kids in boosters.

love-pink

My dd1 and ds2 are 6 and 5 and both weigh right around 46lbs. They have turbo boosters for my Envoy and sit in the third row.

Today we had some great Michigan weather and slid right across our lane into on coming traffic. Luckily we were able to stop because we were about 2 feet from ending up in a 15 foot irrigation ditch filled with water. :eek::eek:

After I got us to the right side of the (and my heart went back into my chest), it really got me thinking that maybe they would be safer in a 5 point harness. In my 3rd row there is no latch or top tethers. :thumbsdown:

Would you get them a rn or gn to go back into a 5 point? Would you leave them in the tb?? Do you feel your kids are better off in a 5 point? When do you feel its safer to be in a booster over the 5 point??

Im really second guessing myself after all that today. :(:(

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are no data showing one is better than another at that age. In untethered harnesses their head excursion would be no more than in boosters, no less.

I'd go for a Nautilus over a Radian. You're not going to rear face them, and they have top slots an inch lower than the Nautilus. And they're more expensive than the Nautilus.

But I'd just leave them in their Turbos. Even if you had hit something (well, not the ravine) they'd have been very well protected.

Wendy

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I'm so glad nothing worse happened and that everyone is okay. I agree with a lot of what Wendy says, but I personally would leave a child in a 5-pt harness as long as possible. DS is 8 yrs old and in a Regent in my minivan (a TurboBooster in DH's vehicle b/c a Regent won't fit...).

I'd also go with the Nautilus over the Radian at their ages. Another choice would be the Frontier 85.

If you do want to harness them again and are worried about the tethers, you can have them retrofitted in many vehicles.

Good luck with your decision - hope this helps. And stay safe up there!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
How did they fare in their boosters? Were' they ok i assume, since you dont mention any injuries? Did something actually HAPPEN to make you think they werent safe?

I guess I'd be using the incident as evidence that they ARE safe in their boosters.

LM4M

CPST Instructor
I'm so glad nothing worse happened and that everyone is okay. I agree with a lot of what Wendy says, but I personally would leave a child in a 5-pt harness as long as possible. DS is 8 yrs old and in a Regent in my minivan (a TurboBooster in DH's vehicle b/c a Regent won't fit...).

I'd also go with the Nautilus over the Radian at their ages. Another choice would be the Frontier 85.

If you do want to harness them again and are worried about the tethers, you can have them retrofitted in many vehicles.

Good luck with your decision - hope this helps. And stay safe up there!

But she has no tether anchors.

love-pink

Everyone is fine :) We didnt hit anything and stopped short of the ditch by 2 feet if not less. :( They sit very well in their boosters and its a ton easier to get everyone in the car as they can buckle themselves.

I guess the only reasoning in my head was a fear that they somehow were going to fly out of the tb. :confused: Or just that the 5 point would keep them restrained better if we would have been hit by the on coming traffic.

Yes the gns are alot cheaper but if needed the rns would work for me in a 3 across in the second row. :thumbsup:

I dont have top tethers in the 3rd row and my Envoy xl is a 06 so as far as I know retro fitting them is not an option. :thumbsdown:

skaterbabs

Personally, I like to keep kids harnessed to at LEAST 6, but unless you're really worried, I don't know that I'd recommend new seats.

That said, the turbo is pretty short as boosters go. If you wanted to go with the Frontier you could harness them when you need to, but use the booster once outgrown. That said, if you can't tether them, that is an issue. I missed what kind of vehicle you drive, but even if you can't get tether anchors installed (most cars can) if you have a third row you can tether them to the third row seatbelts.

love-pink

I have an 06 Gmc Envoy XL, can I get tethers installed?? I thought I had asked before and it was not an option for my vehicle. :confused: The seats are both in the 3rd row as I have dd2 and ds1 in the second row. I havent been able to fit a 3 across with a rfing seat and 2 boosters in the 2nd row. :(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe a Parkway SG? Would the lap strap make you feel better? And the headrest is taller than the Turbo, so if it fits back there at full height, you could have headwings for potentially a year or 3 longer.
Do you have side curtain airbags? If so, I guess I wouldn't worry. I won't use a Turbo for my own kids (too many boosters I like better for too many other reasons...), but if your kids sit properly, they are quite safe. No, you can't add top tethers to that car.

MOM25BOYS

Would you consider trying another booster with them?? I did't like the turbo, even though I know it is a safe option, it just didn't seem to snug MY boys that well. :eek: I know you said you thought about being able to do a 3 across and the SK Monterey's might would allow you to do that. :) To me the Monterey's snug my boys alot better and seem to cover the head area more than the TB did, but that's just my opinion as I know the TB offers proper coverage to the head also. I don't have air bags on my 3rd row and will not allow a child to sit back there without being in a HBB since they are so close to all that glass.

Glad everyone is ok and I am sure that was a scary moment. Had one of them myself this weekend. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC