Radian harness slipping?

ElfJewel

We got E a new XTSL last week and I have noticed the harness is not as tight as I would like. Then today when I was checking her I tugged on it at her shoulders and the whole thing pulled through. I think the lever on the adjuster is getting stuck open when I tighten. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem? I think I might give them a call and see if there's anything I can do.

ADS

monstah

I had the same problem and it has happened to numerous RN owners. I suggest contacting Sunshine Kids and NHTSA. Someone might be able to come along and link it for you.

I know Monstah was having this problem with hers. I don't know what the outcome was though.
I made Babywearing megan fully aware of the problem and traded it with her for a MyRide. She may have contacted Sunshine Kids about it, I don't know.

ElfJewel

Thanks. I don't think the cover is stuck, but I was pulling from behind when it pulled through so I couldn't see it. I had asked my husband to check it because I didn't like how loose it was, and he couldn't get it tighter either. I sent a message to skjp, but they haven't responded yet.

Chely7425

I had this happen to one of my 80SLs... I called, sent them a picture of the DOM sticker and they shipped me a new seat.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
This is not a new problem, and you are most definitely not alone. Please immediately report it to NHTSA and call Sunshine Kids. You will likely be told by SKJP that they've never heard of the problem.

I'll dig up some other threads for you to peruse, just one moment....

ElfJewel

I did report it to NHTSA. I haven't had a problem with the Super LATCH, but we've only had this van for a week and used seatbelts in the old one. This is very frustrating, I bought the Radian because it was the only seat I could find that would fit in the 3rd row with our other seats. :( I want it to work!

gsdguenter

I just got a new XTSL and used it yesterday for the first time. Well, the same thing happened to me! I pulled the harness from the top and it came all the way down loose. DD shouted "oh no! You're not going to drive with me like this are you?".

I did eventually get it to "catch" but is was really really hard to tighten.

I'll be calling SKJP in a few hrs.

gsdguenter

I filed my complaint but couldn't find SK on the list of manufacturers :confused: I swear I checked that list like 4 times!! I did put that it was a SK RNXTSL in the description of the complaint. But, I thought it was weird it wasn't in the drop down list. Anyone else have this issue?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
gsdguenter said:
I filed my complaint but couldn't find SK on the list of manufacturers :confused: I swear I checked that list like 4 times!! I did put that it was a SK RNXTSL in the description of the complaint. But, I thought it was weird it wasn't in the drop down list. Anyone else have this issue?

I think it might be listed under "Radian" or something. There are lots of weird categories on there from what I recall.

gsdguenter

I think it might be listed under "Radian" or something. There are lots of weird categories on there from what I recall.

ugh, go figure :mad: Do you think I should fill another one out or will it be okay if the name is in the description?

I called SK but they were busy and I hate leaving messages. So, for now I just won't be using that seat. I haven't had the issue with my older XTSL nor either of my XTs. The whole reason I got this seat was because I wanted the 45 lb. rfing limit and couldn't afford another MT:mad:

I am VERY annoyed!!!!!

ElfJewel

When I did mine I think I found Sunshine Kids but there was only 1 model # for the Radian. It was not right but since it was the only option I chose it, and put all the right info in the description. They haven't gotten back to me yet though, so I think I need to call. Does anyone have the # for someone who has been helpful?

BrendansMommy

Interesting. This happened to me this weekend on my XTSL. It was suddenly loose, and then I pulled and pulled and pulled on it. I checked the rear of the seat, the harness adjustor, etc. and it didn't seem to be caught on anything. It took about 5-6 solid minutes for me to get it tight again. I thought maybe I just was having an idiot moment (wouldn't be the first time :eek:). I've checked it multiple times since then, but the problem hasn't reappeared, so I continued to assume it was operator error somehow.

Seeing this thread doesn't make me feel good at all. I guess I'll be making some complaints tomorrow.

ElfJewel

I finally got a message from SK. They are sending me a replacement and a shipping label so I can return the broken one :thumbsup:

Meg

We got E a new XTSL last week and I have noticed the harness is not as tight as I would like. Then today when I was checking her I tugged on it at her shoulders and the whole thing pulled through.

How many times did that happen?

Yesterday I tightened the harness for my 4 year old son (FF) on his RN 80SL and I noticed it wasn't getting all the way snug. I put each hand on the harness by my son's shoulders and pulled, and the harness pulled straight out and fully loosened.:eek: Is this something worth emailing SK about? Or am I OK as long as I just double-check each time to make sure the harness won't loosen before we drive anywhere? :confused:

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Meg said:
How many time did that happen?

Yesterday I tightened the harness for my 4 year old son (FF) on his RN 80SL and I noticed it wasn't getting all the way snug. I put each hand on the harness by my son's shoulders and pulled, and the harness pulled straight out and fully loosened.:eek: Is this something worth emailing SK about? Or am I OK as long as I just double-check each time to make sure the harness won't loosen before we drive anywhere? :confused:

Notify Sunshine Kids and (maybe more importantly) NHTSA (link in the 7th post)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC