Which car options would you choose?

melniemi

We're looking at 3 different vehicles and trying to decide which we want. We thought we had narrowed it down to:

Option 1: 2009 Chevy Suburban, 8 passenger, heated 6 way power front seats, in dash navigation, dvd, moonroof, 18,000 miles

Option 2: 2010 Chevy Suburban, same as above, 14,000 miles, no navigation - price almost the same on these two.

Doing more research, we found that the 6 way power seats only have lumbar support in the driver's side. The 10 way power seats have it in both. So we found:

Option 3: 2010 Yukon XL, power liftgate, back up camera, 10 way power seats--no dvd but it would be the same price as 1&2 after having one installed. No moonroof or navigation. 10,000 miles

So, would you rather have a moonroof + navigation or just a moonroof over the 10 way power seats + power liftgate? Is it better to have 1 more year of warranty over an in dash navigation?

We've never bought a real nice vehicle before and want this to be our vehicle for at least the next 10 years. Any opinions?

ADS

momtotwogirls

I would go with #3. Although we have a portable dvd player and navigation on our phones and also a tomtom. I dont think id want a built in dvd player jsut because my kids would want to watch it all the time and honestly they watch enough tv as it is.

jnamommy

I would go with Option 3. The power liftgate and backup camera sold me on that one :thumbsup:
I am horrified when I read news articles of kdis getting run over by friends/family accidentally, and love the backup cameras. I also really like my power liftgate, great when my hands are full, and really nice for my mom who doesnt have the arm strength to operate the liftgate.

You can always add a GPS/dvd later if needed.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
My opinion: the less things to go bad, the better :whistle: Buy a Tomtom, and go with the Yukon for the power tailgate. It is a godsend in my van! :twocents:

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd do #3.

I've had sunroofs/moonroofs, they're not big deal to me.

In dash nav is one more ($$$$) thing to do wrong. A $100 Garmin with lifetime map updates will do the same thing for less money.

I'd want less mileage, and better seats.

What does the IIHS say about the Yukon?

MoreLatte

Nak I'd go with option 3 too. I've never used my navigation and rarely use the DVD player-it's a pain because we only have a couple of headphones and the kids never agree on what to watch. Nowadays the older kids have iPods to keep them busy. The sunroof for me is only usable in town-too noisy if it's opened on the highway. And the kids complain if the sun is in their eyes. So I use the tilt feature on occasion. But really I could live without it.

melniemi

I don't see the Suburban or Yukon XL on IIHS? I do want a built in DVD but have no issue with having one put in(we travel a lot and they only watch it then). Dh likes the nav system, but we won't spend more for it - since this one had it for the same price, we were considering it.

I just found the Auto Check for the Yukon. It was a rental so now dh might not consider it:( I was wanting it for the power liftgate and back up camera.

Thanks!

momtoo3

I'd go with the Yukon.
We were just test driving a Yukon and 2010 Suburban a couple of weeks ago. If gas prices were not climbing I would be driving one right now :rolleyes:. Both are really nice vehicles.

vonfirmath

My dad, who travels for his work, prefers NOT having in dash navigation. It interferes and is less useful in general, as well as being WAY more expensive than buying a separate GPS system.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Ok, I know TOO much about the Suburbans and Yukons so let me ask a couple questions.

What models are the Suburbans? Is the first one a LTZ? It sounds like it is a LTZ with nav and dvd. Even if it is only a LT it has a power liftgate and if it is a LTZ it does too. And since it has nav it also has a backup camera. So that one has EVERYTHING and the others are all lacking something. I would go with number one hands down! :thumbsup: Unless of course the indash nav is aftermarket then that changes my opinion completely.

We have a Yukon XL Denali and I never use my lumbar so I guess if thats a huge deal to you I can see that being a factor but I am pretty sure my sisters Tahoe which is only a LT model has lumbar.

ETA: I am SO excited for you to get a new car. I know you will love your Subrban/Yukon...I really love mine and it is so nice with all the kids!

melniemi

Thanks all. I just called the dealer w/the 2009. The nav and dvd are aftermarket, this dealer added them:confused: The Suburbans are LTs - neither say they have the power liftgate on the specs. Hoping hubby will go check out the Yukon tonight.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I think for the LT models to have the power liftgate they just need the LT1 package which is pretty common.

Remember that most car salesmen don't know much about the products they sell so if they tell you it does or does not have something make sure your verify for yourself in real life. I have never met a car salesmen who knows more about the car I am shopping for than I do.

erikanohelani

My car has an in-dash system with backup cam, navi, bluetooth, satellite radio, etc. It is a JVC system that was installed by the dealership. Some dealerships install and warranty aftermarket systems.

Out of all the features, I don't think I would want to go without the backup camera. It provides reassurance. I like knowing what is directly behind my car. The in-dash navigation has been awesome, but you can get a navi device cheap these days.

BudgieStew

I had every single option you listed in one car and the back up camera and power lift gate are the two most important things to me out of that list. Well, heated seats too but you can't have everything.:p
Go with option three, buy a portable GPS and have the DVD player installed.

Honestly I could live without the lumbar support, never used it but I don't have back problems so take that as you wish. And I do love sunroof/moon roofs but honestly they don't add anything helpful to a car.

As for the back up camera I just bought a cheapie back up camera to install in my Subaru as I cannot live without it but it will not compare to a factory installed one.

crunchierthanthou

#3- backup camera, no question. It's my favorite thing about my car, and I felt lost driving my sister's Yukon without it.

also, we have in-dash nav and it's horribly out of date. It would be cheaper to get a nice Tom-Tom or Garmin than to buy the new cd to have current maps. :rolleyes:

melniemi

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. Dh has decided he absolutely must have the 10 way power seats. Lucky for me, that package also usually includes the power liftgate and always has the back up camera.

So now we are on the hunt again for a YukonXL - since those options are mostly standard and after searching last night, we can get one with a dvd and moonroof for the same price if we look hard enough and are willing to drive 3-4 hours to get it. Not fun, but hey, saving $3-4K makes it worth it!

Dani - I agree with you. The salesmen are fairly ridiculous and don't seem to know what they are talking about. I ask questions, they always have to go look and call me back:rolleyes:

We do have a garmin so we are real worried about a gps built in. It would be nice to not need wires and stuff, but not a huge deal.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC