Insurance Refusing to Pay for Crashed Seat

tweetykl

A friend was over today and we were talking about her car accident. She said that the insurance refused to pay for her daughter's seat because it was unoccupied. Under NHTSA standards, the seat would be crashed because it
met this requirement: * The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged.

She would love some advice on battling the insurance company. They did pay for the other child's seat because he was in the car at the time of the accident.

ADS

wavegal

have her call up the carseat manufacture and they well send her a letter stating the carseat needs to be replaced and tell her insurance manufacture trumps NHSTA

StillThankful

This really irritates me that there isn't a uniform rule on replacing seats w/ insurance companies. (I realize that there isn't a uniform rule on replacing seats even with the car seat manufacturers). You see some people on here that have impact w/ no one even in the car and there insurance companies replace the seats no question:thumbsup:s Then you get some who have insurance companies which battle at the thought of replacing a car seat. :thumbsdown:

skaterbabs

Tell her to not sign anything or cash any checks for the insurance company until they pay for the seat - and not to allow the insurance company to "depreciate" the value of the seat either.

luckyclov

If the manufacturer requires replacement after ANY crash, that's what you do. If the manufacturer defers to NHSTA's minor crash criteria, that's what you do. What's so difficult? It really burns my butt when insurance companies try to pull this crap.:mad:

Let them know NOT TO CASH ANY CHECKS issued by the insurance company. In doing so, they're "accepting" the claim the way it is.

Get copies of the manufacturer's manual and NHSTA's criteria for replacement. Be persistent. Try talking to someone else. They're wrong and eventually they'll get it. Well, hopefully.

Laurelz

If the manufacturer requires replacement after ANY crash, that's what you do. If the manufacturer defers to NHSTA's minor crash criteria, that's what you do. What's so difficult? It really burns my butt when insurance companies try to pull this crap.:mad:

Let them know NOT TO CASH ANY CHECKS issued by the insurance company. In doing so, they're "accepting" the claim the way it is.
Get copies of the manufacturer's manual and NHSTA's criteria for replacement. Be persistent. Try talking to someone else. They're wrong and eventually they'll get it. Well, hopefully.

Yes! Don't sign anything and don't cash anything! I fought my sisters liability insurance to replace my oldest son's seat when she wrecked her car. It was unoccupied and the collision was at the front of the vehicle. They didn't argue they said buy a seat and send us the recipet. I did just that! I did call and talk to several people though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC