8 hr car trip, TB or cybex?

emars002

We are leaving late Friday for an 8 hour car trip. Madison could ride in the graco TB or the cybex, neither ever been used on a long trip and she will be sleeping as we are leaving late at night. I was thinking cybex originally as the head wings look "better" for sleeping but i have heard issues on here about kids legs falling alsleep due to the short seat depth. I am thinking if I make her a footrest it might be OK. Also my parents will have my girls and my car for 5 days while DH and I are a cruise. They are clusless about car seats and restarints and honestly think I am "over the top". Madison will freak out if the car moves and shes not buckled correctly and should watch her sister but I was thinking maybe the cybex would be better since its latchable so they can't move it or "remove" it which is more of my concern. Lastly, I was going to have Shaelyn in the FR85 but SBP was a total disaster in my subie so it is installed with latch since I haven't had time to play with LBP. I was thinking of leaving it that way because it hasn't loosened on me yet and then the seat belt can't accidentally be unbuckled. Just want to verify my plan here before I start loading up the car:)

ADS

Nisha

I just bought a cheap, lightweight footstool in the baby aisle at walmart to use with our cybex - if she's comfortable in it, I would use that since it should be better for sleeping!

emars002

I just bought a cheap, lightweight footstool in the baby aisle at walmart to use with our cybex - if she's comfortable in it, I would use that since it should be better for sleeping!

Thanks I will go check that out tomorrow!

CYBEX USA-2

The reclining headrest on the Cybex Solution X-fix will allow her to sleep comfortably and remain in position. The headrest tilts the head back slightly so it falls backward instead of forward which brings the torso out of position. Hope that helps!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I bought an ugly sleeping bag at Goodwill for $4 (and washed it in hot with oxyclean and vinegar!) and we use it as a footrest. It has ties so it stays rolled and tied, it won't hurt as a projectile, and in an emergency we have an extra blanket in the car.

emars002

The one I got has a solid rim around the bottom, instead of 'legs', and it has 2 holes in each side so I could actually bungee cord it to the seat legs!

This is the one we got - MINUS the potty seat! lol!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-Fairies-Soft-Potty-and-Step-Stool/11720535

That is cute! I think the tink will be a big hit! loving the bungee cord idea too!!!

I bought an ugly sleeping bag at Goodwill for $4 (and washed it in hot with oxyclean and vinegar!) and we use it as a footrest. It has ties so it stays rolled and tied, it won't hurt as a projectile, and in an emergency we have an extra blanket in the car.

That is a great idea!!!if I can't find the stool (which will help on vacation so Shaelyn can reach the sink at the condo:p) Then I think we have a sleeping back in the linen closet!

Last edited:

kater-tot82

Sounds like you have decided on the Cybex, but I wanted to sat that my DSD was really uncomfortable in the TB for an 8hr trip we took last October. She did fine in it for shorter trips (1-2 hours) but after 6 hours she complained that her back hurt and was miserable for the last couple hours. We have since replaced the TB with a Monterey and she's had no complaints on long trips since then. I'm sure some kids do fine in the TB on long drives, but mind didn't.

Safe travels :)

emars002

Sounds like you have decided on the Cybex, but I wanted to sat that my DSD was really uncomfortable in the TB for an 8hr trip we took last October. She did fine in it for shorter trips (1-2 hours) but after 6 hours she complained that her back hurt and was miserable for the last couple hours. We have since replaced the TB with a Monterey and she's had no complaints on long trips since then. I'm sure some kids do fine in the TB on long drives, but mind didn't.

Safe travels :)

Thanks! She loves her TB on short rides but we have never taken a long ride with her boostered before. She just came out of a harness a few months ago. The TB just doesn't look comfy enough for a long ride and that's why I was considering the cybex and from all the posts on here, I think that is definitely the way to go:)

Kat_Momof3

I would choose the cybex for the extra sleep support. The turbo works fine, but the extra padding will make for extra comfort.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC