Vent huge thumbs down!

lovemybabies924

my cousin came over with her 2m old baby and i was checking out her carseat because i have never messed around w/a rear adjust snugride 22..and low and behold the straps were on the highest slot, i told my cousin and she said that the nurse took the car seat away from them and redid the straps like that and told her thats how it had to be RF!!! the head rest was pulled way down to support the babys head..and of course it flopped around from the slack in the harness so the nurse put a blanket back there.. :thumbsdown:

ADS

skaterbabs

I'd so call the hosp & throw a tizzy.

Um yeah. Talk about liability (and throw that word around a lot!) That nurse could have killed that baby. Lawsuits are not pretty, and the ONLY CPS-related lawsuits ever filed were against hospitals that had this exact same sort of thing happen.

momtotwogirls

I would definately call the hospital and complain. Here the nurses arent allowed to say anything about car seats since they are not CPST's. They are opening themselves to all kinds of liability issues with nurses who are doing that.

zactayaus

Wow! I guess we are really lucky here as we have CPST's that work for our hospital. Each new mom gets a visit from a CPST before she is discharged. They actually have a rolling vehicle seat that they bring right into your room. They show you how a typical install should be and go over using pool noodles and locking clips. They even have you place your baby in their car seat (if you're using an infant seat and it's in your room) so that they can check for harness height and chest clip placement. They go over when you should move the harness up and make sure that you know how to do it. They highly encourage you to let them check your install in your vehicle before you leave. I guess my hospital rocks.:thumbsup: It's where all four of my kiddos were born.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Um, I don't know that *I* would call the hospital if I didn't actual witness this exchange. It is *possible* that your cousin did this harness height adjustment herself, and is embarassed that it's wrong and doesn't want to tell you that. :twocents:

I would certainly educate her on the right way, and let HER call the hospital and complain if she was told differently.

skaterbabs

Knowing what I've seen from hospitals, better to call them and have the nurse NOT said it, and the hospital does and in-service to train them, than to let it be and assume the parent did it.

NatesMamma

Wow! I guess we are really lucky here as we have CPST's that work for our hospital...I guess my hospital rocks.:thumbsup: It's where all four of my kiddos were born.

Um, yeah, it does!

Our hospital requires you to bring the car seat (even if it's a convertible :thumbsdown:) into your room so that you can prove you have one. That's it! No one checks it, and you have zero help installing it. It's totally lame.

skaterbabs

Um, yeah, it does!

Our hospital requires you to bring the car seat (even if it's a convertible :thumbsdown:) into your room so that you can prove you have one. That's it! No one checks it, and you have zero help installing it. It's totally lame.

the reason for that is the they don't have CPSTs on staff. You *really* do not want an untrained nurse "helping" with your seat.

NatesMamma

the reason for that is the they don't have CPSTs on staff. You *really* do not want an untrained nurse "helping" with your seat.

Let me explain. :eek:

I wasn't saying that I think untrained nurses should be helping to install the seats! My point is just that *my* hospital totally halfasses the car seat check thing. (A) They don't have anyone trained who can help you. I mean, obviously new parents *should* have the car seat thing figured out long before the baby is born, but let's be realistic here. :rolleyes: (B) They make you bring the car seat into your room. No exceptions. (C) They make you put your baby in the seat on the floor of your room and then nurse *looks* at it. Literally. As in, "Yep, there's a seat over there. With a baby in it." I think this may make clueless new parents think she's doing some sort of safety check, which she's definitely not. (D) Suppose the new parents actually had a CPST help with their new convertible seat. The parents now have to uninstall a properly installed seat and lug it up to L&D. Then they have to drag the darn thing back down to the parking lot and attempt to re-install it under less than ideal conditions. (Frazzled dad, screaming newborn, exhausted, recovering mom...)

I just think their setup sucks all around and that instead of "pretending" to ensure the baby is going home safely, they need to either get some CPSTs on staff or simply ask, "Do you have a car seat?" and leave it at that. KWIM?

skaterbabs

I don't disagree. Most hospitals DO require that a nurse accompany the parents out to the car; a visual check that a set is in available is really all they're qualified to do. A complaint with the hospital board would mean a great deal towards removing the in-room "inspection" that leaves parents with bad information and the idea that the nurse actually knows what s/he is doing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC