Vent So how do YOU explain your "addiction" to your spouse?!

Laurelz

:) I have a baby gear addiction... I know I do... mostly car seats and strollers. My husband just flat out doesn't get it. He thinks I need help :rolleyes:. I know I'm not as bad as I could be. Between two kids I've owned 6 carseats and 6 strollers, never all at the sametime *minus the 2 that are spares*. So is there anyone else who's spouse just doesn't get it, how do you deal with it? I always find a deal and I always sell/trade if I can so that I'm not in debt. I don't buy anything with a credit card, I always make sure I have the cash to cover it in my pp. So really what can he complain about?! I'll admit the things I buy we don't NEED, but I like it. We need an CA (car seats annonoymus) forum :p

ADS

Mom2FiveGirls

For me, I've had a different addiction with each kid... With DD#1 it was diaper bags. I had probably 20 at one point. With DD#2 it was pacifiers (until she stopped taking them at around 6 months). DD#3 it was bottles. At one point I had just over 100...yeah, it was insane! DD#4 it was strollers. Then with DD#5 its car seats. My car seat obsession didn't start until she was 2 and I started researching and learning about car seat safety and best practice, etc. I don't try to explain it to DH...its pointless :) I sell seats to help fund new seats and then use money I get from babysitting or as gifts, use gift cards I earn through swag bucks, etc to buy them. The only time money for car seats comes from our family budget/savings is when they are needed...and not just me "needing" to get a new seat...lol. DH's attitude is as long as I'm using "my" money to get new seats, he really doesn't care how many seats I have.

christineka

I sell stuff in order to gain the money to buy the things I want. Dh hasn't understood, until the latest purchase. I now have a cow car seat. He knows my love of cows, so that's understandable. I've vowed that my kids finally have enough car seats, so I won't buy any more for them. I still get to buy car seats to sell:) I'll also have to buy a few boosters in a few years:)

Evolily

What's his hobby?

I'm not addicted to gear, of any sort :p but I do think baby gear collecting can be a hobby. Some people take it to the point where it's disrupting their lives (debt, consuming a lot of time, taking away from family/friends/kids, etc) and at that point they need some sort of help. But if it's just something you enjoy doing, and have the resources to do, it's no different than someone who collects action figures or someone who outfits their car in the newest stuff.

Laurelz

THANK YOU! I never thought of it as a hobby. He doesn't have one, but he's a contractor with fancy, expensive tools... but those tools also support us so I don't say anything. :) I work part time at night to have my own spending money. I don't spend our family/household money unless it's for disposable diapers for the daycare, or groceries, or clothes from the consignment store for them. I see that as OUR expense as a family. The gear is my own habit and it will only last a few years until they don't need them anymore.

What's his hobby?

I'm not addicted to gear, of any sort :p but I do think baby gear collecting can be a hobby. Some people take it to the point where it's disrupting their lives (debt, consuming a lot of time, taking away from family/friends/kids, etc) and at that point they need some sort of help. But if it's just something you enjoy doing, and have the resources to do, it's no different than someone who collects action figures or someone who outfits their car in the newest stuff.

Mom2FiveGirls

The gear is my own habit and it will only last a few years until they don't need them anymore.

I tried telling my DH that, but then he pointed out that at that point my siblings would likely have kids and I'd buy for them...lol. He's probably right. I already told my sisters if they'd listen to me I'd buy car seats for their kids! :)

ctbcleveland

I don't explain, I point to his collection of cars and he shuts up about it.

:yeahthat:

My hobby is cheaper. Plus I only buy when I get good deals, so when I get sick of stuff - I typically get at least 75% back from what I originally paid.

The stroller thing is a little annoying to him right now - ahh - he'll be ok.

wavegal

This is funny because my DH has the same argument! He always says not another carseat, no more strollers, I do pay for them myself and then point out his dj stuff that takes up 75% of my garage as well as his computers and printers and all those parts, and explain those are his toys these are mine. I do agree sometimes people go too far and get themselves in big debt which i would not do! I also usually sell something to buy a new for the most part

AtTheSouthDam

My DH explained it me. It's my hobby and even when the girls are no longer in seats I will probabl still be up to date on the seats. He has no problems with it as long as I stay responsible about it.

msg221

I think that my love of not just car seats and other baby gear, but baby clothes as well, probably stems from the fact that I never thought I'd get to buy that stuff since having my own child never worked out. I have never tried to explain it to my DH and he's never said anything, so I think he understands. Well, except when I told him I didn't win any of the car seats that Combi was giving away at the Lifesavers conference, he did say "as if you needed another car seat!"

As soon as Nour and Zain were on the way, I had a blast shopping for them. And then the four grandbabies were born over the next 14 months after N & Z, so it hasn't let up! The baby gear purchases have slowed considerably but I pretty much have purchased each kids entire summer wardrobe recently!

ctbcleveland

Marsha - I am so glad you have such a great relationship with your godchildren and your grand-kids. Sounds like a "win-win" all around. They are lucky to have you and you are lucky to get to love all those cute little ones :)

msg221

Marsha - I am so glad you have such a great relationship with your godchildren and your grand-kids. Sounds like a "win-win" all around. They are lucky to have you and you are lucky to get to love all those cute little ones :)

I agree! I am excited too because tonight we are picking up Katelyn & Owen and we have them until Sunday afternoon! :D Their parents are going away for the weekend because it's my stepdaughter's birthday today and Daddy needs a break! He is a SAHD and it has been a long time since he's had some alone time with his wife!

Funny thing about all of the baby gear and clothes is that when my stepdaughter asked me what she should pack for the kids for the weekend, I couldn't come up with anything she needed to pack. I have the new clothes I bought them, I've got plenty of diapers, they have their own toothbrushes here and I already have all the other necessities, like sippy cups! The only thing I told her to pack is their favorite blankets and special toys (we've got a ton of toys here too!) Now how easy is that for them? Actually, for all the parents because it's the same when we watch any of the kids! They can pretty much just hand over the kids and we are set!

BabyKaykes

He pays for nothing. I have a MUCH bigger yarn habit than car seats. As long as I pay for it, without using credit, and it's not stacked up in every corner of the house, he doesn't care.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My habit/hobby is way less substantial than some, but I've been known to buy new seats that I don't absolutely *need*.

I don't have to explain. We have separate accounts. As long as I pay all the bills and cover all that I'm responsible for, he stays out of my budget and I stay out of his. If I failed to meet any of my obligations because I was buying seats, or if I put a seat on a credit card, he'd be upset and I'd deserve it.

kalamos23

BabyKaykes said:
He pays for nothing. I have a MUCH bigger yarn habit than car seats. As long as I pay for it, without using credit, and it's not stacked up in every corner of the house, he doesn't care.
Me too! Plus, I just point out that his gun collection cost way more.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC