Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Swingset Recommendations

I have a huge backyard, so space is not an issue. Money definitely is. I don't want to spend more than I *have* to, but I don't really have a set budget in mind. Definitely will be under $1000, though.

My kids are 4.5 and 1.5. I want something that will last a while, but something that the baby can still use now. I'm always leary of the wooden sets because of splinters, but is that really a concern? The Little Tikes plastic stuff would certainly be ideal for the baby, but won't interest my older daughter for long. We're in PA, so extreme weather is not a concern.

I am completely lost on what to look for/what to get. What do you guys have? What features do your kids like/use the most?

Thanks, Amy

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member R&J'sMom's Avatar

Re: Swingset Recommendations

We have this set and we LOVE it! Free shipping for a limited time too!

http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?pro...8D1DD938121900

CPS Fanatic

That is NICE! It's really at the top limit of our budget, though. Bit I do love it. How old before they'd outgrow it, do you think?

Amy

Senior Community Member sirrahn's Avatar

There are some smaller (and cheaper) versions of that set. We don't have a swingset (although I've been eyeing that one too;-), but we have a couple of the other Naturally Playful items (storybook cottage and the sand/water table) and we've been extremely pleased with them.

Our HOA requires only wooden playsets in the backyard, but we had splinter issues with the wood one we had at our old house and I think that Step 2 one might be nice looking enough to pass muster. We do have a park just around the corner so we really don't need one, but I've really been thinking it would be nice to have something more in our backyard this summer.....

Anyway FWIW

Carseat Crazy

Sam's Club has play a round sets I think the one with one fort is less than $1000. And it is made by Cedarworks.

Jenn

Yeah, one of the Play-A-Round sets might work for you. I looked into the big one very heavily, but ultimately went with another company.

Charlie's set is on order from Kid's Creations. It is well more than you are willing to spend, but they do have some cheaper (smaller) ones. His set is WAY more than he needs, but hopefully it will keep him happy for ten years.
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you.
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.

Senior Community Member R&J'sMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amy919 View Post
    That is NICE! It's really at the top limit of our budget, though. Bit I do love it. How old before they'd outgrow it, do you think?

Amy

I would say probably 8 years old. My neighbors came over with their older boys and they had a ball on it. We have had lots of climbers and this is by far our favorite!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Yeah, one of the Play-A-Round sets might work for you. I looked into the big one very heavily, but ultimately went with another company.

Charlie's set is on order from Kid's Creations. It is well more than you are willing to spend, but they do have some cheaper (smaller) ones. His set is WAY more than he needs, but hopefully it will keep him happy for ten years.

Can you tell me more about it these? Can you swing on them yourself? Does it sway or sag?

which one did you get?

I don't want to trample this thread, pm me if you want.

I have the one they had last year from Sams (bought it at the end of the year for $300 off!), and we really like it. Assembly was easy, it weathered the winter just fine, and our girls (4 and 6) love it. I can swing on the swings (190 lbs) and it doesn't budge. I can also climb in the loft, no problems. My butt can't fit on the slide though

We were going to build a set from scratch, but honestly I couldn't even buy lumber, let alone swings, slide, monkey bars, climbing holds, handgrips, etc. for the price Sams was charging, even at full price. At $300 off.....I would have had to be an idiot.

I can say that company's customer service is EXCELLENT. The set I bought had some damaged boards and a missing climbing rock, and they replaced them very quickly and with 0 hassle. I mailed them back early this year to inquire about getting additional decking boards to deck over the sandbox area, and got an email back the same day! About the only regret I have is that the one they have at Sams THIS year looks way cooler with the tunnel, though it's more expensive
    Tam
    Mom to two long-torsoed girls and one boy!

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

What about something like this? Here's David Stiles' website, which has excerpts from his various books. My local library has several books about building forts, playhouses and treehouses. You can start really small (well under $1000), but plan it out so that you can add on when the kids get bigger.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

CPS Fanatic

We have a wooden set from Home Depot. There are lots of options for various budgets. http://www.swing-n-slide.com/timberbilt/index.htm actual price will vary depending on the price of lumber in your area. The Pine Bluff kit was either $79 or $89, and comes with the hardware, 2 swings, and a trapeze bar. We did the basic swingset, but customized with an extra 3 feet on the top beam on each end, so that we've got a climbing rope on one end (and will sometimes switch that out to a disc swing, which are around $20), and we've got a hammock chair hanging on the other end. We also bought the baby swing for $20. If you look at the pic of pine bluff that it shows, with the fort and cargo net, that's basically what we did, minus the fort section.
    There are lots of options - the tire swing is around $90, the "outrigger" 2 person swing is $80, cargo net is $40... you can totally customize, though. (and buy non "timberbilt" products for way cheaper for your extra stuff...)

ETA - we've paid under $250 so far for ours. lumber, kit, baby swing, rope, and extra swing hangers.
    Kelly, mom to Aaric (7.5 and 65 lbs), Mikayla (6 and 52 lbs), and Xander (20 mo and 25 lbs)
    No more Huskies due to a wreck...
    Xander's in a MA, Mikayla in a GN, Aaric is temporarily in the pink Vivo...
    Graco SS1 due to come out of retirement in Jan 09

Carseat Crazy

We also have a Swing-n-Slide set that we've happily used for several years. DS was 1 when we got it, and DD is 9 now and still happily using it, so it's good for a lot of age ranges. You can get heavy-duty swings and anchors for it that will safely hold adults, and there are lots of different configurations and pieces you can add on. You can do one for just a couple hundred dollars up to several thousand dollars depending on which set and which components you go for.