Question how to tell someone nicely that their seat is expired

sweetpeamami83

I have a friend on facebook who posted a picture of her toddler in a car seat. The problem is its a century car seat and is WAY expired. How do I tell her nicely that it is? Or do I just leave it a lone. Last time I tried saying something to a friend who had her 2.5 year old in a backless booster she basically told me to mind my own business. She had bought a 2010 camero and that was the only seat that would fit. :eek:

I find it hard to give someone info without them feeling like I'm telling them they are doing something wrong. I would rather send her the info and have her mad ( I dont see her in real life) then to not say something and know the seat is expired and her get in a crash and the seat fail and me feel horrible for keeping my mouth shut.

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Could you post a general info post/status update and hope she reads it? Something about carseats expire...where to check on the seat, maufacturers websites, and how about throwing in the you tube video about crashed seats?

It'll get the info out there and you're not directing it at any one person.

Susan

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Compliment/criticism/compliment.

"My goodness how much he's grown! You might want to call Graco (they bought Century in 2004) and double check on that carseat's expiration, or check the back. It should say, "Do not use after December 20XX." Century seats are nearly all expired.

Where did you get that cute coat he's wearing? I love it. I wish I had one for my own child. It's adorable."

Wendy

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Compliment/criticism/compliment.

"My goodness how much he's grown! You might want to call Graco (they bought Century in 2004) and double check on that carseat's expiration, or check the back. It should say, "Do not use after December 20XX." Century seats are nearly all expired.

Where did you get that cute coat he's wearing? I love it. I wish I had one for my own child. It's adorable."

Wendy

Yes, the whole sandwich technique, where you stick the negative between 2 positives. Works like a charm.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Learned it here. :) I was a Communication major at an Ivy League school, but I learned the best interpersonal communication tips here.

Wendy

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ditto Wendy

& if you click my name to go to my profile you'll find my (out of date & unofficial) website link ... in the photo albums you'll find misuse errors, one of which shows a broken carseat ... IIRC it was expired & the wrong slots were used (unreinforced RF slots used FF) ... the shell busted during a crash & I believe the child died ... the photo mostly speaks to using the correct slots but that issue is more of a concern in older carseats so it could still be relevant?

Also I believe I have a link in a different area of my site (probably "safety seat basics") showing a crash test of an expired seat where the dummy rips through the shell.

I would check for you if my phone was cooperating. Hope this wasn't a useless post :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC