I just got a new marathon for $70

mominabigtruck

Yes, I said $70, and you will never believe why. Apparently the mil bought it for the little boy and the mother decided that she didn't like the way it fit in her car so she put it on craigslist. The seat itself is 6 months old but the cover is trashed from being in their garage so I'm going to have to get a new one of those. But guess why she only wanted $70? So she could pay for her new seat, a comfortsport!! Can you believe that, trading a $250 marathon for a $70 comforsport:confused:

ADS

lovinwaves

Wow, a Comfortsport instead of a Marathon....hmm.....Don't you feel tempted to tell them? LOL!!

What is wrong with the cover?

southpawboston

how can the cover be ruined by just sitting in the garage for 6 months? just soak it overnight in oxyclean, then throw it in the washer. unless they used it as a grease rag, it should come out like new.

southpawboston

ah, okay, well then from someone who's had two cats for years and a DW who works at a vet clinic, let me suggest soaking it overnight in a bucket of diluted "simple solution" (active bioenzymes which degrade bodily fluids), then oxyclean, then throw it in the washer. ;)

our cat peed in our car, and the only way we got rid of it (after trying everything else) was to remove the back seat (!!!) and soak it in the bath tub (!!!!!) overnight in a tub full of diluted "simple solution". then we let it air dry for a few days... odor was GONE and seat was good as new!!!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Eeew.

So happy for you! RIGHT as i started seriously looking into car seats and stuff, when dd outgrew her crappysport by height at 22 months, our local target CLEARSCNCED Ma's for 1/2 price!! $109 for new Ma's!! I walked right by them, stopped to look, also looked at the 1/2 price other seats they had (enspire's, i think?) and left....well, a couple days later, as i was wading through all the info....I realized what an EXTREME deal that was, and raced back to the store....they were gone, of course! Boy, did I feel like an absolute monkey's butt!

mominabigtruck

I didn't know you could remove whole seats?? I think a cat has peed in our car because I leave the windows down at night when it's warm and now whenever I get in it and its how out its got a funky cat smell.

oxeye

LOL, yeah actually for a car seat that a cat peed on I'm not surprised why the seller didn't ask more for it. ;)

Great deal still, though! I'd have bought it. Is the grey foam and white styrofoamy stuff (that's the EPS right? LOL) still in decent condition? I'm not sure how you'd clean that.

southpawboston

I didn't know you could remove whole seats?? I think a cat has peed in our car because I leave the windows down at night when it's warm and now whenever I get in it and its how out its got a funky cat smell.

having done automobile restorations (and later audio/electronic equipment installations) , i have torn cars down to the shells and rebuilt them. everything that has been assembled in a car is also removable. ;) in the case of the rear seat, it was only two 14mm bolts, and the whole seat bottom lifted right out. barely fit in the tub though...:p

mominabigtruck

I'm just soaking the straphomy stuff in some bleach and of course I will hose the whole seat down and scrub it with antibacterial stuff.

Loves2sing

Considering it's urine, I would just get a new cover personally! You got such a wicked deal on it, so I wouldn't feel guilty for one second about spending $ on a new cover!

Melizerd

ah, okay, well then from someone who's had two cats for years and a DW who works at a vet clinic, let me suggest soaking it overnight in a bucket of diluted "simple solution" (active bioenzymes which degrade bodily fluids), then oxyclean, then throw it in the washer. ;)

That would have been my suggestion too. Is your DW a tech? I'm in school to become a Certified Veterinary Technician. I already work for a clinic though.

broken4u05

I have 5 cats but none of them have ever peed (sp?) in the house or in the car. good luck with teh cover.. you might be able to save it but if not even with buying a new cover it is still a good deal

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'd suggest replacing the harness, too, because soaking the straps in bleach, while probably effective for cat pee, goes against the manufacturer's recommendation of spot cleaning and no harsh chemicals. Even with replacing the straps and cover, it sounds like a great deal. :thumbsup:

lovinwaves

having done automobile restorations (and later audio/electronic equipment installations) , i have torn cars down to the shells and rebuilt them. everything that has been assembled in a car is also removable. ;) in the case of the rear seat, it was only two 14mm bolts, and the whole seat bottom lifted right out. barely fit in the tub though...:p

Ok SPB, any ideas on how to get a credit card out that fell down in the car door where the window rolls up and down? :eek: :whistle:

JaRylan

Yay on the new seat, eww on the cat pee, and hope the cleaning suggestions work.

LOL Lovin, guess that is one way to cut credit card spending. Is it affecting how the window functions?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC