My thoughts on FF

Splash

Well, it's been a week now that Charlie has been forward facing.

At first, he wasn't too sure. He was annoyed, definitely. Plus, he's in the middle, so can now see EVERYTHING, instead of just a seat back! After a few trips he got the hang of it, though.

I was certain that I would be a wreck. However, I am much more comfortable with him FF. After a few trips, I know I made the right choice. He is so much more comfortable, and there is a major difference in his skin in just a week. I am sure there are other factors (there always are), but I know the RF was a big culprit.

I love being able to see him, and I like that he can see what's going on. I DON'T like that I cannot drink or eat anything (well, I almost never eat in the car) without him seeing me and wanting some, though! For the past two years, we've gotten smoothies at the same place every Sunday, and occasionally given him a sip when we get to our destination. Now we have to get him his own!

I bonk his head far too often. The seat is so high up. I don't know what I'm going to do about it. Britax offered to replace my BV with a Regent, I just haven't taken them up on it. I hate Regents.

The install isn't perfect. I know I have more than an inch side to side, depending on how hard I pull. There is no front to back movement, though. I'm not happy with the install, I'm really not. But it's the best I can get with this seat in this position. I wish it were more solid, but I take it. I've made an educated choice that, with no forward movement and just a little too much lateral movement, he is still safer in the center with a marginal install than outboard with a perfect one.

He's not objecting to going back and forth between cars. I worried he would. But, at 32 pounds, I'm not that worried. If he freaks, I'll turn him in the van as well. As it is, I can't imagine he's got more than a month left. But him FF in the van will present a whole new logistical nightmare (mainly it will likely mean turning a 17ish month old 26ish pound child FF in a BV with no top tether... NOT something I am looking forward to. Still examining the possibilities on this one).

I'm glad he remained rear facing full time for over 21 months. I wish that circumstances were different and he could have stayed rear facing for much longer. However, I know that FF in my car is the right choice for him at this time. And he really is enjoying it now that the shock has worn off.

Oh, and an added bonus... the chest bruising has completely subsided. Maybe how the harness sits, I don't know. I did move the harness up a smidge (about half an inch) above his shoulders in the other vehicle as well, and I think it makes a big difference on the bruising. So, FF has benefitted his health in more ways than one!

486414383_38d29e1454.jpg

Charlie's first FF ride.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I DON'T like that I cannot drink or eat anything
LOL, so true....

I hate Regents.
How come?

I used to bok Leila's head a lot, too -- she got fed up & told me she was climbing in herself ... had to plan some extra minutes into our trip, but she mastered it pretty quickly & it was easier on both of us then :)

the chest bruising has completely subsided.
Good to hear! & he's gorgeous as usual ;)

southpawboston

At first, he wasn't too sure. He was annoyed, definitely. Plus, he's in the middle, so can now see EVERYTHING, instead of just a seat back! After a few trips he got the hang of it, though.

for the first week, my DD1 was also very apprehensive... but after a week, she liked being able to see the world and also what mommy and daddy are doing up front.

I was certain that I would be a wreck.

eh, by that age FF is still quite safe, especially properly restrained. i'm in the minority here, that i didn't get all weepy and frantic when the time came (@ 24 months and 30 pounds) to turn FF. i knew it was time and didn't have any regrets.

I love being able to see him, and I like that he can see what's going on.

totally

I bonk his head far too often. The seat is so high up.

yep... that's my biggest complaint about convertibles in cars without tall sliding doors, but it applies (at least to me) both FF and RF...no diff in my case. bonked just as much either way. much better now with the RYS (no base). i only wish the new signos had a removable base, a la radian. on the other hand, the kiddos enjoy seeing out better when they sit higher, and i think there is anecdotal evidence (can't remember from where) that the higher you sit, the safer.

I've made an educated choice that, with no forward movement and just a little too much lateral movement, he is still safer in the center with a marginal install than outboard with a perfect one.

umm... i differ slightly on that one. i would take a "good" center install over a "perfect" outboard one, but i would take a "perfect" outboard over a "marginal" center. that's just me. especially with SIP and a car that gets great side impact ratings.

skaterbabs

Glad he's doing well, but the safest position is the one in which you get the best installation. If that's an outboard seat, then it's an outboard seat.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
umm... i differ slightly on that one. i would take a "good" center install over a "perfect" outboard one, but i would take a "perfect" outboard over a "marginal" center. that's just me. especially with SIP and a car that gets great side impact ratings.

I agree. I would rather install outboard if I could get a better install.

LuvBug

yup Id much prefer a perfect outboard install over a marginal center one. especially in a harness seat(SIP) with added SIP wings.

arly1983

I know you hate the regent ( I don;t love it myself except for the TALL top slots)

It will eat up your back seat space...

Maybe you could find one to try installing it. I am sure you would be really amazed how solid the long belt path is with the type of belts you mentioned...

So glad he is liking FFing and we totally know what you mean about the eating...

LuvBug

Maybe you could find one to try installing it. I am sure you would be really amazed how solid the long belt path is with the type of belts you mentioned...

she owns a regent, they use it in the van for another child.

I never had the bumping head problem with our marathon in the corolla, but it does have good head room.
Have you looked at the young sport?? it has the added SIP and sits low on the seat... pricey and only goes to 40lbs though.

Splash

The install isn't bad, by any means. It would pass at any seat check. I'm not worried about it being unsafe, I would just like it tighter, like I'm used to. At the movement really isn't at the belt path, mostly up by the head. With the top tether, I am certain that it is secure enough to be safe.

I might try the Regent, just to be sure. But right now I can still fit one person in the back seat with him (it's tight, but I can do it). With the Regent, I know I can't. It would have to be moved to the side, and I really didn't get a great install with belt there, and a horrible one with LATCH.

I'll check it out. I so wish the Radian would work...

Yoshi

Splash, when you say that the two parts of the seatbelt ends are far apart-I'm confused because in our Subaru Outback center position (with the same type of 3-part belt) the two ends are WAY close to each other which also presents installation problems. They are maybe 8" apart. I've only gotten the DC in there tight because of the FF lockoffs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC