Question New seat for 8 month old or 4 year old

Wildintheory

Currently, my 20 lb 8 month old daughter is in a infant seat (Graco Snuggride 32) that I'm itching to get rid of. It's become too heavy, spring is on the way, and she wakes up the second the car door opens so the only advantage of a infant seat is lost. Anyway, I was thinking of getting her a Grace MyRide or a Radian Premier.

My 4 year old (44 lbs and 42") is in a Radian (65 I think, it was bought in the spring of 2008). I was just going to keep him in this seat for now since he's happy in it and it fits him well. But maybe I should be getting him something like the Nautilus and put the baby in his Radian (RF, of course.)

We drive a 2004 Ford Escape. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ADS

featherhead

Either way would work really. How long are you planning to rear-face? If your goal is past age two (which I would highly recommend) then I think I would probably leave the 4-year-old in the Radian and get a different seat for baby. Your Radian will only have a 30 lb rear-facing limit, and since your daughter is 20 lbs at 8 months, my guess is she'd be around 30ish at 2 years. Does your daughter have a long torso? How much shell is above her head in the SR32? If she is fairly average then the MyRide65 would be a great choice. If she has a longer torso then I would lean more towards a new Radian. Have you ever had your Radian rear-facing in your car? It would be a good idea to make sure it fits before you order another one.

mommycat

An alternative for a taller seat with a 40lb RF limit, if the Radian does not install well, would be the Safety 1st Complete Air. It has a very tall shell as well, but installs more upright much more easily, and doesn't have the same types of install issues as the Radian potentially does.

If DD is not tall (at least in the torso) then I agree that the MyRide makes a lovely RF seat. If you find it doesn't install well for you once it needs to go FF, you can pass down the Radian at that time and DS may be booster ready by then.

Is your DD crawling/walking yet? If not, then her weight growth may slow down once she gets moving, but it is not guaranteed so passing down the Radian now is a bit of a guessing game.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC