Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Radian harness slipping?

We got E a new XTSL last week and I have noticed the harness is not as tight as I would like. Then today when I was checking her I tugged on it at her shoulders and the whole thing pulled through. I think the lever on the adjuster is getting stuck open when I tighten. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem? I think I might give them a call and see if there's anything I can do.
    Julia CPST and Mom to 6 crazy kids:
    Megan (13), Kayla (11), Jamie (9), Ian (7), Emi (6), and Clare (2)- all riding safely in a 2011 Honda Odyssey
    And Our Angel Baby Aiden 8/26-27/15

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Re: Radian harness slipping?

Hey Julia. Is the cover getting stuck in the adjuster at all?

I know Monstah was having this problem with hers. I don't know what the outcome was though.

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35

I had the same problem and it has happened to numerous RN owners. I suggest contacting Sunshine Kids and NHTSA. Someone might be able to come along and link it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by zactayaus View Post
    I know Monstah was having this problem with hers. I don't know what the outcome was though.
    I made Babywearing megan fully aware of the problem and traded it with her for a MyRide. She may have contacted Sunshine Kids about it, I don't know.

Thanks. I don't think the cover is stuck, but I was pulling from behind when it pulled through so I couldn't see it. I had asked my husband to check it because I didn't like how loose it was, and he couldn't get it tighter either. I sent a message to skjp, but they haven't responded yet.
    Megan (13), Kayla (11), Jamie (9), Ian (7), Emi (6), and Clare (2)- all riding safely in a 2011 Honda Odyssey

I had this happen to one of my 80SLs... I called, sent them a picture of the DOM sticker and they shipped me a new seat.

Rachel, mom to an army of Ts

This is not a new problem, and you are most definitely not alone. Please immediately report it to NHTSA and call Sunshine Kids. You will likely be told by SKJP that they've never heard of the problem.

I'll dig up some other threads for you to peruse, just one moment....
    -Mandy
    CPST-I, Special Needs trained
    Mommy to two boys
    A ~ 9 years, 70 lbs ~ Boostered in Chicco KidFit & Graco SafetySurround
    K ~ 6 years, 45 lbs ~ Boostered in Parkway SG & Harnessed in Frontier85

Here are a couple:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=148238
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=158711

There are several other threads discussing the problems with the SuperLATCH spontaneously loosening as well. Have you had that problem with yours?
    -Mandy
    Mommy to two boys

I did report it to NHTSA. I haven't had a problem with the Super LATCH, but we've only had this van for a week and used seatbelts in the old one. This is very frustrating, I bought the Radian because it was the only seat I could find that would fit in the 3rd row with our other seats. I want it to work!

CPS Fanatic

I wonder if SKJP will come out with a recall and tube of lube fix...
    Mommy to two wild little boys and a little princess!
    DS1 (01/05, 46 1/2", 44 lbs), Boring Gray Turbobooster / Harmony Literider
    DS2 (07/07, 39 1/2", 40lbs), Harvest Complete Air / Booster Training in a Maui Blue PWSG / RSTV
    DD (07/09, 33", 23lbs), rfing Flair MyRide / rfing Scenera

Quote Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
    I wonder if SKJP will come out with a recall and tube of lube fix...

That would be better than pretending there's not a problem.
    -Mandy
    Mommy to two boys

I just got a new XTSL and used it yesterday for the first time. Well, the same thing happened to me! I pulled the harness from the top and it came all the way down loose. DD shouted "oh no! You're not going to drive with me like this are you?".

I did eventually get it to "catch" but is was really really hard to tighten.

I'll be calling SKJP in a few hrs.

I filed my complaint but couldn't find SK on the list of manufacturers I swear I checked that list like 4 times!! I did put that it was a SK RNXTSL in the description of the complaint. But, I thought it was weird it wasn't in the drop down list. Anyone else have this issue?

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gsdguenter
    I filed my complaint but couldn't find SK on the list of manufacturers I swear I checked that list like 4 times!! I did put that it was a SK RNXTSL in the description of the complaint. But, I thought it was weird it wasn't in the drop down list. Anyone else have this issue?
    I think it might be listed under "Radian" or something. There are lots of weird categories on there from what I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    I think it might be listed under "Radian" or something. There are lots of weird categories on there from what I recall.
    ugh, go figure Do you think I should fill another one out or will it be okay if the name is in the description?

I called SK but they were busy and I hate leaving messages. So, for now I just won't be using that seat. I haven't had the issue with my older XTSL nor either of my XTs. The whole reason I got this seat was because I wanted the 45 lb. rfing limit and couldn't afford another MT

I am VERY annoyed!!!!!

When I did mine I think I found Sunshine Kids but there was only 1 model # for the Radian. It was not right but since it was the only option I chose it, and put all the right info in the description. They haven't gotten back to me yet though, so I think I need to call. Does anyone have the # for someone who has been helpful?

Interesting. This happened to me this weekend on my XTSL. It was suddenly loose, and then I pulled and pulled and pulled on it. I checked the rear of the seat, the harness adjustor, etc. and it didn't seem to be caught on anything. It took about 5-6 solid minutes for me to get it tight again. I thought maybe I just was having an idiot moment (wouldn't be the first time ). I've checked it multiple times since then, but the problem hasn't reappeared, so I continued to assume it was operator error somehow.

Seeing this thread doesn't make me feel good at all. I guess I'll be making some complaints tomorrow.
    Laurie
    Brendan 12/04, Nautilus, Unharmed in wrecks in a BLVD, Regent, & FR85
    Peyton 4/09, MyRide, Unharmed in a wreck in a Keyfit 30 & MyRide

I finally got a message from SK. They are sending me a replacement and a shipping label so I can return the broken one

Quote Originally Posted by ElfJewel View Post
    We got E a new XTSL last week and I have noticed the harness is not as tight as I would like. Then today when I was checking her I tugged on it at her shoulders and the whole thing pulled through.
    How many times did that happen?

Yesterday I tightened the harness for my 4 year old son (FF) on his RN 80SL and I noticed it wasn't getting all the way snug. I put each hand on the harness by my son's shoulders and pulled, and the harness pulled straight out and fully loosened. Is this something worth emailing SK about? Or am I OK as long as I just double-check each time to make sure the harness won't loosen before we drive anywhere?
    Last edited by Meg; 04-20-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg

How many time did that happen?

Yesterday I tightened the harness for my 4 year old son (FF) on his RN 80SL and I noticed it wasn't getting all the way snug. I put each hand on the harness by my son's shoulders and pulled, and the harness pulled straight out and fully loosened. Is this something worth emailing SK about? Or am I OK as long as I just double-check each time to make sure the harness won't loosen before we drive anywhere?
    Notify Sunshine Kids and (maybe more importantly) NHTSA (link in the 7th post)