Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    CPS Fanatic MsFacetious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    991

    Graco Snug Glider???

    Has anyone seen this???

    http://store.usababy.com/product/car...ug-glider.html

    I think it would be handy for baby #3 when I can't keep driving to let them sleep. HOWEVER, I can see serious misuse and injuries already with people not strapping babies in, ect.

    Plus I just prefer to hold the baby most of the time anyway... but with kids who have trouble sleeping, ect I can see it being handy. I can also see it being dangerous though.

    Any thoughts?
    Ali and Sadi born 2003 - 5 stepping
    Kai born July 2015 - Foonf and spare Scenera Next


  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    CPS Technician Loves2sing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    1,074

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    I could totally see it coming in handy, if your kid is a swinger. Jenna loved her swing, and I had her in it a lot. She seemed to prefer the swing to my rocking . Well, in her defence she was born in a very hot August with an extended summer. But I don't think I personally would bother with the Snugride swing, as I already have a swing, and my swing also swings side to side, which was Jenna's preferred method of swinging.
    http://store.babycenter.com/product/...o?scid=SSE:GOO
    The other reason I think I would leave it, is because I think it would just give people another excuse to leave their kids in the carseat way too long. It is better for their spinal development to take them out of the seat when you arrive at your destination. Although, that thing would be mighty handy for church. I used to be either missing the whole service in the nursery, or pacing back and forth with her in the back of the sanctuary. That would have been nice to stick in her in her swing at the back and get to sit down for a while.
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

  4. #3
    Senior Community Member tarynsmum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    Yeah what Amanda said (re: the leaving them in the seat). I see it sort of as a way for parents to have no physical interaction. Not saying everyone who buys/uses it is doing that, but inevitably there will be parents who stick the baby in the carseat and walk away I don't have the links right now, but leaving a baby in that prone position all the time can lead to plagiocephaly (flat-head) and can't be good for emotional/physical growth either. I would rather have DD in a sling or carrier, or even just in-arms, than going from one 'device' to another, kwim? Not flaming anyone or anything, just my
    ~Heather
    DD: 8 years old, 48lbs, 50". DS: 5 years old, 36lbs, 40.5".

  5. #4
    CPS Technician
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    Quote Originally Posted by tarynsmum View Post
    Yeah what Amanda said (re: the leaving them in the seat). I see it sort of as a way for parents to have no physical interaction. Not saying everyone who buys/uses it is doing that, but inevitably there will be parents who stick the baby in the carseat and walk away I don't have the links right now, but leaving a baby in that prone position all the time can lead to plagiocephaly (flat-head) and can't be good for emotional/physical growth either. I would rather have DD in a sling or carrier, or even just in-arms, than going from one 'device' to another, kwim? Not flaming anyone or anything, just my
    well parents that are going to leave their kids are going to do it with or without a swing...

    and there are several causes of plagiocephaly, and it typically takes more than just hanging out in the carseat or swing to get bad enough to be noticed (ever since the back to sleep campaign, plagio has gone through the roof) as long as baby is getting appropriate amounts of tummy time it should be fine. but like aleahs plagio was cause by her torticollis...

    i loved my sling, and preferred it to anything else. but this wouldve come in handy ALOT since aleah had reflux and couldnt sleep laying flat. too bad i didnt see it before lol.

  6. #5
    CPS Technician Loves2sing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    1,074

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    Well for Aleah then this would have made a lot of sense. I would have used Jenna's swing for that problem though. She actually did end up taking a lot of her naps in the swing!
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

  7. #6
    CPS Technician Splash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NOT Florida
    Posts
    3,565

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    Graco Snug Glider- Now making it completely unnecessary to ever touch your baby....
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you. 
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.  

  8. #7
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,772

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    Not a fan. For one thing, it encourages 'detachment parenting'. For another, infant seats are just not GOOD for baby's spines! Carseats should be used IN THE CAR...not as baby holding devices in the house.

  9. #8
    Senior Community Member tarynsmum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Graco Snug Glider- Now making it completely unnecessary to ever touch your baby....
    This is pretty much what I was trying to say without being so blunt (I didn't feel like I've been around long enough to be that open with my wording). Thanks for doing it for me
    ~Heather
    DD: 8 years old, 48lbs, 50". DS: 5 years old, 36lbs, 40.5".

  10. #9
    Senior Community Member broken4u05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,567

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    ok this has been talked about before and again i say with the boys i watch there where many times that they feel alseep in the car and i wanted them to sleep just a little bit more to get a bottle ready for them or let one sleep more so i could feed the other and i was rocking the seat with a foot and feeding on baby. I would not use it all the time or as my every day swing but sometimes i would have liked the few more mins of sleep so i didn't have to feed them both at the same time at 3 months. I liked feeding them one at a time but sometimes couldn't because they both woke up from an outing (the few we took) at the same time.

    That being said i can see how many people would over use this and have their kid in it too much and so on and i do not think i would get it uless i have twins but with 2 some help would be great
    Kristina- Nanny to Jack and Drew now 3 years old Not a mother yet.

  11. #10
    CPS Technician
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    i just reread my post, i wasnt tryig to contradict your post taryn...lol..jsut trying to elborate on it

  12. #11
    Carseat Crazy elle7715's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    660

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    IMO, the only people who would get enough use out of it to justify buying it, would be the ones abusing it. I can see how it'd be handy every once in a while, but it's not worth $60! A lot of babies practically live in their car seats and it breaks my heart.
    Registered Nurse, BSN and Mommy to
    A ~ FF in Recaro Probooster, 8
    J ~ FF in Radian 80, 5
    B ~ FF in Radian XTSL, 3
    A ~ Keyfit 30, 1

  13. #12
    CPS Advocate lovinwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri USA
    Posts
    8,050

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    Quote Originally Posted by elle7715 View Post
    IMO, the only people who would get enough use out of it to justify buying it, would be the ones abusing it. I can see how it'd be handy every once in a while, but it's not worth $60! A lot of babies practically live in their car seats and it breaks my heart.
    Just wondering how you that other infants are "practically living" in their carseats? You would only know that if you were with the infant 24/7.

    If you see an infant in a bucket in public do you automatically assume they are there all the time?

    I am a SAHM and my kids were NEVER in their infant seats at home, but when we went in public they were in there. Which is not bad for them. But, I would hate for someone to assume my baby was practically living in their carseat, because I left them sound asleep in it while DH and I enjoyed a nice out to eat meal, you know?

    Just trying to make the point that... "Things aren't always what they seem"
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

  14. #13
    CPS Technician
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    once again i see where this post is going to go. so before it goes there can i just remind everyone that every member here has a different parenting style than the next. just try to keep that in mind when talking about different ways parents handle their children. again i dont think that anyone on this board intends to harm their children. so can we keep any judgmental posts to a minimum?

  15. #14
    CPS Technician Jewels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,004

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    Personally, I didn't like leaving my baby in his carseat if not in the vehicle. Even when we went to the city I felt bad leaving him in there. I would rather hold him, have him sitting in his stroller or wear him. Even for walks I feel it is better for babies to be laying or sitting if they are old enough too. The only thing I like about travel systems is it is convienent to put a carseat onto the stroller for quick ins and outs or if you really need too (ie. cold weather). I think different positions are good for babies and they shouldn't always be in there carseats although I know at times it is easier to have them in their seats and I don't think that just because I see a baby in their seat that they are always in there, really I am just checking out the seat and wondering if the baby is strapped in properly! Just my

    As for the swing, I wouldn't use it. Wasn't there a baby who died when the caregivers took the carseat into the house while the baby was sleeping and the baby died? Can't remember all the details, I will have to look for them tomorrow.

  16. #15
    Carseat Crazy elle7715's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    660

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    Quote Originally Posted by lovinwaves View Post
    If you see an infant in a bucket in public do you automatically assume they are there all the time?
    Nope, and I sure hope others don't assume that of me either. I 'wear' my kids a lot, but if I'm running errands and my son is content in his car seat, then that's where he stays. If we're in the mall for a decent amount of time and he wakes up, well then yes of course I'll take him out. But I see no reason to wake up a perfectly good sleeping baby. Once we had an entire dinner (with actual conversation LOL) with our daughter sleeping in the infant seat. She fell asleep right after we got in the car and didn't wake up until we got home. There's a time and a place for car seats, and I love the convenience of infant seats. I just hate the overuse. One of DDs cousins has spinal problems because of too much time in the car seat. When she was hungry they would prop the bottle and just leave her in there. It got to the point where she would be upset if she was taken out of it. She 'liked it so much' they used it as a car seat until she was 18 months old. So maybe I overreacted a bit because of that, but yes, some babies do live in those seats.
    Registered Nurse, BSN and Mommy to
    A ~ FF in Recaro Probooster, 8
    J ~ FF in Radian 80, 5
    B ~ FF in Radian XTSL, 3
    A ~ Keyfit 30, 1

  17. #16
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,772

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    I assume when I see a baby sitting for hours (yes HOURS ) in a carseat in a private home that he is in there all the time. I don't have a problem judging that

    FWIW, it's not necessary to have an infant carrier to enjoy a meal in a restaurant. I wore my kids in a sling, and brought the infant carrier just in case they wanted to stretch out it in. That didn't happen very often though

  18. #17
    CPS Technician Splash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NOT Florida
    Posts
    3,565

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    Charlie spent far more time in his basket than I would have liked. I couldn't use a sling with him, it would have been far too painful for him, not to mention dangerous.
    If we were going to be somewhere for a long time, I took him out. Otherwise, I left him. I did this because picking him up rubbed his skin off and caused him tremendous pain. I would have loved to put him in a sling or carry him around, but just holding him hurt him.

    So yes, most kids in the baskets are there because their parents are ignoring them (my nephew, for instance). But sometimes there is a real reason that the kid is there.
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you. 
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.  

  19. #18
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Georgetown, TX
    Posts
    182

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    Well, considering the cost of most (higher-end) swings, I don't think it sounds that outragious... I mean it's basically half the cost of buying a swing, if you already have the snugride to use in it.. I know that both of my kids had their moments where the swing was the ONLY way I could put them down for a few minutes. I held/wore them a lot, but mom has to have a break every once in a while to go to the bathroom or fix dinner, KWIM?

    Ages ago (like 12 years or so?) there was actually a swing on the market that featured a removable carrier (and I think it may have even had a cradle type attachment for the swing too) - I never really understood the removable carrier thing though..
    Sarah
    Seth - 6 (48lbs, 48") harnessed in Radian65
    Kaia - 2 (25lbs, 33") RF in Radian80
    Odin - born 7/7/07 @ 9lbs5oz in a Flex-Loc

  20. #19
    CPS Advocate lovinwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri USA
    Posts
    8,050

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    So yes, most kids in the baskets are there because their parents are ignoring them (my nephew, for instance). But sometimes there is a real reason that the kid is there.
    Ignoring them? So, are you saying the baby needs 24/7 attention? I mean my kids were in their "baskets" when I needed to eat, do laundry, go to the bathroom, take a shower, etc.. I would hardly say that is ignoring a child, would you?

    Also, my friend has 4 kids. Her newborn has a lot of time in his swing, bouncy seat, etc... He gets to see everything that is going on, and mom constantly talks to him. She wears him when she can, but I don't blame her for not doing it ALL the time. And, when she is not wearing him I don't think for even a second she is ignoring him??

    When you say "ignoring" I immediately think "neglect".
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

  21. #20
    Senior Community Member broken4u05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,567

    Re: Graco Snug Glider???

    the boys spent a lot of time in the swing and the bouncy seats not because i was ignoring them but because i had to get things done. Like i said they are twins and also they had a hard time with eating so it would take 30-45 mins to feed each on and than i would be holding whoever i was feeding but than when the other one had to eat i used the swing, a chair or a play mat. When i was not feeding them i would play as much as i could with them but i also had to wash dishes, bottles, make bottles and do the laundry. And they ate every 2-3 hours so it seemed like i was always feeding someone. And like i said before i would love that swing because that would of saved me a soar ankle from pushing it with my foot to keep one asleep for just a little longer. And when we went out we had a double snap and go so they stayed in their seats. I would take them out as much as i could but i never felt bad for putting them down.
    Kristina- Nanny to Jack and Drew now 3 years old Not a mother yet.

Similar Threads

  1. What to do w/ old Snug Ride?
    By mrsmag in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 06:38 PM
  2. Graco Snug Ride measurements???
    By Unregistered in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 07:52 PM
  3. Graco Snug Ride
    By cara1 in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 11:31 PM
  4. Lexus IS 300 and Graco Snug Ride
    By roncasa in forum Car and Vehicle Safety
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2002, 07:22 AM
  5. Graco Snug Ride DX 5 (old base) and 2002 Odyssey w/latch
    By orangevale in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-23-2002, 07:26 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •