Would you re-rearface a 4 year old for a long trip?

luvsviola

DD is 4.25 years old, 35 pounds, and rides FFing in a TrueFit in my car, and FF in a Radian XTSL in DH's car. She was turned FF in December in my car, and FF in DH's car just a couple weeks ago after the end of the ice/snow.

We are going to Florida (1,000 miles) soon. Would you re-rearface a 4 year old for a long car trip so it is more comfortable for sleeping? It would mean using the XTSL from DH's car in the van, but that is no problem. She is not opposed to re-rearfacing since our newborn daughter is (obviously) RFing next to her.

Downside to the XTSL is that it has no cup holder, while the TrueFit does. But, the XTSL has headwings to lay her head on for sleeping, and looks more comfortable overall.

WWYD?

ADS

oxeye

Yup, I definitely would and have for long drives in the past. I do a lot of car seat switching for longs drives. Kids who could still RF but are normally FF will be flipped around, and booster-age kids who will fall asleep in the car but are still small enough to be harnessed will be harnessed.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yup I did :) By 3.5 DD usually rode FF but for long trips (especially at high speeds) I turned her RF & she always like it (her last trip RF was almost 4.5 yrs)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Nicholas will be RF for our big trip (MD to FL) in December. He'll be almost 3 then. After KQ's accident, I'm committed to RF to at least 4.

Susan

MommyBoha

yep. If it didnt mean going and buying a new seat when I really cant, Id RF my 5 year old for our trip this week. As it is, my 8 year old will be harnessed(b/c of KQ)

valleyfam

Absolutely! DD1 will be four in 2 days and still rear faces in her My Ride. I'm actually dreading turning her for long trips. It is so much more comfy for her to sleep rf and she rarely drops her markers, toys, and snacks when rf but loses things easier when she's ff. Just for ideas we took some color wonder makers and books, a couple of stuffed animals and small baby bottles, and her Polly Pocket size Princesses. They were great for the car. As for the cup holder - I know bummer that's one reason we love the My Ride - 2 cup holders. Are you traveling as a family? Could a passenger pass it to her let her hold if for a while and pass it back? Have a great trip.

Kat_Momof3

I would in a heartbeat, unless she complained and requested to be turned around.

a comfortable child is essential on a long trip.

Mommy2Marcus

I would have RF'd Marcus last year on our 9 hour drive to FL if he had not been over the weight limit. He was almost 4.

momtotwogirls

Yes I would and will. We are going on a trip at the end of May and my oldest will be 4y 1 month by then and she will rear face for the 400 miles to Vegas and the 400 miles to PHX as well. When we get back home if she wants to ff in her FN then she can but while we are out of town on long trips she will rear face for as long as she can. She prefers to rear face anyway.

urchin_grey

Yep, definitely. Bram really wants to FF so I will probably let him once his bone age is 4+ (he's currently at 2.5 so that could take a year or more since he's not starting growth hormone therapy until the end of the year). Even once he's FF though, I would still RF him for long trips until he no longer fit.

urchin_grey

wow... now that's something that surprised me... I remember him hating the idea (and that face that was your old siggy pic) :love:

He did! In the True Fit, anyway. His legs and AFOs hit in a weird spot on it, I think that was his main complaint. I don't think its a FF vs. RF thing so much as just a different thing though. Actually, if he had it his way, he'd ride in a seatbelt. :dizzy: When I put him in his seat, he points to the front passenger seat and says "right there, right there!" LOL But he also asks to sit in his cousins' (RF) seats all the time. And one of them is also a Radian, just a different cover. :rolleyes:

He's still RF 100% of the time though and will be for a while yet. (My new siggy pic is my view from the driver's seat while parked at Sonic. LOL) We'll basically be getting new bone age scans at least once a year, so we'll know exactly when he's at a better age (developmentally) to FF, which is pretty neat!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Absolutelyl. I mean, i wouldnt buy a new seat or bankrupt my family to re-rf a 4 yo, but if i HAD a seat they could use? Darn tootin'!

rodentranger

I would if I was able. I currently do a total seat shuffle when we're driving more than an hour in any direction so that my 4 yo can rf in my XTSL. I'm not sure how much longer I can do that though since my YDS loathes the CA for long rides and no longer fits my MAs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC