I knew ds had a long torso, but wow...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
So I was at wal-mart tonight and bought a joovy sit'n stand stroller (another thread perhaps, but I love it so far,) and decided to try ds in the car seats since he was awake...lol.

Right now he's in a SS1 - he's 7 mos old and 27.25" long and weighs 17.4 lbs. We'd bought the SS1 to replace his 29" snugride because it was almost outgrown...

Anyways, he has definitely outgrown both the 29" snugride & safety 1st designer 22 seat, and I tried him in the Titan and he doesn't have much more room in there than he has in his safe seat? In terms of shell height, the Scenera still had loads of head room though.

We already plan to get him a MA or a Radian, but I was just shocked at how the titan didn't have much more room than his SS1. Is that typical?

And just for fun, here he is a pic of him in his SS1 tonight. I figure he has about 2 to 3" of head room left before he outgrows the seat. :thumbsup:

may15012.jpg

(And yes, I did move the chest clip up slightly before we left...lol.)

ADS

snowbird25ca

Thanks Jacqui. :) He really is all torso as you can tell in the pic...lol. I'm just hoping his legs catch up sometime soon. :whistle:

elle7715

Sorry to but in, but can I ask a question? My son is 3 months old and has a very long torso with short chubby legs. He'll outgrow his 26" Snugride before his sister is ready to hand down her seat. We could run out and get her a seat but I really want to wait for the Recaro. So we could just buy a seat for him as soon as he outgrows the Snugride. Can I ask why you choose to get the safeseat (another infant seat) instead of moving him into a convertible? My son probably has another month left in the Snugride. I love the convenience of the infant seat because I have a very, ahem, active toddler. I'm just having hard time justifying the expense when I don't know how much longer the SS1 will last him, and it will expire before we have another baby use it. I'm just so shocked at how long his torso is! My daughter fit in the Snugride until she was 9 months old. She used to be all leg but recently went through an all-torso growth spurt.

snowbird25ca

Elle - I'm in a hurry, but here's a link to the thread where I was trying to decide:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=13602

Basically we still wanted the convenience of the carrier and we're hoping to get him to close to a year in it. We just use it as a convertible unless he's sleeping, but we wanted to keep that option for when he did fall asleep and it was middle of the night when we got home. We also have really cold winters here. And I got a good deal on it, so will be able to re-sell it for close to what I paid.;)

Kellyr2

Wow, he IS a tall boy! Xander is 8 mo and I think he's not quite as close to the top as Jonas. and he' around 20 lbs now. I love that he's lasting so long. My other two kids were past infant-seat size by 3 mo (this was back when infant seats only went to 27") so 8 mo with room to go thrills me!

skaterbabs

Remember rear facing seats are outgrown by eight NOT accroding to a stated height limit, but when there is less than 1" of hard plastic above the child's head.

elle7715

Thanks! I'll read through that right now. We have some petty nasty winters too, it'd be great if he could be in an infant seat for the worst of it.

DS is about 23-24 inches right now but it's mostly torso! I don't think he'll make it to the 26" guidline before he's within an inch of the top.

JaRylan

Thanks Jacqui. :) He really is all torso as you can tell in the pic...lol. I'm just hoping his legs catch up sometime soon. :whistle:

My 2.5 year old nephew is the same way - all torso and no legs. I was sorting out clothes to pass down to him and I goofed on the pants big time - he's still wearing 18 months in those, lol.

Morganthe

I'm just hoping his legs catch up sometime soon. :whistle:

They probably will, just give them time. A good friend's son was extremely long torsoed. 12 month pants were too tight, but right length when he was wearing 2-3T tops at 24mos. Looked exactly like Charlie Chaplin when he was walking around :p

He's just turned 3 and he's completely proportioned. HE HAS LEGS! Long and strong :) Big kid. Not an ounce of fat, but around 43lbs & 39" tall. He is wearing the same size now on his top and bottom. So there's hope :)

elle7715

They probably will, just give them time. A good friend's son was extremely long torsoed. 12 month pants were too tight, but right length when he was wearing 2-3T tops at 24mos. Looked exactly like Charlie Chaplin when he was walking around :p

My daughter has been in 18 month pants for over a year and after this recent growth spurt is in 3T shirts. She's still in Old Navy 6-12 month sized bottoms. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC