Another deadly bus crash in our area

ADS

Evolily

Very sad :( I was reading about it earlier

I think, with these stories, it's important to remember that every month in Mississipi 50-60 or more people die in motor vehicle accidents. These stories are sad, but they are still such a small minority of fatalities. They just get a lot more attention.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
That is true. In the past year alone we have had nearly 10 young kids injured or killed from being ejected in a crash... and thats just ejections, not including anything else.I think our state has something likea 90-95% mis or non use rate. Its terrible.

MommaWhitney

We have had a few bus crashes/accidents latly in our area. Its scary. I know its said to be safer but I still feel my kids are safer in thier properly used car seats than on a bus. I only let my oldest ride for feild trips and its cause Ive got no other choice. Its ride the bus or dont go. The whole ride I follow the bus and my pulse is elevated for sure.

Evolily

We have had a few bus crashes/accidents latly in our area. Its scary. I know its said to be safer but I still feel my kids are safer in thier properly used car seats than on a bus. I only let my oldest ride for feild trips and its cause Ive got no other choice. Its ride the bus or dont go. The whole ride I follow the bus and my pulse is elevated for sure.
http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/

In 2009, 2 school bus passengers and 3 school bus drivers died in school bus accidents. 91 people in other vehicles, 1 person on a bicycle, and 21 pedestrians died in school bus related accidents. Riding behind that bus you are likely in much more danger than your child.

Compare that to 33,808 people killed, total, in automobile accidents that year. 1,538 of those people were children, many riding in vehicles to and from school.

Your children are VERY safe in your automobile, safer than most. But, even properly restrained, in the newest/safest car, with the safest driver- it's hard to imagine they would reach the same level of safety provided by a school bus.

erikanohelani

NicoleCPST said:
That is true. In the past year alone we have had nearly 10 young kids injured or killed from being ejected in a crash... and thats just ejections, not including anything else.I think our state has something likea 90-95% mis or non use rate. Its terrible.

It is horrible! I live on the MS coast. I see so many kids riding unsafely on a daily basis. It is just so hard to see.

sholoulou

There is no way I would let my child ride a school bus in my city. We have had children left on a bus (they were sleeping and the driver didnt check) (even in the hot sun), dropped off at the wrong house, one driver arrested for a dwi, released the next morning and drove the bus hours later. Recently, a 6 yr old child's jacket was caught in a door because the driver did not realize another child was getting on the bus. The child was dragged 20 ft and the front tire rolled over him. That is just instances off the top of my head.
Buses might be safer but it also takes a safe driver who is not so much in a hurry that they over look safety.

JMacSanDiego

My son has the option of riding on a school bus to and from his preschool. However on the bus, the kid's carseats are all forward facing. I would rather him stay rear facing for as long as possible. It's not that I don't trust the bus driver, I do. I just don't trust the other motorists on the road. People in San Diego sometimes drive like idiots. My son still has 4 or 5 more inches until his head is the same height as the carseat shell. And he is nowhere near 45 pounds yet (he's in the SK Radian XTSL), so he can still RF. Another thing is that it's so hard to uninstall his carseat (thanks to the LATCH belts) and then reinstall it in my car. I don't want to have to deal with that several times a day, for four days a week (I would buy an extra carseat before I'd deal with that).

MommaWhitney

sholoulou said:
There is no way I would let my child ride a school bus in my city. We have had children left on a bus (they were sleeping and the driver didnt check) (even in the hot sun), dropped off at the wrong house, one driver arrested for a dwi, released the next morning and drove the bus hours later. Recently, a 6 yr old child's jacket was caught in a door because the driver did not realize another child was getting on the bus. The child was dragged 20 ft and the front tire rolled over him. That is just instances off the top of my head.
Buses might be safer but it also takes a safe driver who is not so much in a hurry that they over look safety.

You must be near me. Im in Louisiana and the same stuff happened about an hour from here.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC