Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Seat shopping and would love to know your top picks

I was glad I went with my daughter and parents today because I found out her seat in their car is due to be replaced this fall. So I get to go seat shopping!! I'm excited. DD rides FF in a Complete Air in my car now but that will most likely move into their car and I want to get her something with a high 5point limit. My first thought was the Radian XLST, played with a RF radian 80 in a friends car and loved it. But I'm open to other suggestions. I have a 00 Volvo s40, so no latch and she rides in the middle at 30lbs and 38 inches tall if that helps.
    Samantha
    Mommy to G: 32 lbs and 38 inches, back to RF in a RN80SL, part time FF in a BF85

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Re: Seat shopping and would love to know your top picks

How old is she?

For a 30# 5yo, my top pick would be a Nautilus or Frontier -- no point in buying a convertible if you aren't going to take advantage of rear-facing capability.

For a 30# 18mo, my top pick would be a rear-facing *anything*.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

CPS Technician
    If you are not rf, I wouldn't waste money on a rf seat. I would get a ff only seat (meastro, nautilus, frontier85).

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

She is 3 sorry, thought I got all the stats in

But would the BF 85 expire before she could even use it as a booster? They are 6 years right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybugmama View Post
    But would the BF 85 expire before she could even use it as a booster? They are 6 years right?
    The F85 is good for 9 years

Carseat Crazy
    The frontier has a 9 year expiration, I believe.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org
    Rachel
    DD (7/08) ~52 lbs, 47" in a Cowmoo Frontier85
    DS (4/11) ~32 lbs, 39" in an XTSL
    DS (2/13) ~22 lbs, 33" in an RXT

The Frontier 85 has a 9 year lifespan (from date of manufacture). So, figuring it's not rated for use until 2 years old, has the highest harness top slots on the current market, has an 85-lb harness weight limit, and converts to a highback booster (which happens to also be, I think, the tallest highback booster on the current market), it should very well be the last child seat you need.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

WOW! Thanks! The expiration was what had me flip flopping for the most part. If it was 6 then I figured I could use the Radian with a future kiddo and move her to a booster or something else. But 9 is awesome and I think she will get the full use of it!
    Last edited by Ladybugmama; 04-03-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    Samantha
    Mommy to G: 32 lbs and 38 inches, back to RF in a RN80SL, part time FF in a BF85