New Booster Seat Law

cartuin

I heard on the news today that next July 2008 there will be new booster seat laws. I am trying to find information online but I can't find any. Does anyone have a link I could use?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
So is this just in BC then? At least it is a step forward! Hopefully Ab and Sk will follow!! YAY!

Yep, provinces make their own laws when it comes to seat belts and car seats. I wonder if AB will follow suit in the coming years. Official info updated in 2006 now recommends a booster until age 8 or 80lbs, but it's not law...

Although I have to feel irked at that article where they quote the mom with the 3yr old who weighs 40lbs and will be in a booster until he's 8. Good for being in a booster, but why isn't he in a harness? We do have seats that harness to 48 lbs here in Canada and then convert to a booster, so why not put him in one of those? 8 lbs could be another 2 yrs. I guess it just bugs me to quote somebody and make them seem like they're well educated on car seats, but not to put more info in.

And why didn't they mention backless boosters? For a tall 7 yr old, it's possible they may need one of those.

mommycat

Nova Scotia just passed new laws last year - I am so happy with these rules as they are so complete:
The new regulations take effect Jan. 1, 2007, and will help parents choose the right kind of car seat, based on the size and age of their child. Under the rules:
-- Infants must be secured in a rear-facing child seat;
-- Children who weigh at least 10 kilograms (22 pounds) and are at least one year old may face forward;
-- Children who weigh less than 18 kilograms (40 pounds) must be in child seats.
-- Children who weigh more than 18 kilograms must be in a booster seat if they are younger than nine years of age and/or less than 145 centimetres (57 inches) tall.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Nova Scotia just passed new laws last year - I am so happy with these rules as they are so complete:
The new regulations take effect Jan. 1, 2007, and will help parents choose the right kind of car seat, based on the size and age of their child. Under the rules:
-- Infants must be secured in a rear-facing child seat;
-- Children who weigh at least 10 kilograms (22 pounds) and are at least one year old may face forward;
-- Children who weigh less than 18 kilograms (40 pounds) must be in child seats.
-- Children who weigh more than 18 kilograms must be in a booster seat if they are younger than nine years of age and/or less than 145 centimetres (57 inches) tall.

Ooooh, I like the and/or with the booster seat requirement. I've always wondered why say 4' 9" tall or 8yrs old when some kids still don't fit a seatbelt properly at 9, especially in bigger vehicles.

And the official 22lbs AND 1 yr requirement are good to see in legislation. Here in AB it's recommended, but that AND isn't on the records. At least most convertible seats aren't approved for ff'ing use until 22lbs anyways. :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC