Expecting #3! 3 across in Hyundai Elantra

KaliShanti

We found out last week we are expecting Baby #3 due in late November/early December! Excited but overwhelmed a bit. Looking to save up for a van, but since that may not happen, I need to know how I can fit 3-across in my Hyundai Elantra 2003.

DS, 4 years old, 38 lbs
Currently FF in: EFTA DLX with LATCH

DD, 1.5 yrs old, 21 lbs
Currently RF in: Radian XTSL with LATCH

I really want an infant carrier for the new infant (and would have to get a new one anyway as our expired). Someone might give me their Baby Trend Flex Loc.

What do you think? I know my DS will have to get a new seat, so help!!

ADS

Aurezalia

First, congratulations!
Now, the bad news...
There's no way you'll be able to do it with the EFTA.
A RF Radian, FF Radian, and Keyfit might be doable. Any infant seat will almost definitely have to be baseless, and you'll need a Radian for your older child.
I love my car (02 Elantra) but it is NOT 3-across friendly! :thumbsdown:

KaliShanti

yikes :( Would it matters if I did seat belt installs instead of LATCH? I really do want an infant seat and base if I can. What about a Nautilus for the 4 yr old? Wouldn't it be a waste to get a Radian for my 4-yr old, so you think he'll outgrow it by height?

Has ANYONE done a 3 across in Elantra? :(

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Nautilus will almost certainly be too wide.

The Radian could be used by the 4yo while the baby is in the carrier, and then passed to the baby -- not sure what would work for the 4yo at that point (Auz, is the Maestro too wide?)

Aurezalia

yikes :( Would it matters if I did seat belt installs instead of LATCH? I really do want an infant seat and base if I can. What about a Nautilus for the 4 yr old? Wouldn't it be a waste to get a Radian for my 4-yr old, so you think he'll outgrow it by height?

Has ANYONE done a 3 across in Elantra? :(

My KF is lent out at the moment, but I should hopefully get it back soon and I'll try RN, RN, KF30 for you. I'm thinking it'll work, but fingers crossed!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
If you have to get the 4y a radian, you can hand it down to baby when baby outgrows the infant seat.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

KaliShanti

What about a booster/5 point for the 4 yr old like a Britax 85 or Recaro? I'd just like to get him a seat that would grow with him as opposed to the Radian if possible.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
those are both way too wide unfortunately... they are 18.5 and 19" wide. A Maestro *might* work as it puzzles with a RF Radian if I remember correctly. But it is outgrown shortly after the Radian and is outgrown as a booster the same time as the harness...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC