Please tell me what to do (some language!)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I know this should be my decision, but I am seriously procrastinating and I don't know what to do. I have some issues that are preventing me from being able to make a decision. Please, I honestly need help.

Just weighed DD and she was 40.2# after supper with jammies on. Her seat only goes to 40# RF and is incompatible in our vehicle FF. At least in the morning her tummy will be empty as long as I make sure she pees before we leave...but that means I should likely leave her jacket off and definitely no shoes (which we usually take off anyway). I just weighed her a couple days ago with a dress and she was 38.8#, so I thought I had more time. :(

She needs a new seat...uh NOW apparently? can I pretend I have anymore time?

My problem is, I don't want to FF her yet. My only option is the Radian. The Radian bites in our vehicle. She will be way reclined and I'd have to put her centre, and not sure I'm comfortable with the install anyway (or the seat, just not a fan of SK and the Radian).

The Nautilus works on our vehicle. I've tested it. It also works in my parents' vehicle, although my dad prefers the Frontier XT which also works. I need two seats. A Nautilus for us and a Frontier for my dad would be fine...other than the fact that I am super uncomfortable FF her.

I'd like to order a Swedish seat. Several problems exist:
  1. harder to get them into Canada as sometimes foreign seats are seized at the border even though it isn't technially illegal to bring them in (illegal to use them YES, not illegal to bring them here)
  2. in any particular instance, she could be over the RF limit in her My Rides, which she has in both our vehicle and my parents so waiting for a Swedish seat could be dangerous. It's not an option to not take her in the vehicle as sometimes she just has to come with us or my parents. (going to work, appointments, etc.) so apparently I procrastinate this decision too long...

I think I know what the answer is, but I need a kick in the frickin' butt to go ahead and do it. I keep delaying stuff...I don't want to do this...I hate the old dates of the Nautili here, I hate the covers, I hate that I have to order the Frontier online or get one with a DOM over a year old, I hate that the hot pink Frontier cover isn't out yet....and those are just excuses because I have a zillion other reasons why I hate her FF...

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

bubbaray

How old is she?

ETA: regardless of her age, I'd be uncomfortable using a seat RFg beyond its spec'd weight limit. *I* have used a seat beyond height limits (er, rather, I just ignored the height limit), but I'm not comfy ignoring the weight limits. I have heard of people using seats beyond the weight limit for RFg, but I wouldn't recommend it personally.

Why not just get the GN and the FR and then get 2nd covers from the US that you like? That is what I did.

I would not import a seat. Strollers, he!! yeah. Car seat, no.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
How old is she?
NO, you are not allowed to ask that....

Really, you're not allowed...

Okay, she is 18 months....UGH, I lie...she is 2....UGH still lie...3, yes 3, she is 3....DOES SOMEONE HAVE ME IN AN INTERROGATION ROOM??? 4 YEARS 7 MONTHS! YES SHE IS 4 years, 7 months. :(

Did I mention severe anxiety? Like seriously...I am crying right now even thinking about this...heart thumping...

Shanora

{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

First breath! She will be ok FFing, she's old enough, and now weighs enough.
Second, PM Adventuredad, and talk to him about a swedish seat, and getting it imported. I would be ok with FFing until the seat got here.
I would NOT be ok using that seat RFing past the weight limit.

bubbaray

4 YEARS 7 MONTHS! YES SHE IS 4 years, 7 months. :(

Um, OK. Well, FTR, I turned DD#1 at 13m for medical reasons. Not happy with that decision, but she was having asthma attacks in the car and the dr's wanted that stopped.

I turned DD#2 when she outgrew her 1 MA (30lbs, about 2.5) and then her 2nd MA (33lbs, about 34m).

So, um. Yeah. Well, who am I to even be in this discussion?

ETA: and I boostered DD#1 at age 5y1m, even though I had harnessed seats that fit her. She was 40lbs, she was compliant in the booster training (thanks Quassee!) and the fit was excellent.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

First breath! She will be ok FFing, she's old enough, and now weighs enough.
Second, PM Adventuredad, and talk to him about a swedish seat, and getting it imported. I would be ok with FFing until the seat got here.
I would NOT be ok using that seat RFing past the weight limit.
Trying to breathe...not working...

I have nothing to FF her in. I wanted to keep our TFs but DH got annoyed with keeping them around and they FIT FF in our vehicle. I could have used them FF for a little bit now until I got something new. But, now I have nothing for FF. :(

Last edited:

bubbaray

Well, if this were Sweden and she had outgrown her RFg seat, she'd move right to a booster. Have you considered that? 4.5 is kinda my very lowest comfort level, but she's heavy enough -- would she be mature enough to booster?

Of course, that would be a huge step for *you*. :p

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well, if this were Sweden and she had outgrown her RFg seat, she'd move right to a booster. Have you considered that? 4.5 is kinda my very lowest comfort level, but she's heavy enough -- would she be mature enough to booster?

Of course, that would be a huge step for *you*. :p
I was actually fine with that until KQ's rollover...and then I thought that it wouldn't be enough to keep her in her seat if we rolled. :(

Keeanh

If she's that old, and short enough to RF in a MR, how about a Maestro to fill in the gap until you get another RF seat. Or until you're ready to booster her? Yeah, I know it's ugly :p.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
For the record-- my belt and Jeff's did their jobs.

I'm of the opinion that if this same crash had happened during a period when Emma was likely to be awake, and she was in her normal booster-- Oobr-- she would still be fine. Possibly even less bruising, as she would perhaps have been kept from rotating QUITE so far toward the door. :eek:

However, Ems is almost 7. She wasn't full-time boostered until almost 6 1/2, and she wasn't even tried in one until 5 years 9 months. Whether you're comfortable with that for YOUR child is up to you. The only reason I harness her on long trips, is her tendency to slump when asleep. (After the crash, however, she now wants to use a harness full-time for a while. She says that even though she knows her booster is safe, she feels safer in a harness right now. I will probably acquiesce to this request.)

bubbaray

I was actually fine with that until KQ's rollover...and then I thought that it wouldn't be enough to keep her in her seat if we rolled. :(

But, statistically, most collisions aren't rollovers. For a child who will sit properly in the seat, meets the weight minimum, and with a properly fitting booster, it *is* a safe choice.

*I* was particularly keen to move my DD#1 to a booster because she has a massive head. OK, not massive, but she can wear my hats (she has DH's head, not mine, FTR). But she's skinny. She's still 40lbs, 2 yrs later. I was concerned about the forces on her neck in a crash if she was harnessed.

KQs crash was horrific. No doubt. Would her DD have a broken leg if she had been RFg -- we can only speculate. I think the take home message from that crash was that properly used restraints save lives, period. I personally wouldn`t run out and buy a Swedish seat for a nearly 5yo child, though.

JMHO.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, so if I was to get a booster, what would I get? Our booster options suck here...but then again, if I was going to booster, maybe I just do a Nauti and then I could do either (assuming it boosters well on her which I'm not sure as I didn't test that, silly me).

I don't know if she'd be a good booster rider, she's only ever RFed. When RF she just hangs out and puts her feet up and plays on my iPad or iPhone.

bubbaray

DD#1 started in a Monterey. Actually, she first started in Quassee's Monterey for a few weeks as a trial, then I purchased her one because she was REALLY compliant. A little over a year later, I got her a Parkway for DH's truck. She MUCH prefers the Monterey. We just got back from 2w in Disneyland and Palm Springs and used an Apramo LBB for her there -- she HATED it. She regularly sleeps in the Monterey (and also the Parkway) and just could not get the hang of it in the LBB. Her head would bounce all over the place.

The Turbobooster also fits a lot of kids really well (don't forget the arm rest screws) and might be a good choice for the GPs if she's not riding in their vehicle often. Its not as high as the Monterey or Parkway, though. You will NOT want to be moving the Monterey from car to car, though. Its a real beast and the LATCH connectors are a PITA to fiddle with. (I have the original Monterey though)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Frick, I don't think there is anywhere I can try a Monterey here. The place that sold SK closed down. :mad: and I don't think the Bay carries the Parkway? at least I didn't see it there last time I bought the YEAR old Frontier...

bubbaray

Also, just wanted to add that so much of my decision to booster was based on *my* child.

And, I am not expecting to booster DD#2 at age 5. Maybe age 15 if she's lucky. She's, um, a bit of a handful.

bubbaray

Frick, I don't think there is anywhere I can try a Monterey here. The place that sold SK closed down. :mad: and I don't think the Bay carries the Parkway? at least I didn't see it there last time I bought the YEAR old Frontier...

You could try a TB, look for one with extra padding for comfort. The PW also fits a lot of kids well. The Monterey is hit and miss -- some techs here swear it doesn't fit skinny kids well, but my DD#1 is proof that it does fit *some* skinny kids well. She has a long torso, so that might be it, dunno. I wouldn't recommend buying a Monterey if you can't try it or borrow it first, though (well, unless you can find somewhere with free return shipping).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
DD isn't skinny. She's got chunky thighs and just does not look thin (DD1 was thin). I don't think there is anywhere I can even buy a Monterey that allows returns *at all* let alone does free returns for it. Is there anywhere in Canada that allows returns of a Monterey or Parkway?

Talked to DH, he thinks she should be harnessed. Thinks she's not ready to sit still in a booster. Can't really tell till we try though. Maybe I should buy a booster and try her in the booster in a parking lot and drive around in circles for awhile :D

The Oobr also fits small kids well, but may be out of your price range.

I can make whatever price work if the seat is what we need. The problem with the Oobr is the same place that carried SK and closed is the same place that carried Clek. So, I'd have to order online and be stuck with it if it didn't work (no online independent baby stores allow returns of car seats here)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC