Prosport FR 85 ??

Baylor

So I had my heart set on an FR 85.. But I see that the Prosport goes to 90 pounds harnessed? top slot is 18.5.. Boosters to 120...

Tell me why you like either better..

This is a car seat I never even hear of til coming here.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Do you need the extra harness height of the Frontier? If not, the ProSport is a viable option. For those who are looking at the ProSport, the Nautilus has top slots right about the same, but a 65 pound harness limit, and is a lot less expensive. So while I recommend the ProSport, it's the least cost effective of the good combination seats, but may be necessary for those who require the weight over the torso height.

Wendy

Baylor

Yes, I am sure I need more height for the 3 yr old.

I am going to get a third seat and was set on the FR85 and price wise they are not that far off,

Looking at the Pro sport, It looks extra comfy.

FR85 has that extra 1/2 inch of Harness height at 19 inches I see...

hmm.. I don't know..

Murphy's Law

I can't comment on the Frontier, but I have a Nauti and a Prosport. In harness mode, the Nauti causes head slump with my kids when they sleep. The Prosport is fantastic for sleeping. It seems to be quite comfortable. There is a quirk with the latch strap though - it's right behind the child's back and not quite flush with the seat. I keep waiting for my ds to complain about it but he hasn't. I think it has a quirky seatbelt install in some cars as well, interfering with the harness slots. But we are in with Latch currently and haven't run into this issue yet. The Prosport has some pretty fantastic looking SIP, which makes me like it more than the Nautilus, however I do currently have a child in each seat and I'm comfortable with them both.

I can't see the Prosport harness ever making 90 pounds, but maybe in a rare case it would.

christineka

The prosport's top slot isn't really 18.5 inches. It's more like 17.5. Also, the harness is short. My 65 pound 9 yo dd with a short torso had no tail left and I had to squeeze the crotch buckle pieces together. The booster only adjusts up to 19 inches, same as the nautilus. The prosport adjusts the seatbelt beautifully, but good luck buckling with the deep sides. Of course, we have the same issue with the nautilus. I don't like using combo seats as boosters because they are so difficult.

Spam

I've used both and prefer the fr85. A has a long torso (stats in siggy). I lost a lot of harness height with the install of the prosport, A was using the top slots. I agree the harness is short, A isn't chunky at all and with jeans and a sweatshirt, there was maybe 2" of tail left. The seatbelt install interefered with the harness, and the seatbelt across the back seems uncomfy. Recaro sent me a comfort foam to go over it and it helped. I loved the deep sides, but over all it isn't the right seat for us. I didn't find it any more padded than the fr85 either. A is on the third or fourth click from the top of fr85. I :love: the cow. He also rides in a nauti, next to top slots and I like that seat too.

Baylor

Thanks. I am going to stick with the FR85. Thanks. I love my Nautilus.. I wonder what the harness height will be on the ARGO. I wonder if it would be worth waiting for that.

Is it ARGO or ARGOS?

Laurelz

:) I should've just waited and read a little further before posting my thread on this topic.

I didn't realize you'd loose so much harness after installing it. hmmmm. I've played with a ProSport very briefly at the store and put my ODS in it and he fit fine (I didn't have him buckled in, I just wanted to see the fit), but I do agree with pp that it wasn't anymore padded than the FR in my eyes.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
christineka said:
Also, the harness is short. My 65 pound 9 yo dd with a short torso had no tail left and I had to squeeze the crotch buckle pieces together.

Yes, this. J is on the second to top harness height and I'm shocked how little tail he has left. I like it as a seat and it fits my current needs really well, but I think for you the F85 is a better option. The 5lbs is very much outweighed by the several inches of harness height.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC