FF 6 yr old in radian xtsl

faithmama3

So we found out that my son can't use his booster in my car because we have sewn on latch plates. Apparently these kinds of seatbelts are not tested with boosters. So until we get a newer vehicle (in the next yr) we need to put him back in a 5 pt. Or i can turn into a hermit and never leave the house which I don't prefer:( So we love our radians but I am wondering without having to take our radian out of our other car, will my son who is 48" tall and 50 lbs fit in the radian xtsl for at least a couple of months to a yr? Our technician doesn't think its worth the purchase but I need to be able to safely transport all of our kids in this car. He seemed to be going by the harness height, not the recommendations.

I would love to see pic of other larger kids in their radians/ radian xtsl!

ADS

Mom2FiveGirls

My 5.5 year old (she'll be 6 in September) is FFing in a radian, but she's fairly short torsoed. Could you get a nautilus or frontier instead?

faithmama3

My daughter is in a nautilus. I don't think the harness height is any higher in that seat. My son is pretty thin, so Im not worried so much about the width.

April

It really depends on his torso height. Where are his shoulders in relation to the top harness slot? I wouldn't BUY a convertable seat to FF a 6 year old if you're never going to use it rear facing, unless you need it for the narrowness in a three across. If you already have one and he fits that's a different story. If you're talking about actually purchasing a seat for him and you don't need three seats across, I agree with mom2fivegirls that a Nautilus or a Frontier 85 would be a better use of funds.
Posted via Mobile Device

faithmama3

we do need 3 across in this car and the seat would be used by a smaller child once my son outgrows it so convertible would be important down the road.

melniemi

I would get a radian 80 or 65 instead. SK allows you to go up to 1" above the top harness height, but the wings prevent that. To get full use out of the seat and hopefully get you through the year, I would want the option to go over the top slots if needed.

jess71903

Ambassador
Someone else can confirm, but I *think* the rule about sewn-on latchplates only applies if it is a lap-only belt. I can't think of any reason a sewn-on latchplate on a lap/shoulder belt would be against the rules when using a booster.

christineka

Yeah, that type of seatbelt is fine with the booster. The car seat manuals don't want to write a manual on seatbelt types, so they say you can only use certain types, though others are allowed as well.

faithmama3

Yeah, that type of seatbelt is fine with the booster. The car seat manuals don't want to write a manual on seatbelt types, so they say you can only use certain types, though others are allowed as well.

Really, my cps tech/instructor said that this seatbelt wasn't okay per the manual and his knowledge. It has double retractors, I believe they are automatic. It would be great if these are really okay with a booster. We use the monterey.

Baylor

The radian, is a 17 on harness height where as the Nautilus is 18 inches. So you are getting more height with that. I would keep him the Nautilus or get a FR 85.

faithmama3

Really???

My cps tech/inst. said it wasn't allowed. I want my son to be safe but if a booster is okay then we will keep using it. We have a monterey.

Thanks!

faithmama3

here is what the monterey manual says

The following seat belt types are NOT compatible with this
booster seat:
• Two-point seatbelts of any kind.
• Three-point seat belts with separate retractors for lap and
shoulder sections.

mine i believe is the three pt.

Cryssy Jane

christineka said:
It's not attached to the door is it?

Sounds like it is if it has two retractors. I'd assume on at the hip and one at the shoulder, whether or not that shoulder is on the door I'm not sure. But I thought most double retractor belts attached to the door. Although I also thought double retractor belts were typically only found in the front seats, so I may be wrong.

faithmama3

it is not attached to the door. the shoulder has a retractor and the the waist has a retractor. Both belts attach at the seat belt and are sewn on to the latch plate. Hope that helps. So from what I gather I am better off putting my son in the nautilus or the radian.

Thanks!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do the belts lock? Like, if you pull them all the way out, will they switch into locking mode? If they do, then it's maybe ok to install a seat with it, but if they don't, then you can't. Typically that warning of no dual retractors only makes sense for seats you have to install, I can't really understand why they would have it for a booster.

Baylor

Help me understand this.. Cause I can not. Why would you not be able to use that belt with a booster? Technically it is used in the same way as if an adult was sitting there. It will do the same job, I can only see an issue when installing a seat there.

christineka

I say it's fine then to put the booster there. I know you can't if the belt is attached to the door.

If the lap-belt is alr or has a switchable retractor, you can easily install a car seat. If the lap belt is elr, then you have to use a belt shortening clip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC