Another child crime story where...

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
... maybe a previous charge of "driving with an unrestrained child" may have contributed to the sentence. So maybe it does matter and in some cases the cops do ticket folks for unrestrained children. Inspires me to continue calling the police when I see it. Awful story, by the way, about a mom taking "hush" money to tell the cops she didn't know her handicapped child was being molested. :mad:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...50094may15,1,6653567.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
how absolutely disgusting is that!? wth is wrong with people. i try to see both sides of the story, but the other side cant be much better. ridiculous.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Can you post the story text itself? I don't want to register to read it. :(

Erika

Erika,

I didn't have to register to read it. Hmmm - is it asking you to register? I can't remember where I first saw the story - CNN or FoxNews? I don't want to paste the complete text b/c it's lengthy but basically a mother found out that a "friend" who babysat her daughter (who has cystic fibrosis and is in a wheelchair) was molesting her. When she found out, the person paid her almost $10,000 to keep quiet, so she lied to the cops. It went to trial anyway and she was given over five years in prison. During sentencing, the judge mentioned a number of past incidents in which the mother "did not have the best interest of her children in mind" (can't remember the exact wording) and the article reported several issues, including a charge almost ten years ago of driving with an unrestrained child (in addition to a recent DUI accident in which she was drinking/driving and both of her children suffered broken bones in the accident). It's not clear if any of the previous charges/convictions affected the length of the sentence but it was clear that the judge felt that she showed a pattern of not caring for/about her children...

Ths reason I posted it here is b/c it mentioned the "unrestrained child" charge. Many of us often talk about calling the police when we see an unrestrained child but get discouraged when some authorities don't take it seriously or when nothing really happens. So seeing this mentioned in this article inspired me to start reporting unrestrained children again instead of thinking that it doesn't matter - b/c maybe it will matter, whether from saving a child from injury/death in an accident or helping to establish a pattern of irresponsible/neglectful parenting down the road.

I agree with Amber - it's sick. And that poor little girl, whose mother is supposed to love and protect her but instead let something like this continue and lied to authorities. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC