Question wwyd-mismatched, expired turbobooster

Chris

I was watching a friend's child for her the other day while they were out of town. A relative dropped her tiny four year old off along with his booster. I have seen her boosters in her car, and on occasion had them in my car, but always when she put it in. When the booster was sitting in my house I noticed that the top and bottom had slightly different fabrics. Similar, but not the same. I got curious, and checked out the manufacture dates. One piece had a 2003 manufacture date, the other a 2004 date. She has older kids, so these are probably the pieces from their boosters, and I know that she still has one or two other boosters, so the matching parts might be somewhere, riding mismatched and expired as well!

My questions are: Would you say something, and if so, how would you approach it? We aren't close, but have been a part of a preschool co-op and have been occasionally carpooling. She tends to be hard to read, and I am not sure if she is easily offended, would welcome the advice, or possibly go nutso on me (ok, probably not nutso)

With gas prices what they are, it is really helpful when we carpool for preschool as it is a 20+ min drive on hwy's to get to the other moms homes. She likes for her son to ride in his HBB in my car, because I currently only have an extra backless, but hers is expired (by one or two years depending on which piece you count :whistle:) My daughter has been riding in one of her boosters because my HBB was crashed and we are still trying out replacements, so I don't have a good carpool seat currently. In my car my large 4 yr old is in a Nautilus, but moving it each time we carpool is unrealistic, because in my car it takes me about 20 min to get a solid, satisfactory install. I am sure it would get faster with time, but we only have 3-4 carpool exchanges before the end of the year, and I am not sure how happy she would be with me showing up at her house 1/2 hr early each time to wrestle my seat into her car.

A new seat really isn't an option immediately. A maestro is in our future as the new spare, but that will be a couple of months down the road I think. I do have my "crashed" turbo HBB. Our accident was a fender bender, but my radiator was busted so the car was undrivable, putting the accident into the moderate category, per NHTSA guidelines. The seat was unoccupied, unbuckled (I know, don't flame me), and didn't move an inch in the accident. It was also the furthest seat from the impact, (3rd row, I rear ended someone). No one was injured, but the seats have all been pulled from use, and all the kids are in their spares. Anyone want to venture an educated opinion as to whether it is more dangerous to use her expired seat or my "crashed one". Or should I put my 4yr old in DD1's non-crashed, non-expired, backless cosco seat for carpool?

Also, just wondering, if two non-expired turbos were mismatched (backs and seats) would that create a safety hazard? Just curious...

Sorry for the rambling, just trying to work out all the possibilities in my sleep deprived mommy head!

ADS

BeautifulChaos

I don't know about the turbo boosters, but I have had a similar experience with a co-op mom. She showed up with an expired seat and I politely explained it was a liability to me and I would use my daughters spare for her child until she bought a new one. No child rides in my car in an unsafe seat, and no way would I let my child do so in anyones car.
Coincidentally she chose a nautilus, but has trouble installing it, so every week I switch it from one car to the other, in a 3 across situation, and I am pregnant and the size of a small planet. Fast? No. Convienient? No. But I figure its easier than a funeral.

I would explain your liability to the mother and hope for the best. And I would not let my child ride in her car unless I knew the seat was safe and installed properly

henrietta

Could you politely explain what you noticed, tell her about your "crashed" seat, and ask if she would like to go in w/you on ONE high back booster to be shared right now? Even if it's a $29 Cosco Pronto from Big Lots or an Evenflo Big Kid Sport from Walmart? Would it be possible just to switch one booster back and forth until the end of the year, since your kids have spares for the time being for your car?

hths

henrietta

Chris

Could you politely explain what you noticed, tell her about your "crashed" seat, and ask if she would like to go in w/you on ONE high back booster to be shared right now?

I hadn't even thought of splitting a seat! That is a great idea. That is why I need you brilliant people!!!

jessi f

I do have my "crashed" turbo HBB. Our accident was a fender bender, but my radiator was busted so the car was undrivable, putting the accident into the moderate category, per NHTSA guidelines. The seat was unoccupied, unbuckled (I know, don't flame me), and didn't move an inch in the accident. It was also the furthest seat from the impact, (3rd row, I rear ended someone). No one was injured, but the seats have all been pulled from use, and all the kids are in their spares. Anyone want to venture an educated opinion as to whether it is more dangerous to use her expired seat or my "crashed one". Or should I put my 4yr old in DD1's non-crashed, non-expired, backless cosco seat for carpooling?

Sorry for the rambling, just trying to work out all the possibilities in my sleep deprived mommy head!

This is purely my personal opinion as a mom ,not an expert, but if your booster was unoccupied, unbuckled, and did not move/fall in the crash I cant see how it would be damaged. :twocents: (not that I dont respect your being cautious :)) Someone with more experience may disagree with me.

I would be very hesitant to let my daughter use one of your friends boosters for carpooling if the condition of the seat was unknown. Could could it be mixed up with part of the expired booster you noticed?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC