Making money as a tech?

AnnaC

I'm sorry if there are other threads about this. I tried searching and couldn't find anything- I probably didn't know what to search for.

So do any of you techs make money from it?

I really, really want to get certified. But without going into our whole life story, our time and resources are very limited right now. We have one car, and my DH works 3 jobs and I work a part time job. Crazy crazy. So the point is that right now, if I'm going to jump through the hoops I'd have to in order to get certified, I'd want to be able to make at least some money from it in order for it to be worth it. (I'd have to find someone to watch my kids- probably in exchange for a personal seat check or something ;), and also borrow or rent a car to get to the classes. And then after I was certified, if I was realistically going to be able to get to checks, etc, I'd need to be making a little money to put towards a second car for us.)

Clear as mud?

Anyway, my main question is- Do/Can CPSTs make money, and how, and how much?

And yes, I'd totally love to do some volunteer/charity stuff with it. Probably will someday. I just don't have the time and resources to be able to do that at this point, at least not exclusively.

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'm sure in some areas they can, I do not though. The only people I know here who make $$$ at being a CPST are those who had to get certified for their job.

HayleyCPST

If you want specific info you are more than welcome to PM me.

In general though for me I think I had the option of waiving the class fee if I chose to volunteer. I didn't do that because getting paid at the checks paid for the class within 2 months of working.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I charge. I make enough to have a housekeeper come twice a month, and have a little extra money. But not enough to cover childcare and a car rental.

There are a few jobs around for CPSTs, but mostly it's getting paid by the check or the event, rather than a full time job as a CPST.

Wendy

AnnaC

I charge. I make enough to have a housekeeper come twice a month, and have a little extra money. But not enough to cover childcare and a car rental.

There are a few jobs around for CPSTs, but mostly it's getting paid by the check or the event, rather than a full time job as a CPST.

Wendy

Well I wouldn't rent a car each time, just possibly for the class. If I could make a little each month then we could potentially afford another car payment, if that makes sense.

So do you do checks of your own, like outside of the safekids checks? Pardon me if this is way off base, I honestly don't know much about how this works. I was wondering, like if I did get certified- could I put up some flyers at different child friendly places around town, advertising that I could come do checks for a family that wanted one? Or another example- I know the owner of a popular baby boutique/consignment store in the town over. I'm pretty sure a check there would go over well. Is that something I could coordinate, and could I charge a bit for it or possibly ask for donations? Just not sure what the rules/ettiquite is.

I've only ever heard of one seat check being done in my town since I've had kids. I haven't been actively seeking them, granted, but I do know a friend of mine saying she had to drive downtown(about an hour) to get her seat checked. I live in a suburb of Houston, if it matters.

Thanks for the input! :love:

AnnaC

And yeah, I'm not looking for something full time. Just some extra income, possibly enough for a small car payment.:)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I make enough to take on a car payment every month. At least most months.

95% of my checks are private checks set up via email or phone by parents. Most of those are expectant parents, then a handful of current parents. I volunteer a few times a year with SK or another agency in my area.

I wouldn't have done private checks or coordinated a check event on my own right after becoming certified. I think I did checks with SK for six months or more, then people started asking so I started saying yes. Even now I've not put together a huge check. But I'll work with groups to check a lot of seats at once.

The best way to market I find is to just start offering carseat advice on local parenting lists. Then when it's shown you know your stuff, if you drop hints here and there, or come out and say you do checks, people will start emailing. You do a few checks, and people will tell others about you and it kind of snowballs. I was doing enough as a volunteer (about 40 private checks a month, often more) that I felt it was really taking up a lot of my time. So I switched last August to charging. As expected the number of clients I have has dropped, but it's picking back up as people are telling other people I'm worth it.

I've also put my cards in birthing stores and our pediatrician's office, and I've gotten hits that way. I was also interviewed in the paper, and at least one person has contacted me because of that (though I had already helped her son and daughter in law, as it happened).

Wendy

AnnaC

I make enough to take on a car payment every month. At least most months.

95% of my checks are private checks set up via email or phone by parents. Most of those are expectant parents, then a handful of current parents. I volunteer a few times a year with SK or another agency in my area.

I wouldn't have done private checks or coordinated a check event on my own right after becoming certified. I think I did checks with SK for six months or more, then people started asking so I started saying yes. Even now I've not put together a huge check. But I'll work with groups to check a lot of seats at once.

The best way to market I find is to just start offering carseat advice on local parenting lists. Then when it's shown you know your stuff, if you drop hints here and there, or come out and say you do checks, people will start emailing. You do a few checks, and people will tell others about you and it kind of snowballs. I was doing enough as a volunteer (about 40 private checks a month, often more) that I felt it was really taking up a lot of my time. So I switched last August to charging. As expected the number of clients I have has dropped, but it's picking back up as people are telling other people I'm worth it.

I've also put my cards in birthing stores and our pediatrician's office, and I've gotten hits that way. I was also interviewed in the paper, and at least one person has contacted me because of that (though I had already helped her son and daughter in law, as it happened).

Wendy

How cool! That helps a lot.

And yes, I imagine you're well worth it with all the wealth of knowledge that you always share here. :)

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
I'm starting police academy in may so technically I'll be making money as a CPST...the local police department is paying my way so that I can be there go to girl on child safety since they are become a permanent checking station

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm starting police academy in may so technically I'll be making money as a CPST...the local police department is paying my way so that I can be there go to girl on child safety since they are become a permanent checking station

Good. One of the parenting boards I was talking about marketing myself on was trianglemommies.com (I moved from Holly Springs). Other than me and Chris at Rex (he seemed to be ok) there seemed to be no one east of RTP that did any checks. Certainly not anyone trustworthy (Cary Fire still did as of two years ago, and they were scary). I'm always looking for techs in the area to send people to. Right now the only tech I trust in the area is with Durham EMS.

Wendy

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
Holly spring Police department is going to be a permanent checking station as well as Knightdale Fire and Rescue...I live in apex right now but only do checks with holly springs because I took the class with them.

If someone needs a check I know we are doing a big one at the walmart in holly springs april 29th...HSPD just filled out the grant paper work so they are waiting for the money before they open it as a permanent checking station so they will have seats etc.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Awesome about HSPD. I probably still won't recommend them. There are a lot of places that DO checks, but have no clue what they're talking about. From the same car I pulled out 16 layers of shelf liner and undid the top tether from IN the backseat where they had pried it open and found someplace. Even though the top tether was marked 18" away. So unless I know them, I don't recommend them. You're here, so your stuff is known. HSPD didn't come here, even after I told them they should. They seemed better than most, but they were still brand new out of class when I worked with them. So hard to say how they are two plus years later.

Wendy

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
Honestly...some of my instructors worried me a bit...some talked about how the youngest should be in the middle instead of the least protected...and one didn't even know that carseats rf to 40lbs now. I know they cant all know about every single seat but I guess it was a little hard to believe since I had been on here for 5 months before taking the class. But one of the officers has a little boy who he put in a booster at 4...he went home and put the harness in is GN:D. I have told them to come here...i think I even borrowed the pamplet you made and printed it off and showed it to sgt. he was impressed, I might have you know they have given more tickets for child passenger violations in the last 2 months. I dk this crew seems alright but in the class there was a whole bunch of ppl i wouldn't take to have my seat checked

tarabelle

Honestly...some of my instructors worried me a bit...some talked about how the youngest should be in the middle instead of the least protected...and one didn't even know that carseats rf to 40lbs now. I know they cant all know about every single seat but I guess it was a little hard to believe since I had been on here for 5 months before taking the class. But one of the officers has a little boy who he put in a booster at 4...he went home and put the harness in is GN:D. I have told them to come here...i think I even borrowed the pamplet you made and printed it off and showed it to sgt. he was impressed, I might have you know they have given more tickets for child passenger violations in the last 2 months. I dk this crew seems alright but in the class there was a whole bunch of ppl i wouldn't take to have my seat checked

had this same experience. There was much oohing and aaaahing over my MyRide and a Radian that one of the gentlemen had.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I charge. I have a full time job, and I do some CPS for that, but I am not allowed to do seat checks here. We don't have many options in our area for free seat checks, many police departments stopped certifying people, the hospitals don't do it, we have very, very few check events per year. As far as I know, I'm the only one in CT who has a private seat check business. I do checks evenings and weekends.

I'm not the only one in the country, though. Besides Wendy, I can think of at least 2 others on the board who own or do checks for a private business. I know of at least one company whose techs aren't regular members of the board (that I'm aware of).

I get referrals from many of the same places as Wendy. One local hospital is handing out my brochures and business cards to her childbirth center class participants.

I carry insurance, have a website, and I am listed on the NHTSA inspection station locator.

I also volunteer for SK when there IS a seat check event.

AnnaC

had this same experience. There was much oohing and aaaahing over my MyRide and a Radian that one of the gentlemen had.

Cause a My Ride is sooo special. :rolleyes: Have they never walked down the car seat aisle at Target?!?

I charge. I have a full time job, and I do some CPS for that, but I am not allowed to do seat checks here. We don't have many options in our area for free seat checks, many police departments stopped certifying people, the hospitals don't do it, we have very, very few check events per year. As far as I know, I'm the only one in CT who has a private seat check business. I do checks evenings and weekends.

I'm not the only one in the country, though. Besides Wendy, I can think of at least 2 others on the board who own or do checks for a private business. I know of at least one company whose techs aren't regular members of the board (that I'm aware of).

I get referrals from many of the same places as Wendy. One local hospital is handing out my brochures and business cards to her childbirth center class participants.

I carry insurance, have a website, and I am listed on the NHTSA inspection station locator.

I also volunteer for SK when there IS a seat check event.

Cool, cool. Yeah that is what I was imagining doing, just wasn't sure if it was possible or realistic. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Bill Hall

CPS Technician
Awesome about HSPD. I probably still won't recommend them. There are a lot of places that DO checks, but have no clue what they're talking about. From the same car I pulled out 16 layers of shelf liner and undid the top tether from IN the backseat where they had pried it open and found someplace. Even though the top tether was marked 18" away. So unless I know them, I don't recommend them. You're here, so your stuff is known. HSPD didn't come here, even after I told them they should. They seemed better than most, but they were still brand new out of class when I worked with them. So hard to say how they are two plus years later.

Wendy

We try to do the best we can in the State of North Carolina to assure that parents and other caregivers all across the State have access to assistance from qualified and knowledgeable Technicians. The buckleupnc.org website has listings for permanent checking stations in NC. These stations have to meet our standards for being listed on the site. I feel confident referring parents to any of the sites found through:
http://www.buckleupnc.org/contacts_local.cfm

We do, however, know that not all Technicians are equally knowledgeable and skilled. If anyone is aware of any specific checking stations or individuals that you have concerns about, I would appreciate it if you would let us know.

Bill Hall
Manager, Occupant Protection Program
UNC Highway Safety Research Center
Chapel Hill, NC 27599

CPSTI, State of NC CPS Training Contact

919-962-8721
http://www.buckleupnc.org

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Bill, thanks for responding. I've been in Seattle for two years, so I can't speak as to the current status, but I see that those who were the absolute worst in the Raleigh/Cary area are no longer listed as a checking station. I'm very glad of that.

Right now when someone asks me who to go to in the Triangle, I have the Durham people go to Kathy Mellown at Durham EMS. She was an instructor of mine, and we've worked together. She impresses me as Good People and someone who is passionate and knowledgeable. And I tell Raleigh/Cary people to email her and hope that she knows someone in the Raleigh/Cary area who SHE trusts.

Wendy

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
Yes Bill thats great...I am trying to get into more checks here in the area...I am going to the safekids meeting tommorow and am hoping there are more events coming up in the area.

Mom2FiveGirls

Me too. And when I mentioned the radian having models that RFed to 45 lbs, one of the instructors said "yeah, but you won't ever see one of those". I'm hoping someone from the class is at the check up SK is doing next week (that I'm going to) because a girl I know who has 2 of her kids in radians is planning on going :) I'm also hoping now that the new recommendations came out that they will encourage ERF which is something they really didn't do in my class that really bummed me out :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC