2011 Sienna no RFing tether in 3rd row?

mrs.christie

I was reading the 2011 Toyota Sienna review on here from about a year ago and was disappointed to read that there is no RFing tether location for the third row. This is a bummer as I was planning on putting my daughter in the 3rd row for the next few years until she is big enough to forward face.

Since the review is a year old I was wondering if maybe anything has changed regarding rfing tether spots for the third row. Thanks!

ADS

luckyclov

I have an '11. Because everything in the 2nd row is on a sliding track, I have been unable to find a suitable tether point for a seat installed RF in the 3rd row.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Would it be possible to tether to an unused second-row tether point? (I see OP lists only one child in her siggy, so maybe there is an unused second-row tether point?)

If you haven't bought it yet, buy the Honda Odyssey instead. You'll be much happier. Generally, Honda and Toyota products are equally good. This is the first time in a LONG time that I've seen a direct competitor completely outclass the other one.

JasonDallas

Would it be possible to tether to an unused second-row tether point? (I see OP lists only one child in her siggy, so maybe there is an unused second-row tether point?)

The issue the OP is referring to is that the 2nd row tether points are not fixed. I'm not sure what the technical problem is with that (other than someone just moving the 2nd row seat) but that's where she is coming from. Nothing has changed on that.

Jason

luckyclov

The issue the OP is referring to is that the 2nd row tether points are not fixed. I'm not sure what the technical problem is with that (other than someone just moving the 2nd row seat) but that's where she is coming from. Nothing has changed on that.

Jason

I *think* she meant the tether anchor on the back of the 2nd row captain's chair (if that position is unused)...

luckyclov

If you haven't bought it yet, buy the Honda Odyssey instead. You'll be much happier. Generally, Honda and Toyota products are equally good. This is the first time in a LONG time that I've seen a direct competitor completely outclass the other one.
Dude, there's no "inside" armrests on the 2nd row captain's chairs! That was such a turn off for me. And my 8.5-year old is closer to 5-stepping in the Sienna 3rd row, all seating positions, than the 3rd row of the Ody. My city MPG on the Sienna is insane. I didn't find the Ody as "fun" to drive and I wasn't keen on the brake time. I'm petite and I definitely felt more in control of the vehicle in the Sienna. And my DS1's HBB had more "room to grow" in the 3rd row.

Yes, for large-ish families with a litter of smaller kids, the Ody offers more LATCH positions and a functional 8th seat. It also got 5 stars from NHSTA in the new 2011 testing, but the Sienna still racked 4 overall (female passenger) and is still a IIHS Top Safety Pick.

I may eat my words later, but as of now, it's perfect for my family and I don't regret choosing the Sienna over the Ody at all.

luckyclov

The OP was asking if there was a suitable RF tethering point for a seat installed in the 3rd row, meaning the tether point would have to be located in the 2nd row.:)

mrs.christie

I was considering the 2011 Odyssey, but upon learning about the lack of armrest and the fact that they did away with the "loveseat configuration" for the second row I've reconsidered. I'm pretty sure we'll be done with #2, so I really dont need all the latch spots that the Ody offers, though it would be nice if the Sienna had more.

I still need to go out and compare the 2011 Odyssey, Sienna and Quest. I'm not so sure about the Quest, but I have a feeling it will be a toss up between the Sienna/ Odyssey.

Yeah, most definitely test them in person. Most people get swayed by stuff that is considered "minor" by someone else.

I made a spreadsheet and I can see how it looks like a complete tossup to some people. However, I grew up a certain way and certain things are more important to me than others. After seeing them in person a few times, I happen to GREATLY prefer the Odyssey. I've seen one comparison test by a major car mag in which the testers preferred the Sienna over the Odyssey. And in both cases, it was due to stuff that is really hard to describe or show with pictures. Just gotta experience it in person.

In any case, it's really hard to go wrong. At this point, they're so good, it's sorta like arguing between one which is an A grade vs an A-. I mean, I still remember the minivans that were out in the 80s and 90s pretty well. They are SOOOO much better now.

luckyclov

Definitely test drive them in person...multiple times. And make a check list of pros and cons and what's most important to YOU each time you do test drive. I went into the whole thing *knowing* I wanted the Ody...and, well, that just all changed once I drove the Sienna.

The lack of armrests in the 2nd row was annoying, but it wasn't the dealbreaker. I could have easily overlooked that if the Ody won me over in others areas.

My comfort level with the brakes is HUGE for me because I live in the south and driving isn't really on the top 10 list of what southerners do best. I preferred the brakes on the Sienna. I also just felt...more in control. I'm a fairly petite person, so that's a big deal to me.

And because my oldest is 8 1/2 and in a HBB, the 3rd row and how much height there is to accomodate said booster was very important. And he's closer to 5-stepping in the Sienna 3rd row over the Ody.

The lack of extra LATCH is a non-issue for us since we'd only have booster riders in the 3rd row. But, for some people, yes, that's a legitimate reason to consider the Ody.

The other reason I went with the Sienna is the gas mileage. Unfortunately, I do A LOT of driving - and it's all really sucky city stop and go. The worst MPG I've gotten is 21...and that was after idling for 20 minutes due to an accident at an intersection (see above comment about southerners' lack of driving skills:p). Considering I came from an '09 Grand Caravan, where I was getting 13-14 MPG on a good day, I am thrilled. Beyond thrilled.

I don't dislike the Ody...like codex said, these are great minivans. The Ody just didn't meet my requirements this time around. Maybe next time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC