New car, new seats? Help me decide

melniemi

We are getting a 2010 Suburban or Yukon XL in the next week or two. We are going to keep our van so we'll have 2 vehicles that the kids can fit in.

Right now we have an 02 Venture. Kids stats and seats in the van are:

Ds1 10y7m, 54", 63#, Parkway
Ds2 9y7m, 53", 60#, Parkway
Dd1 6y9m, 48", 51#, FR85 harnessed, 2 slots left to go
Dd2, 4y3m, 39", 32#, RF marathon 65, 1-1.5" and 2-3#s to go
Ds3, 20mon, 32", 23#s, RF BV70

I also have a FR80, dd1 is almost to the top slot.
I have 2 backless boosters as well.

Ds1 will go in a backless in the new car - he will be center row and that seat tumbles for rear access and a hb will be a pain. There will be side curtain airbags, so I'm fine with this.

I'm torn on turning dd2. She did ride ffing for 2 weeks right after turning 4 - then she begged to go back rfing. She doesn't seem to care either way - but has been asking to turn around. Ds3 will rf for at least 2 more years.

So if I let ds1 ride in a backless in both vehicles and give ds2 parkways for both vehicles(he wants a hb), what seats do I get?

Boosters for dd1 for both? Booster for one, keep in Frontier in another? Give dd2 both Frontiers and give baby her ma in the van, putting his bv70 in the new car?

Splurge on a TWE for dd1 in the new car and get her a MR for the van, passing her ma on to baby for the van? And then giving dd1 both Frontiers, using one as a booster w/sg when she outgrows it harnessed?

Any input or ideas? Cheap is good, but I don't mind buying seats:whistle: And it has been awhile:whistle: lol

Thanks!!

ADS

Jillybeans5

I don't know what PW's you have or how the belt guide is in the originals but I couldn't use a PWSG in my Yukon XL's 3rd row because the seat belt came out of the back of the seat and wouldn't stay in the PW's open belt guide. My car is an 05 so the seats are a little different but I'm pretty sure the seat belt still comes out of the seat back. Just something to consider before you assume that the PW will fit there if you haven't tried it yet.

JerseyGirl'sMama

Squeeeeeee!!! :D I'm so excited for you! And I just have to say this - I love how succinct your question is. I would have been all over the place and rambled on and on...

I have a couple of questions:

-How does DD1 do in a booster? Are you comfortable with her being in a booster full time yet?

-How often will the kids ride in the current van?

-Do you have two benches in the new vehicle with 6 seating positions? (I'm thinking another baby could possibly be in the future :love:)

melniemi

Didn't think about the seatbelts in third row - thanks!

Dd1 has only ridden in a booster a few times. I *think* she would be okay.

The new car will be 8 passenger, so 2 benches.

The van will be driven 1-2x/week for quick trips to town(7-8miles) - to save on gas and miles on new car.

Thanks!!

Pixels

So you have:
DS1, hbb/nbb in van, nbb in Burban
DS2, hbb
DD1, harness, maybe booster
DD2, RF/FF
DS3, RF

2 nbbs
2 PWs
FR 85
FR 80
MA65
BV70

I count 8 seats and 5 kids times 2 vehicles equals two new seats at a minimum.

Let's see.
DS1, backless in both
DS2, PW in both
DD1, FR85 in one, new seat in the other
DD2 I would turn, personally, because she is asking and over my personal cutoff age. She gets FR80 in one vehicle, new seat in the other. If you think she might want to turn again, make it a convertible, if not, then a combination seat.
DS3 gets the MA and BV

melniemi

So you have:
DS1, hbb/nbb in van, nbb in Burban
DS2, hbb
DD1, harness, maybe booster
DD2, RF/FF
DS3, RF

2 nbbs
2 PWs
FR 85
FR 80
MA65
BV70

I count 8 seats and 5 kids times 2 vehicles equals two new seats at a minimum.

Let's see.
DS1, backless in both
DS2, PW in both
DD1, FR85 in one, new seat in the other
DD2 I would turn, personally, because she is asking and over my personal cutoff age. She gets FR80 in one vehicle, new seat in the other. If you think she might want to turn again, make it a convertible, if not, then a combination seat.
DS3 gets the MA and BV

Ds1 is in a parkway in the van now, but I'm fine with him in a backless in both. Your thoughts are very similar to mine. I was thinking PWSG for dd1 for the van and FR85 for dd2 for the Suburban. I have a feeling the DVD player will convince dd2 she really does want to be ffing.

Also considering a MR for dd2 for the van, FR80 for the Suburban. Or PWs for ds2 and dd1 in the van, new booster for ds2 for the Suburban (worried the seatbelts won't work now per above post).

TWE sounds great, but my last 2 are so tiny, they really don't need it! lol

Jillybeans5

The seat belt issue is only in the 3rd row so you might be able to put your FF harnessed kids back there and the PW in the 2nd row and be fine, if you want to that is.;)

melniemi

There is only 1 top tether anchor in the 3rd row though, I'd prefer the ffing harnessed kiddos tethered :)

JerseyGirl'sMama

I agree with what you are thinking, Mel. Since DD2 is so small and still wants to RF, I'd go with a RFing seat in the van. I think I'd feel fine with turning her forward in the Suburban since it has safety features your van doesn't.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC