kid who is all legs could never be allowed over the top harness slots, or ears contained in the shell. I'm not sure what that height is off the top of my head because it has changed over the years. It's either 51" or 53" though if I remember right.

Maestro measures a full 18" and fits 18". Radian some people can measure at 18", but it fits more like 17 to 17.5". Nautilus has 18.5" top slots, but fits more like 18.25".

For a small comparison, my son would've been using the top slots ff'ing in the radian about 1.5 yrs ago. He moved to the top slots in the Nautilus this past January. Granted the spacing between the top and 2nd highest is about 3" on the Radian vs. 2" approximately on the Nautilus - but my son has had a few major growth spurts involving multiple wardrobes in both shirts and pants in the last couple years and is fitting seats the way my daughter did when she was a year older than him. :eek: With the seats installed in the same position in our car, my dd had over 1" more growing room in the Nautilus vs. the radian. I'm not sure how this would transfer from vehicle to vehicle though.

BRU trade and save is coming up at the end of this month. If you have something you can trade in (old stroller, old car seat, play-yard, even an old crib,) then you get 20% off regular priced items and britax was included last time. I'd really be tempted that if you're going to move to a seat with taller harness slots to just go with the frontier.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Sunshine Kids (at least in the US) allows the harness to be below the shoulders in the top position. I'm personally not comfortable with that, but a lot of people are, so you do have that as an option.

I don't know much about other options in Canada, so I'll leave that to others.

Personally, I was comfortable with DS in our Radian with his shoulders above the top slots, since he was below the weight limit, the standing height limit, and his ears were below the top of the seat. :twocents: He rode in it until his shoulders were maybe 1" above the top slots, and never complained. (We needed him harnessed to deal with a very tight 3-across situation.)

tam_shops

Thanks ladies, I'm going to keep the 1" from top RF or *ears at the top of the shell* FF rules in my head. My guy is something like 42" and on 2nd from top for RF, so I assume top for FF.

Trudy, I've got junk to trade! I've so been debating this sale b/c of this...will check weight of YDS & height of ODS this week, if the sale is coming. YDS was 26# RF in a 30#RF MA vs ODS in the RN. Would you happen to know, or make a good guess when the *next* trade or Britax sale will be. End of summer, Fall? Probably this year...It's such a catch 22 for me b/c I might get away w/ these seats until 6yo & 40#, then I have to spend no more money vs if I do not & have to spend the money & collect one more seat to get rid of! LOL Of course, harness to the safety recommendations come before the money, sale or no sale, it's just nice to be able to save that extra bit...

tam

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

Thanks ladies, I'm going to keep the 1" from top RF or *ears at the top of the shell* rules in my head. My guy is something like 42" and on 2nd from top for RF, so I assume top for FF.
tam

Just to clarify, 1" from top rf'ing and then the "ears at the top of the shell" if for ff'ing. It's also important with the Radian that the child's standing height NOT exceed the numerical listed limit. The engineer was very clear on this point when he was questioned about it a few years back. So if your kid is already over the numerical limit when their shoulders go over the top slots, then you're not going to be able to use the slots with the shoulders above them.

Tam - I have no clue about future sales, and had some difficulty following your line of questioning. :eek: (Maybe start a new thread if you want some opinions and you can clarify there?)

mommycat

It's also important with the Radian that the child's standing height NOT exceed the numerical listed limit. The engineer was very clear on this point when he was questioned about it a few years back.
Did they say why? I am having a hard time coming up with a reasonable theory for why this would make any difference if all that height was in the legs. :confused: Not that I would ignore it, but I want to understand.

tam_shops

Thanks Trudy, will start a new thread & added FF to the ear thing, assumed since 1" wouldn't have ears to the top, but don't want to confuse someone. As for my question, sorry, YDS is teething, I've been sleeping in 2hr intervals for weeks now! LOL Last time I asked, everyone talked me out of it & I'm glad they did! LOL

tam

snowbird25ca

Did they say why? I am having a hard time coming up with a reasonable theory for why this would make any difference if all that height was in the legs. :confused: Not that I would ignore it, but I want to understand.

Honestly I think it's to limit how far over the top slots a child can go. He didn't say why, but he was very clear and it was in response to asking if there was a limit over how far over the top slots a child could safely be. So if a kid has height all in their legs, then they can't go over the top slots, end of story.

mam521

BRU trade and save is coming up at the end of this month. If you have something you can trade in (old stroller, old car seat, play-yard, even an old crib,) then you get 20% off regular priced items and britax was included last time. I'd really be tempted that if you're going to move to a seat with taller harness slots to just go with the frontier.

Why...why can't BRU carry Radian's!!! LOL! I dunno if I'll be able to offload my spare Frontier before Snugglebugz sale is over but could likely do it before trade n save. Oh well

canucksuisse

Problem solved!

I am happy to say that the problem has been solved!

I first installed the seat in the middle but was not happy about the install, too wobbly . So back to the passenger side it was. Tried to install it more upright and now the the straps are at shoulder level or above. More like exactly at shoulder level but I am happy with it.

I also took her to the department store for some weighing in. (We don't own a scale). Made her take off her coat and shoes and on most scales she does have 18 kg. Since we are in Quebec I am going with the kg requirements. (It's almost 1/3 lbs less. :) For every ones information. scales are truly calibrated differently and yes, you will get very funny stares when you have your kid step from one scale to the other.

The final verdict is she is still staying in her Radian for right now. But I will go out and get a good booster. And I will check on a monthly basis how the Radian still fits.

Thank you everyone so much for your answers. I am off booster researching now.

tam_shops

Isn't the car seat weight based on weight WITH coat/sweater & shoes? Really, summer is around the corner, so by the time she gains that #, she'll be down to shorts & a t-shirt. Are we talking 18kg for RF weight? I'll have to remember to weigh in kg if we ever get close to that 45#RF we're aloud...

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC